Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by semi
Some also say they are ugly, but they look like any other rifle.

First — I’m not being mean spirited.

To me, - it’s the handle end of the bolt that does NOT look like any other rifle. It’s ‘almost’ like they added the handle as an afterthought. <just me>

I had a 110 C in 7 RM and it shot well but ‘n8dawg’ summed up my feelings,

Originally Posted by n8dawg6
the action is built like a tank, magazines are flimsy, barrels collect copper. all mine shoot well.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Rodney Dangerfield! I like that! Here is a couple of my Rodney’s

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 11/01/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that Savage 110 series rifles are less attractive than the comparable rifles from Rem/Rug/Win. I think that the Marlin X guns are the most attractive rifles in the Savage 110 series and don't understand why Marlin could make an attractive rifle with the same positive attributes as the Savage 110 series and Savage never bothered to make the effort. I also don't understand why Remington didn't keep the Marlin X gun design in favor of the 783.

EDIT: Although it almost makes me gag to type these words, I prefer the Mossberg Patriot to the Savage Axis. I bought a CeraKoted Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 Creedmoor to use for a loaner. With a Signtron S1H 3-9x40 in B-Square rings it is a surprisingly good shooter with the 125 grain Winchester/Olin Deer Season XP factory load. One of my son's friends who comes from a non-hunting/shooting family is going to use it when he joins us on 11/10/18.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 11/01/18. Reason: Added comment
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just my opinion, right? Butt ugly, with a few of the higher end models with nice wood stocks being "fondle worthy", ha. They all shoot well, some very well. My family down in Texas love the "cheap combo rifles/scopes) in 7mm Rem Mag for East Tx! They throw them on the 4 wheeler/mud/rain/wrecks/ice/frost and kill their deer/hogs usually under 75yds! If one gets ruined (broke) they go to Academy and get another! ha.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'll admit that Savage bolt guns based on the original 110s are strong, safe, accurate, and presumeably reliable. They were among the first, if not the first to offer left-handed models. They were, however designed with economy of manufacture strongly in mind, so feature composite construction, and metal parts made with modern techniques that often don't look and feel to me like gun parts should. I have a couple of rifles that are "tools", but for the most part I like rifles that are "nice" as well as good. It's strictly personal preference, but that view is just as valid as those that regard them like hammers, or that place accuracy as the be-all end-all reason for their existence. I also feel strongly that Mausers and others that use Mauser principles make the best rifles for traditional hunting methods, that is to say for example not super long-range hunting or exterminating pigs en masse over feeders or from choppers. Nothing wrong with any of that, but it's not something I do.

Everyone ought to buy and use what they prefer and quit obsessing over what's popular or what others use. This is, as Old Jack used to say, all fun and games.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by semi
Some also say they are ugly, but they look like any other rifle.

First — I’m not being mean spirited.

To me, - it’s the handle end of the bolt that does NOT look like any other rifle. It’s ‘almost’ like they added the handle as an afterthought. <just me>

Jerry

When I see one closing I subconsciously expect to hear flushing sounds.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I own or have owned 5 Savage rifles and all have been good shooters. Latest one is a stainless Axis .270, and I had to put a Rifle Basix trigger in it. With a couple other minor tweaks, it shoots as well as my stainless Tikka T3. The current Axis 2 in stainless has the Accutrigger and is $296 at my local WalMart.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
They should offer a special run of rifles that don't have rough bores.

It is the rough bores that make them shoot great right out of the box, dontcha know?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The 110s were solid if no frills rifles. I can’t warm up to the Axis. It is about the ugliest bolt action in the planet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a 30-06 110 for over 30 years. It shot great the day I got it and it still does. It's beat up and ugly but it still gets the job done when called upon.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
But, who wants to call?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
They should offer a special run of rifles that don't have rough bores.
They already did. I got one in .223.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I think that Savage 110 series rifles are less attractive than the comparable rifles from Rem/Rug/Win. I think that the Marlin X guns are the most attractive rifles in the Savage 110 series and don't understand why Marlin could make an attractive rifle with the same positive attributes as the Savage 110 series and Savage never bothered to make the effort. I also don't understand why Remington didn't keep the Marlin X gun design in favor of the 783.

EDIT: Although it almost makes me gag to type these words, I prefer the Mossberg Patriot to the Savage Axis. I bought a CeraKoted Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 Creedmoor to use for a loaner. With a Signtron S1H 3-9x40 in B-Square rings it is a surprisingly good shooter with the 125 grain Winchester/Olin Deer Season XP factory load. One of my son's friends who comes from a non-hunting/shooting family is going to use it when he joins us on 11/10/18.
Crypes, how many "loaners" do you need ? I think that makes about the 150 th I've heard you blab about. You hunt with a gottdam army of moochers or what ?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The 110s were solid if no frills rifles. I can’t warm up to the Axis. It is about the ugliest bolt action in the planet.

Every Savage I've ever owned shot well. I really like all the 10-110-11-111-16-116 series Savage rifles.

However, I HATE the Axis and would never buy the awful looking things when I can have one of the above models!

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 11/01/18.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Crypes, how many "loaners" do you need ? I think that makes about the 150 th I've heard you blab about. You hunt with a gottdam army of moochers or what ?

laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 204, 22-250, 243, and 270 chamberings in Savage bolt guns. One of them shoots ok... the other three shoot very well. None of 'em are pretty. I wouldn't be ashamed to own another.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
or date fat chicks?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have had a couple of Savages 110's and a 116 over the years. Most if not all have been very accurate. I still wished I had them all.

I currently have savage 110 that I put a 264 win mag barrel on, dropped the barreled action into a Houge Stock and it is scary accurate. Added an aftermarket tactical bolt handle ( that made the heavy bolt lift go away) Had my bolt body fluted, added a timney trigger set to about 2 pounds, honed the bolt lugs and raceway to smooth up bolt operation , set a good scope on it and it turned out to be a nice rig. All the above was done here at my house,

As far as the Axis , no thanks. I have heard they are accurate, but they are just not my thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the safety location and userability on a Savage.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
I like the safety location and userability on a Savage.

Couldn't agree more. I wish there were more 3 position tang safeties on the market.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.