Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I'm in the market for a new ML. I last one was a CVA Optima Elite. After speaking with a CVA tech, he recommended getting a newer model as there is no replacement parts for that model. Fair enough.

Looking at a CVA Accura V2 Nitrite
or Traditions
or T/C

Can you tell me which of the Traditions and T/Cs I should be looking at please?

Also

Can anyone tell me about their experience with the Federal Premium B.O.R Bullets.

Thank you

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I assumer you're wanting an in-line. I shoot the CVA Accura and love it. Great shooter and I really like the thumbhole stock. My friend shoots the Wolf, which is much cheaper but shoots just as well.

It all comes down to which one "feels" right when you pick it up. All 3 of the makers you list make a nice rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is there some part you need for the Optima Elite? Far be it from me to discourage anyone from buying a new rifle, but models change so fast that you’ll be in the same boat again in 5 years. Parts can generally be found somewhere, even if it’s not from the manufacturer.

NRA Endowment Life Member
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the replies folks.

@RememberBaker no part that I can tell needs to be replaced but recently when I cleaned my Optimal Elite I could not / can not separate the barrel from the stock. When I called CVA they said that it sounds like an issue. I could send it to then but that there are no parts for it and it may be a better option to just replace it. I try to take care of the things I own but replacing my 1 and only muzzle loader once every 10 years is not that big a deal to me.

So another question for both of you. My Optima Elite's barrel is cut to exactly 0.5". I found early on that most projectiles come in at anywhere from .50" to .506". I love the fact it has such tight tolerances but it does make it harder to find a projectile that fits. There are a few like Power Belts or Thor (I think was the brand) with a custom range. I did find a guy out of CO that custom swags for .50".

Are your CVAs all set to .50? What is your favorite projectile? Have you tried the Federal B.O.R locks? How do they fit? How well do they kill?

Thank you again in advance.

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
No Excuses has a "fit" kit you can buy that has different diameter bullets .

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a traditions pursuit got it directly from traditions on closeout. came with scope and it is a great gun.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
We have multiple brands of muzzleloaders. Right now our group carries. Two optimas, 2 vortex striker fires and 5 encores.

We only shoot Black horn.

Optimas need different breech plug

Strikerfire we drilled the flash hole just a bit bigger.

Encores shoot well just heavy.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I bought an Optima V2 and shot it a few weeks ago. I was shooting 245gr Powerbelts with 150gr white hots. I was getting 3 shot clover leaf groups out of it at 100 yards. Very impressed with it so far.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by HaYen
I'm in the market for a new ML. I last one was a CVA Optima Elite. After speaking with a CVA tech, he recommended getting a newer model as there is no replacement parts for that model. Fair enough.

or Traditions
or T/C

Also

Can anyone tell me about their experience with the Federal Premium B.O.R Bullets.

Thank you

HaYen

Hi, just giving you my opinion. If I had to choose between JUST the muzzleloaders you listed, some may not agree, but i would get a Traditions Vortek LDR(long distance rifle)with 30" barrel, or any Traditions Vortek where it says it has a 4140 chrome moly barrel.
I'll tell you why:4140 steel is modern rifle steel and that matters, to me anyway. I'll tell you why later.
I HAVE a Traditions Vortek magnum with 209 primers. It is light, has a 1:28 twist, 28" strong fluted barrel that's ported and reamed on the end to start bullets easier. The barrel is very strong. Rated to 150grs BP sub, I use 120-150grs BH209 with 300 grain sabots or 300 to 600 grain cast fullbore flatnose bullets just as accurate. No matter whether I use light sabots with 150grs of powder or heavy bullets with 120grs powder, it will dial in. It wears the scope real well.Mine has the barrel all one piece with the older style breechplug that doesn't have a lot of pressure bearing surface area. They also make a newer "accelerator" type plug that removes easier. For its weight and what loads we use,it's recoil is mild enough for my 120-130 lb petite wife to get good 100-200 yard groups and me even tighter. I sighted it in with 300g MMP sabots/140grs BH209 and I'm also able to use a 540 grain lead fullbores/110grs pwdr with a holdover. The barrel does have good features and Traditions makes some 300-350 grain full copper jacket Spitzer polymer tipped bullets that are great in it too.

Just for info:
That being said you may want to check into a stainless steel Knight muzzleloader, if you're buying new check out the Knight Mountaineer.Its strong. I have an older Knight Revolution and it has a .503 Green Mountain 1137 steel barrel, which is .503 all the way and super accurate. If the Traditions is 6.8 lbs, the Knight is 8lbs all day. Heavier thicker barrel adds weight and it has 209 ignition, direct or with a plastic weather proof jacket used around it. I use the direct and when you cap it the plug swages down the 209 primer for a positive seal. It is great with 209 up to 150grs and is great with .503 fullbores.
The Rem700ML or the newer REM 700UML are both good stainless guns easily converted to smokeless muzzleloaders.I won't convert my 700UML,it already holds 200grs powder.

