Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'm thinking about one of these I saw in a pawn shop. Anybody have experience with one of these? This one is in good condition but it looks like someone has sanded the barrel channel at the front of the forearm. Are these good shooters? What would be a fair price for one? I have looked at gunbroker and other sites but can't find any rifles in this caliber currently for sale other than the African model. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one, once I had it bedded and some trigger work done, it was the rifle I used when shooting for money. I once clipped a fellow for 10 bucks a shot when he said Rugers don't shoot less than 3 inches at 100, piled a whole box of 156 gr Norma Factory loads into 3/4 of an inch. Yea buy it, if they don't want a lot for it, by a lot if you can get it out the door for around 350 or so.With out the rings a little less. How long have they had it? If its been on the rack for a while make an offer, you might get a good deal. They have a good reputation for being very good accurate guns. Good barrels!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've got one but haven't shot it a whole lot. One decent whitetail buck to it's credit is all it has. I used the 140 TSX. It worked fine but would prefer more speed with that bullet. When I am out of these TSXs I will go to a more mainstream bullet in that gun. Partition, hot-cor or something similar. It is a perfectly adequate rifle accuracy wise for most deer hunting.

$350-$400 seems about right. If the barrel channel sanding is obvious, I may bring that up to the pawn shop and offer $300.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There are only 2 Rugers here out of about a dozen (I'm guessing) that are not tang safeties. One is a Hawkeye and the other is my son's 270, a MKII. Never has had anything done to it. Because my boy has little extra time and usually only makes 1 hunt a year with me, I keep it and shoot it for him. I've always been satisfied with the accuracy of it, somewhere around 1 1/4" at 100 yds. and I'm not a great benchrest shooter and shoot from a somewhat primitive, unconfortable bench. I had picked up a box of Barnes ammo for our 270's with the 130 gr. TTSX bullets. When I shot those in his rifle, the group was under 1", near .75". I suspect that with a little trigger work and someone who can really shoot it would be a fairly accurate rifle. Being it is the only MKII we have ever owned, I can't say how the shoot as a whole but I'm tickled with the one we have.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one in original condition. It is a great shooter and a configuration that I looked for quite a while. I bought mine before the resurgence of new factory Swedes... at that time modern 6.5x55s brought a PREMIUM! Most of them (CZ, Ruger, Tikka [after they imported the first time, but prior to the second time], Remington Classic, etc.) were bringing $700+++ on GunBroker. The one I bought slipped up on a Buy it Now at $539 and I about broke the computer hitting the "Buy" button. The market is quite a bit softer now that Tikka, Barrett, and others are now(again) offering this classic caliber. I would say buy with confidence if the price suits you. There are not a lot of the Rugers floating around...

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ckat
I have one in original condition. It is a great shooter and a configuration that I looked for quite a while. I bought mine before the resurgence of new factory Swedes... at that time modern 6.5x55s brought a PREMIUM! Most of them (CZ, Ruger, Tikka [after they imported the first time, but prior to the second time], Remington Classic, etc.) were bringing $700+++ on GunBroker. The one I bought slipped up on a Buy it Now at $539 and I about broke the computer hitting the "Buy" button. The market is quite a bit softer now that Tikka, Barrett, and others are now(again) offering this classic caliber. I would say buy with confidence if the price suits you. There are not a lot of the Rugers floating around...

Actually, it looks like the market on the Swedes is still pretty strong. The last two M77 Mark IIs that were on Gunbroker sold for $645 and $705. The cheapest modern 6.5x55 currently listed is at $510 with over 3 days remaining...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My wife has one. When loaded with 120g Speers her groups were well under an inch. This year we loaded 140 Nos PT for elk. She put 5 shots into .5". That gun is amazingly accurate with her shooting it.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the information. It would cost me 660.00 out the door and I don't want it that bad so I'm waiting and hoping the price will come down if it sits long enough.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If anyone has an old tang safety in the Swede and would rather have a nice 700 Classic in it, let me know and maybe we could work out a trade.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have had one since 1999. It shot good with 140gr Sierra and speer bullets. I had it rebarreled to a 24 inch a couple of years ago and it shoots great with anything. How much are they asking for it?

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I see the 660 now. I wouldn't do that either. Is it wood or plastic stock?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
If anyone has an old tang safety in the Swede and would rather have a nice 700 Classic in it, let me know and maybe we could work out a trade.

I don't think that Ruger ever cataloged any tang safety 77s in 6.5x55.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

I don't think that Ruger ever cataloged any tang safety 77s in 6.5x55.

Thanks...did not know that. If that's the case, I will keep the Classic...lol. Unless, of course, there is an old 77 pops up that I don't have that I would like to get.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
It's a wood stock

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 34 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.