Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Kellywk
I’ve got a Belgium .270 that I inherited about 10 years ago. Was my grandfathers only cf rifle since the late 60s and he would shoot probably 30-50 pigs, coyotes and deer a year with it. I’ve shot it probably 500 rounds since I’ve gotten it. Never had a jam and it’s as accurate as any bolt rifle I’ve ever owned. Other than a pre Garcia sako I think anyone is going to have a hard time finding more vintage rifle for the money they are selling for

Agreed and Congrats Kellywk, as far as moving parts, an old skeet shooting bud of mine says you cant wear out and A-5 either. cool

Trump Won!
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kellywk
I’ve got a Belgium .270 that I inherited about 10 years ago. Was my grandfathers only cf rifle since the late 60s and he would shoot probably 30-50 pigs, coyotes and deer a year with it. I’ve shot it probably 500 rounds since I’ve gotten it. Never had a jam and it’s as accurate as any bolt rifle I’ve ever owned. Other than a pre Garcia sako I think anyone is going to have a hard time finding more vintage rifle for the money they are selling for

If you haven't done so it is time to clean out the gas valve and port. 500 to 600 rounds is where the hand book says they should be cleaned. When I had one years ago I didn't bother reading the book and eventually it started stove piping! I went quite a bit beyond the recommended cleaning point but I wouldn't recommend trying to find out where that point is in your rifle. After mine was cleaned I never had another problem with it. Actually after the first cleaning I made a point of doing it annually. It only takes a few minutes and then you know it should be trouble free.

Jim

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I never was a BAR fan, but here's one I traded for. The wood needed restoring, metal was as is. I refinished the stock, sent it to Errol Case in MO to restore the fancy checkering. That doubled the value.

I then traded it for a Dakota 76, .270.

I in turn traded that one for my Ed Brown Damara .300 WM which is a keeper.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice piece DF, would have had to have been hell and high water for me to ditch a Dakota though. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own two BAR'S and have handloaded for a couple others. I've yet to experience a bad one. They are a bit on the heavy side and the triggers are spongy as heck. But they are accurate and reliable.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always wanted a BAR, but just never took the plunge.

For those of you who've had them; how difficult are they to field-strip?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I've always wanted a BAR, but just never took the plunge.

For those of you who've had them; how difficult are they to field-strip?

Benelli R1.

Look into it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have two of them, ~3000 rounds between the two of them, never a failure to function. Not once.

David

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by nugget28
I have 2 Portagual assembled BARs. I got a 7mm with a leupold for 600 and a LNIB 308 for 650. I feel good about those purchases.
I have a opportunity for a 69 belgium 270 grade 2 condition 90% plus, with the elk and antelope etching. Price 900. Trying to figure out what kind of a deal this is.
Gunbroker is kinda all over the place from 700 to 1200. I dont know yet the prices and worth of the old belgium ones. Any info would be great. Thanks for the time .

Check for salt wood years. I dont know if any got on BARs.

Killed my booner with Sandbillys BAR Short Track in 308. I would love one of those light, well balanced short actions rifles in 243.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/08/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Nice piece DF, would have had to have been hell and high water for me to ditch a Dakota though. smile

Yeah it was a nice rifle. I like the Ed Brown Damara .300 WM better.

And, it was chambered in an unspeakable round with a .277 bore.

I do have my pride.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I do have my pride.

DF

Bwaahahaha, I sold mine to the debil, two 270's live here. sick grin

Trump Won!
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I do have my pride.

DF

I have one closet .277 mystery bore. It is an old Springfield I put together as a mere lad. I was young back then.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm sure you're forgiven, I do have six of one flavor or another 300 mags here, maybe that'll get me a bit of redemption too. wink

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
gunner, if you could spend some time with this 300 WM Ed Brown Damara, you'd forget about that 270 Dakota.

I traded even with Hendershot Sporting. Lance sent the Dakota back for stock refinish, it showed some wear.

This one is mint and Ed no longer makes them. LAW bought his tooling and the 704 action design (CRF with round bolt). Some of the LAW guns get good reports, IMO they aren't at the same level as these. They trying to build a $4K rifle at half the price point.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I do have my pride.

DF

I have one closet .277 mystery bore. It is an old Springfield I put together as a mere lad. I was young back then.

DF

Here's my high school project .270. It's sorta heavy but shoots very well.

Springfield, SS McGowan, Herter French Walnut, Timney, fitted, glassed, inlayed, checkered by me.

DF

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That Brown is a nice stick DF, reminds me of my 7mm Mashburb Redneck built up for me, that Springfield is screaming wide whitewalls, fender skirts and a pack of lucky strikes. laugh

Bet it was a fun project nonetheless, to my untrained eye, the checkering looks GREAT!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
My new to me BAR 338 will be here on Monday, going to be sleeting with snow mix, maybe I can find enough light to get the chrono to fire a couple readings.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That Brown is a nice stick DF, reminds me of my 7mm Mashburb Redneck built up for me, that Springfield is screaming wide whitewalls, fender skirts and a pack of lucky strikes. laugh

Bet it was a fun project nonetheless, to my untrained eye, the checkering looks GREAT!

laugh

Maybe throw in some mud flaps...

The checkering was back when I could see... wink

And, it was a fun project.

That BAR does sound like a "gunner" piece, big ole bullets coming at ya fast... cool

DF

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/10/18.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That's nice, bet the old rifle was a shooter, 10-roger on the muddy flaps too, we got roomsmile, I'll be looking for an easy accurate 2800-2850 with the 210 NPT's for now, will work up a serious all game load with the 250 NPT's this Spring.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That's nice, bet the old rifle was a shooter, 10-roger on the muddy flaps too, we got roomsmile, I'll be looking for an easy accurate 2800-2850 with the 210 NPT's for now, will work up a serious all game load with the 250 NPT's this Spring.

Figured you for a bolt gun and/or classic type gun purist.

Not expecting to see you branching out with a semi-auto, although, IMO, the BAR is the best in class regarding build quality and accuracy.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
David's Benelli R1 may be the exception to the BAR being "best in class". I've never used one, although a good bud had one in 300 WM that he thought a lot of.

Those Benilli's are accurate, may outshoot the BAR. That may depend on the individual gun. In making the "best in class" statement, I was thinking Rem 7400 and those that followed, and the Win 100. I had a bud with the Win 100 and it would shoot 3" on a good day off the bench. I glassed the 6" or so of the forearm that touched the barrel, shrunk groups in half. It has a big hollow area in the stock for action bars to operate, only the last 6" or so of the stock actually touches the barrel.

I was never able to do much with the Rem 7400 series, other than improve the trigger. What you see is what you get. The BAR will generally out shoot the Rem and Win. And it seems to be a more solid, better built gun than either of those.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/11/18.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 76 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.