Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
My new Chevy Duramax manual says that DEF additive freezes at 14 degrees F ,and it would need to be taken into a warm garage until it thaws.My garage is unattached and not heated. Will it thaw once the truck is warmed up from running.The DEF reservoir is under the passenger side frame?.Here at 7650 feet elevation, winter temps hit below that frequently.

What is the solution to this problem? Thanks

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/06/18.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's my understanding that it has a DEF tank heater and the tank is insulated. I read somewhere that it also has a pump to empty the lines when you shut it off. The DEF system will shut off when it freezes and then kicks back in when the heater thaws it out. They recommend that you not keep the DEF tank full. As it freezes, it expands like water and can damage the tank if it's too full.

Here's an excerpt from one article I saw:

HOW TO PREVENT DEF FREEZING?
DEF freezing was taken into account by the OEMs prior to creating the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) systems. Therefore, the SCR systems are designed to provide heating for the DEF tank and supply lines; however, if the vehicle is shut down and exposed to freezing temperatures, then it is likely that the DEF will freeze. Diesel owners do not need to worry about DEF interfering with their vehicle, however. If DEF freezes when the vehicle is shutdown, startup and normal operation of the vehicle will not be inhibited. In most cases, the SCR heating system will quickly thaw the DEF in order to return it to liquid form and resume normal operation.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks.
I figured there was something,but the manual doesn't cover anything.
My tank holds 7 gals and they put two in when doing the initial new vehicle check.I'll probably add enough to make it 5 gallons

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It has to have a heater Vince, for exactly the reason you have. You should get a message if the heater goes out.

What year duramax? And what happened to your dodge?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe the system is similar to my ram. There is an electric heater and while the DEF fluid can freeze below 12 deg, once the ignition is on it sends juice to the heater that then thaws the fluid in the tank. It has been reccomended not to keep the tank tip top full in extreme cold weather.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
It has to have a heater Vince, for exactly the reason you have. You should get a message if the heater goes out.

What year duramax? And what happened to your dodge?

2019 Duramax. Dodge had a lot of repairs this summer. Got tired of stuffing money in it. I'll probably sell it after the 1st of the year

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a duramax, 2011, and try to start the winter with about 4 or 5 gallons. I have not had an issue with def freezing. I have had this truck since Oct. 2010. Like has been said the tank has a heater and def will expand when frozen. I am not at your elevation but it does get cool here in Mn.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by TJAY
I have a duramax, 2011, and try to start the winter with about 4 or 5 gallons. I have not had an issue with def freezing. I have had this truck since Oct. 2010. Like has been said the tank has a heater and def will expand when frozen. I am not at your elevation but it does get cool here in Mn.

This is a new truck and the DEF tank is full. I doubt I can use a gallon or so before really cold weather hits.Wonder if there is a way to siphon some out?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm sure it has a heater in the tank. I'm not sure about a Duramax, but heavy trucks have a heater in the tank, and when you turn it off, the lines drain out and return the DEF to the tank.

If you're storing DEF in a can or bottle in your garage, I'd bring it in the house so it doesn't freeze solid.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I'm sure it has a heater in the tank. I'm not sure about a Duramax, but heavy trucks have a heater in the tank, and when you turn it off, the lines drain out and return the DEF to the tank.

If you're storing DEF in a can or bottle in your garage, I'd bring it in the house so it doesn't freeze solid.

I'll add to that and say the DEF has a shelf life that varies according to the temperature that it is stored at. The higher the temperature, the shorter it's life. It can be checked with a refractometer designed for DEF. Old DEF will cause malfunction warnings as there is a DEF quality sensor in the system. So don't be tempted to stock up on it.

Last edited by badger; 11/07/18.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Manual says a tank of DEF should last about 7500miles,about what an oil change is.I put about that many miles on in a year. Should be good for that,Yes?

Not storing any.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably better to add 2 gallons at a time then. We've had DEF in the shop start to go off after 6 months when stored in the summertime with temps of 80-95 degrees.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Manual says a tank of DEF should last about 7500miles,about what an oil change is.I put about that many miles on in a year. Should be good for that,Yes?

Not storing any.

The DEF is used by the amount of exhaust going through your motor. If you are pulling something your DEF gets used up quicker than if you are running empty. With my 1 ton RAM it seems the DEF dial doesn't move, but when I haul my trailer it almost seems like you can watch it go down.

Also I have never got more than 3000 miles with DEF when empty.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 11/07/18.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If the dealer filled the def tank I would bet they didn't any more than 5 gallons in it. I have gone almost a year one one def fill up with no def quality issues.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by TJAY
If the dealer filled the def tank I would bet they didn't any more than 5 gallons in it. I have gone almost a year one one def fill up with no def quality issues.

Yea,they only put 2 gallons in it,but the manual said to fill it which I did BEFORE I knew it would freeze.Now I have 7gallons in it with temps suppose to drop this week. Probably have to put a heater under it somehow.Taking it too the dealer tomorrow for post sales work. I'll see what they say

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trust me that def will not freeze unless you let it sit for days and not drive it, a bunch of Chevy,gmc,dodge, fords up here in Alaska running def to include me when I owned a diesel never had it freeze.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 79S
Trust me that def will not freeze unless you let it sit for days and not drive it, a bunch of Chevy,gmc,dodge, fords up here in Alaska running def to include me when I owned a diesel never had it freeze.

It froze unless parked in a heated garage.

It will run fine while the heater thaws the def, then start injecting it.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by badger
Probably better to add 2 gallons at a time then. We've had DEF in the shop start to go off after 6 months when stored in the summertime with temps of 80-95 degrees.

We're those open jugs?

ANY idea of shelf life for a sealed, new jug?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Here's what I found.

[Linked Image]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Just had a problem with 10 of our Cummins the other day. Had a code come up and it said low quality DEF . Come to find out with the the new refractometer our DEF had to much urea in it. We get it in Bulk waiting to here back from supplier. We drained 2 of them out and put the Blue DEF and engine lights went out and back on road. Tested new batch and was just under 32.5 so we topped off rest so far so good.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 79S

It froze unless parked in a heated garage.

It will run fine while the heater thaws the def, then start injecting it.

I guess living in the valley does have its advantages.. my def never froze...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Never colder than +12? Really is the banana belt.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do a full delete, then you never have to screw with that idiotic EPA DEF fluid gain.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Do a full delete, then you never have to screw with that idiotic EPA DEF fluid gain.

That would void the warranty on a new truck

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by High_Noon

That would void the warranty on a new truck

Absolutely...

Public landowner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
and kiss your chances of ever having a shop work on it if you need it. If you can do all your own wrenching, not a big deal.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 44automag, 348srfun, 32 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.