Opinions are all different but from your selection i recommend a TRADITIONS VORTEK ULTRALIGHT MAGNUM or a TRADITIONS VORTEK STRIKERFIRE MAGNUM. One has hammer,one not. Go to Traditions website,find the one you like,make sure it has the 4140 chrome moly barrel,then I'd go to Buds Gun shop online and order it there, it'll be way less expensive. I can vouch for the barrel because I tested a Tradition Vortek with a real hot and heavy load,past anything near safe. It was discharged while in a sled, and it flew back several feet & penetrated wayyy more than usual, but did not fail,come open,bind the breech plug or nipple,or exhibit any damage more than a poofed out 209 primer. That Traditions Vortek chromoly is STRONG. With your choice load,you can have a 250 yard deer,elk,moose load or even great bears as long as there's backup. I'm hunting in the South now so am sighted in to 100 and 200 yards now and use .50/.458 caliber,MMP sabot with 300gr Ballistic silvertip 45-70 component bullets.Ger about 2000+ fps.according to the powder bottles.Traditions will send you a catalogue if you call, and their customer svc was good to me, sent me free fiber optic pipe replacement.Traditions Vortek.

Last edited by Blackpowder8bore; 11/29/18.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Please post a link where it states Traditions now uses 4140 steel although thats nothing new. All ive seen is a generic chromoly reference on the Traditions website.

Knights have been made from Green Mountain 4140 and 416 for a really long time. I have no idea where you are getting the 1137 from. Ive called GM about this and was told its 4140. The old Knight manual that covers the Revolution only states rifle grade steel.

Currently the only 2 non stainless offerings even state its 4140
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product-category/muzzleloaders/tk2000-shotgun-muzzleloader/
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/vision-max-1-break-action-muzzleloader/
4140 Alloy Hand Crafted Barrel

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by HaYen

or Traditions
or T/C

Also

Thank you

HaYen

If you want too consider an import look at the CVAs with nitride over 416 stainless. They will run you slightly more than a comparable Traditions. The top of the line Accura MRs and PRs can be found in the $420-440 range at Buds. Very nice rifle for that kind of money including a adjustable trigger.

A Knight Ultra Lite in nitride over stainless will set you back over $900 but its a super nice rifle too. Muzzle-loaders.com has them for the cheapest ive seen. MSRP is over $1100

T/C offers nothing in stainless but they do offer the Strike in nitride for as low as $500ish.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had a Knight Ultra Lite since they came out and it's a fine shooter and very well made. It is kind of a pain to clean, however, due to the long action you have to go through to get the plug out. It and the Mountaineer share action parts. Just gave it to my son after he whacked four deer in about two weeks with it. Seems to be his "lucky gun".

My new one is a TC Strike. Last year, my other son bought one and I sighted it in for him and was very impressed with it, so when I saw them on sale at CDNN, I jumped. I especially like the striker cocking and the outside-threaded breech collar. Only downside is that it needs a long eye-relief scope, extension rings, or a special Warne mount. I went with a scout scope on mine, which keeps access to the breech open. Not stainless, but nitrided inside and out.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'll second the idea of checking out a Knight UL.

I love mine. Used a TC Omega for several years and it was a good shooter, but not near the rifle that a Knight is IMO.

Easily the best shooting ML I've personally seen or shot.

Not sure what to think about hearing how they are harder to clean, because you remove the bolt and unscrew the BP...20 second process????

Good luck finding what you want, just would strongly recommend checking the Knight out as well.

2 shots to check my zero before season, very typical of this rifle: (right target, obviously)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Believe me, compared to the Strike with no inside theads, pop-out primer module, and a simple flash channel, the UL is a lot more trouble. Still, if you're willing to pay what they cost these days, the UL is a honey; a joy to carry with a sweet trigger. Never had to touch the scope after the first sight-in either. My son lives in VA, with a generous season and bag limit, while I just get a week here and have to pay $20 for a second tag. Made sense to bless him with it.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Pappy, I think the Knight Ultra is about 1200 bucks. If it shoots like that is is cheaper than my 2 muzzies I have. I have 450 in an Encore and 250 in an Impact. I have shot these two so many times and still can't find a decent load. I will be looking at the Knight Ultra soon and will trade in those two Thompson Encores for what I can get and be happy they are gone.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You can get the Knight UL for $900 with shipping Add another $40 in nitride when they are in stock.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/brands/knight-rifles/knight-ultra-lite-muzzleloader-rifles

Knight has the Extremes on sale atm too for $499 plus shipping. They will need an upgrade if you want bare primer. Not a fan of the plastic jackets.
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product-category/muzzleloaders/disc-extreme-muzzleloader/

Bare primer for another $100
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/209-bare-primer-conversion-kit/

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Overkill, I saw the plastic jackets and though they were weird, so I guess a bare primer is in order. I know very little about the Knights . I just want a real good quality muzzleloader. I hardly care about the price. People , for some reason spend thousands of dollars on the regular 9 day gun season in Wisconsin but forget all about the 10 muzzleloader season right after gun season. If I spend $1,000 on a sport I love, have 5,000 ac. of public land 4 mi. down the road all to myself again yesterday , I figure $1,000 is actually cheap . I just want a muzzleloader that doesn't throw bullets all over the place. I may even go smokeless.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ihookem
Pappy, I think the Knight Ultra is about 1200 bucks. If it shoots like that is is cheaper than my 2 muzzies I have. I have 450 in an Encore and 250 in an Impact. I have shot these two so many times and still can't find a decent load. I will be looking at the Knight Ultra soon and will trade in those two Thompson Encores for what I can get and be happy they are gone.

I paid $700 for mine from Sportsman's Guide. I also bought the percussion conversion, but never used it. Not my problem now! IIRC, my sons and I have taken 9 deer with it, including a very nice 172 pound (dressed) 12-point.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
260 members (1minute, 45_100, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 42 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.