Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Orion6 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I’m looking to get a “pretty” (aka old school Walnut and blued) hunting rifle in the next few months. This will likely be a one-time purchase, and more of a splurge to have a semi-heirloom grade of rifle to leave to my oldest daughter. Hopefully for her future son/daughter.

I have always loved Model 70’s, 700 BDLs and the like. I grew up reading my Dad’s hunting and gun books, so I just have a thing for a classic looking rifle.

What do you guys think of the current Portuguese 70’s? I wish I could have snagged a SC made Winchester, but the fact that it’s imported really doesn’t bother me too much, as long as the quality is there. I like everything from the Featherweights, Sporters, and Super Grades. I REALLY like the Alaskan model with irons.

700 BDL. I know Remington has been a dumpster fire at times, but I do have a soft spot for them. I like the iron sights even though I’d never use them. Remington has always used pretty Walnut, and almost all BDL’s I’ve looked at have been gorgeous.

I’d consider other brands, but what I’m really looking for is that classic American hunting rifle. Am I missing any to consider? I’d like to keep it around $1000, give or take. That doesn’t include the scope, which will likely be a Leupold of some flavor.

Thanks for any input.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Without a doubt, the Model 70. Superior in every way, EVERY way and by every valid method of effectiveness to a 700. If you are going to splurge, I'd go the Super Grade, but they are more than a grand.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would consider a Model 70 supergrade as #1 and perhaps a Kimber Super America.

O
Orion6 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Without a doubt, the Model 70. Superior in every way, EVERY way and by every valid method of effectiveness to a 700. If you are going to splurge, I'd go the Super Grade, but they are more than a grand.

Buds has standard-caliber Supers for just a hair over $1000.

Have you been able to check out the Portuguese made ones? I just want to make sure they’re top-notch. I assume so, but need reassurance. 😄

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You can always pick a rifle with a sub standard stock and have theses guys put on a truly amazing stock. I’m not against a top of the line M70 at all, just tossing it out as an option. You can have the stock LOP, grip, checkering and everything else done to exactly you’re liking. I had considered getting a M70 Featherweight done. Look for a pic of K22s Kimber as an example of a gorgeous Deer rifle. That’s the one that started me on the journey of having one done custom. Mine is a Barrett Fieldcraft because I still wanted a relatively light rifle, but they do a lot of M70s and M700s.
As a bonus, it will not only look great, but having a full length CNC aluminum bedding block will help with accuracy.

https://www.aigunstocks.com/

Here’s my Barrett. The wood was mine, they have fancier wood available. I’m playing scope roulette and as of yesterday it’s wearing a Leupold 6x36 with LR Duplex in Talley Lightweights.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prm; 11/02/18.
IC B2

O
Orion6 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by prm
You can always pick a rifle with a sub standard stock and have theses guys put on a truly amazing stock. I’m not against a top of the line M70 at all, just tossing it out as an option. You can have the stock LOP, grip, checkering and everything else done to exactly you’re liking. I had considered getting a M70 Featherweight done. Look for a pic of K22s Kimber as an example of a gorgeous Deer rifle. That’s the one that started me on the journey of having one done custom. Mine is a Barrett Fieldcraft because I still wanted a relatively light rifle, but they do a lot of M70s and M700s.
As a bonus, it will not only look great, but having a full length CNC aluminum bedding block will help with accuracy.

https://www.aigunstocks.com/

Wow. Some of those look incredible. That would put me well over my price range though. I’m ok with factory wood, I just want it to be nice.

Honestly for the money I think the Super Grade 70 is probably going to be hard to pass up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last time I hunted with a "pretty" rifle, I spent more time making sure I didn't scratch the nice wood, or put a mar on that beautiful blued metal. That's why every rifle I hunt with has a synthetic stock, and preferably stainless metal.

Of course, I grew up using "pretty" guns, because that's we had back then.

O
Orion6 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The last time I hunted with a "pretty" rifle, I spent more time making sure I didn't scratch the nice wood, or put a mar on that beautiful blued metal. That's why every rifle I hunt with has a synthetic stock, and preferably stainless metal.

