Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by EdM
Appreciate the comments gents. Stuff like this happens so no worries. I am thinking of heading back to NE BC for goat, elk and moose. We'll see.

Ed, Would seriously consider the BC goat hunt. I just ticked that one off my now short bucket list this past September. I had the good fortune to hunt with a great guide and outfit. Moose and mountain caribou are available in that area as well.

Apples and oranges re Africa, but an incomparable North American mountain hunt.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got to go on a tiger hunt in Vietnam in 1968, used a M-14 and a TD-24(bull dozer) for transportation, closest thing I could find to an elephant and howda, never saw the tiger they said jumped the concertina wire. I did have a mine blow up on the blade and another go off under the dozer while trying to root the tiger out of some heavy cover, I think those made my butt pucker more than the tiger would have.

US Navy Seabee, Chulai 1968-1969

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Originally Posted by EdM
Appreciate the comments gents. Stuff like this happens so no worries. I am thinking of heading back to NE BC for goat, elk and moose. We'll see.

Ed, Would seriously consider the BC goat hunt. I just ticked that one off my now short bucket list this past September. I had the good fortune to hunt with a great guide and outfit. Moose and mountain caribou are available in that area as well.

Apples and oranges re Africa, but an incomparable North American mountain hunt.

Yep. I hunted with Stone Mountain Safaris outside Toad River in 2008 for elk, moose and mountain caribou. It was a great trip.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Tahr in New Zealand

+1 for a tahr hunt. That's a heck of an adventure, particularly if you don't use a helicopter. Plus, you're not likely to run into security issues in New Zealand or have a hunt there cancelled due to a war or terrorist attack.
https://biggamehuntingadventures.com/tahr-hunting-new-zealand/

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by erich
I got to go on a tiger hunt in Vietnam in 1968, used a M-14 and a TD-24(bull dozer) for transportation, closest thing I could find to an elephant and howda, never saw the tiger they said jumped the concertina wire. I did have a mine blow up on the blade and another go off under the dozer while trying to root the tiger out of some heavy cover, I think those made my butt pucker more than the tiger would have.

Was that an over the counter tag or did you have to apply? 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by erich

Did you have a lot of animals stepping on mines over there?

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by EdM

Sounds like you might have quite the adventure planned. And you don't have too far to drive. laugh

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ed,
Have been reading everyone’s suggestions of how you should spend your money.
Reminds me of having some stranger select a wife for you.

Best to you,
Rick

Last edited by RinB; 11/29/18.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Sounds like more & more of Africa is getting pretty dicey. They really don't know how to organize & fight yet but sounds like its coming. We're already doing some fighting in North Africa, pretty soon we'll have troops trying to sort it out down in the southern end! Ed, good luck what ever you do. Are there any places a man can legally hunt Polar Bear?

Dick

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I hunt Africa for a month every year and can tell you that the dangerousness is overblown by the media and others. Certainly, you need to take more precautions than a US hunt, but its very doable. In fact, most years I take my family and have no serious concerns. Having said that, who you hunt/safari with is critical in my opinion.
R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No I didn't get a tag, it was an all inclusive trip, meals, transportation, accommodations, entertainment, even all the firearms and ammunition was include. To say the least it was a memorable trip, something that will stay with me forever.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I just received this below via email from my outfitter...

Dear All,

I do not come with good news! Last week our camp Arly Safaris, the first hunting concession and camp ever to be set up in Burkina over 30 years ago, was attacked and burnt by Muslim Jihadists! Since then they have also attacked a number of other hunting camps and burnt and destroyed them as well. In our camp fortunately no one was injured or killed, I am not sure about the other camps!

This is a huge setback for everyone, starting from you the client, without your support none of this would be possible, me the agent, the concession owner, the people who worked in these camps and depended on this income for their very survival, the poor villagers who depended on their share of the game meat (a third of all the meat by law goes to the surrounding villages) and finally all the animals, which will no doubt be gone forever if this situation continues!

Let us hope for the best and hope that things will turn around sooner than later. The concession owner is determined to rebuild and start again and has asked me to assure you that your deposits will be honored and you will be welcomed as the first clients to hunt there when it all reopens.

I am truly sorry for this situation and will be doing everything I can to bring this matter in to the spot light of the International hunting community and anyone else who cares! Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated. I will be at SCI and DSC, if you are planning on attending either of these shows please stop by my booth numbers are below.

Wishing you and your families a Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year.

Thanking you,

Kind Regards,

Arjun Reddy

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn.....Glad you weren't there. Hope the locals can beat back the muslim horde.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Tahr in New Zealand

This

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I just received this below via email from my outfitter...

Dear All,

I do not come with good news! Last week our camp Arly Safaris, the first hunting concession and camp ever to be set up in Burkina over 30 years ago, was attacked and burnt by Muslim Jihadists! Since then they have also attacked a number of other hunting camps and burnt and destroyed them as well. In our camp fortunately no one was injured or killed, I am not sure about the other camps!

Herein the wisdom of Kipling:

When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poems_copybook.htm

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spent over a year in Ouagadougou back in 2008/9. It was safe back then and the MJs were kept away by their military and support from other nations. There has been a regime change since I was there and not for the better either. It is one, if not the poorest, county in Africa. Good, nice people just doing what they can to survive. It is a shame.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Crazy. I’m glad you weren’t there.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My comments about relative safety in South Africa have nothing to do with Burkina Faso and Northern Africa--that is a completely different ball game. Praying the best for all involved.
R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Got the word on the Arly hunting camp from a good friend who hunted from that camp this spring. Evidently he's feeling pretty lucky!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Apparently things are getting a bit sporty on the east side of Burkina Faso so I was advised that the 2019 season has been cancelled with my outfitter. A bummer, though understandable. Now what to do...

Never even heard of Burkina Faso, and now that I have I doubt I would want to. However, I have been rabbit hunting hundreds of times, so I would suggest a bunny safari...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 15 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,188
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.