Me too. But I have cheaper rifles for most days. This is more a “want” than “need”. I just want to have something with a little class. 🙂

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look for a M70FWT with decent wood. Browning shotguns have been made in Portugal for years. One of reasons FN moved the production to Portugal was that the SC plant was used to making military firearms and didn't handle the wood stocks with enough care so they ended up with a lot of dinged stocks.At least that's what was said on the internet. CDNN sold a bunch of them.
My wife has a Super America and it is one sweet little rifle.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Orion6
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Me too. But I have cheaper rifles for most days. This is more a “want” than “need”. I just want to have something with a little class. 🙂

A Sako L579 Deluxe would be nice and usually around $1K within a couple hundred,depending on the gun. Some have very nice wood. There was also some Sako 85's sold at Cabela's a few years back with exceptional wood.

I might simply look around used until I found one. Don't be hasty. I've seen exceptional custom guns on here from very trusted members right at $2K ,that probably cost more than twice that to build.

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Wow. Some of those look incredible. That would put me well over my price range though. I’m ok with factory wood, I just want it to be nice.

Honestly for the money I think the Super Grade 70 is probably going to be hard to pass up.

I hear you. If you had an old M700 that already had some history you could spruce it up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beauty is as beauty does and I'm too hard on a rifle to be using anything but camo painted synthetic and stainless. My nice shotguns have the best wood because I can pick the days that I want to go clay or bird shooting, but come opening day rain or shine I'm going to be out there. I'm reminded of the guy that I hunted ducks with a few times that kept his shotgun in the case until he saw a duck. Scrape the finish when you climb a tree of dash your stock on a rock in a stumble and you will look at that scar every time you see the rifle. There is such a thing as too nice and some of the customs are sure in that camp for a hunting rifle. I put a nice buck into launch mode with the shine off my too shiny rifle and I've been camo ever since. It is one more thing that I can control.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Good advice thus far.

A Model 70 Super Grade is never wrong. You might also look around for a used Remington 700 CDL or a Ruger #1. Some of those have gorgeous wood. Also, check the fencepost thread for more ideas.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might want to consider something vintage as well, seems like they were more likely to have nice wood "back in the day".

And as others have said, I think it's pretty hard to argue with a super grade. I would make sure you can view it in person before committing to a purchase though, never know what you'll get buying sight unseen.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’m looking to get a “pretty” (aka old school Walnut and blued) hunting rifle ............ I wish I could have snagged a SC made Winchester, but the fact that it’s imported really doesn’t bother me too much, as long as the quality is there. I like everything from the Featherweights, Sporters, and Super Grades........ I’d like to keep it around $1000, give or take.

You still can snag a SC Win Model 70.

I have a Winchester model 70 Feathetweight in 30-06 I was getting ready to sell. It IS indeed a snaggable a FN / South Carolina made and assembled BACO vintage ( not assembled in Portugal) rifle. Original BACO trigger. Blued steel. Nice walnut stock with a little figure, cut checkering, and factory Decelerator recoil pad, 2-piece Leupold blued steel bases with windage-style rear base ( Redfield style, not dual dovetail). I bought it used, and have never fired it. Bore is bright and shiney. No modifications. Blue is great (95-97++ % or higher ?). Very smooth action. Nice rifle.

I went through a BACO stage buying stage, and now I’m sitting on 3 Winchester model 70 BACO vintage rifles ( 2 sporters, and this featherweight). I just like the sporter version better. The Featherweight is now on the selling block.

$640, including shipping/insurance to a lower 48 FFL. FFL must be able to receive from private party ( if not, then add $25 to originate from my FFL). Drop me a PM if interested. Can send pics.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
These things are subjective. Do not decide off the web. Just go with what feels right when you pick it up in the store. One of those you pick up in the store should be a Weatherby Mark V.

Conetrol mounts!

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Not sure what your budget is. However, many really nice custom rifles here for significantly less than the price to build them:

Hallowell Custom Rifles

Currently having my first truly custom rifle built. Hope to ensure that it has several "Character marks" from hunting before the next generation picks it up smile

Last edited by Orion2000; 11/02/18.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
No one mentioned a Kimber Super America? I haven't owned one, the ones I saw in the shop sure look purdy.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another thing to consider is that Winchester has announced they are coming out with both stainless featherweight and stainless super grade rifles either late this year or early next year, both with upgraded stocks. I have not seen any confirmed delivery date on them, but the stainless guns would be something a little different compared with the normal blued ones, and everyone seems to really love them. I have two BACO ones myself and really like them. Ill probably pick up another in a different caliber once they come out. These would be Portugese made rifles.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by noKnees
No one mentioned a Kimber Super America? I haven't owned one, the ones I saw in the shop sure look purdy.

The second reply mentioned a Kimber Super America?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 260madman, 40 invisible), 2,800 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.