GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by smokepole
I haven't read the article yet, it's on my list though. I wonder if the bullets available back then had any influence on the results, compared to what we have today.

My favorite Elk bullet, the Partition, was available.

In Finn's test:

338-06 - 210 NP went 16.8" Penetration.
338-06 - 250 NP went 19.5" Penetration.

30-06 - 200 NP went 21" Penetration.

Thanks. Did he measure the expanded diameter, or diameter of the hole the bullets made?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Never mind, I answered my own question. The one bullet he tested in the 30-06 that expanded to the diameter typically seen with the .338 (.67") penetrated 13 inches.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JB and PRM, I agree. And yes, Finn demonstrated the penetration of a high SD 200 PT from an '06 is formidable. He also said in a write up on a ULA 7mmBR, that most shooters have far too much gun. Now on deer sized game, no doubt that is true. When after dangerous game or game like Elk that can travel into hard to reach places if not put down fast, it's a good practice to know what you carry will handle the chore.

A 338 bore will have a greater frontal area, just as a .35 and 9.3, and so on. Permanent wound channel should be affected by caliber, all else equal.

That said, I never liked the '06, but recognize what they can do. My 338-06 had less FELT recoil than a former 06. Recoil pad and weight did matter.

These days, if I wanted a mid-bore, a 9.3 would be my choice. It would be for anything under 300 yds. The 338-06 will surprise folks in it's trajectory when you zing a 200 NBT/NAB at 2900. Even the 225s do well. I would say they are a solid 400 yd choice.

If one wanted a truly LR rifle, a hot 30 or 7mm will get it done, if you can handle the recoil and place shots.

In the world of race cars, many often say there is no substitute for C.I. In hunting, as JB says, placement is key. Penetration to vitals is required but with today's bullets, many options will do the deed. Regardless of round used, any fairly hit animal, where you accomplish placement and penetration, will typically be on borrowed time.

Last edited by 65BR; 11/05/18.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
65BR,

You might be surprised at the longer-range potential of the 9.3x62. The Varget load I use with 250 AccuBonds gets just about exactly the same muzzle velocity from my 23.6-inch barreled CZ as I get from 250 Partitions from my 22-inch barreled .338 Winchester Magnum, a little over 2650 fps. I haven't shot anything much beyond 300 with the load, but that was easy, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it at 400-450.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have seen 700-pound animals dropped on impact with 100-grain .25-caliber bullets, and go 200 yards with 300-grain .375 bullets put in just about exactly the same place--with both bullets recovered under the hide on the far side. As a result, am not convinced of the magic in any cartridge/bullet.

except the 9.3x62? grin

0.366-0.338= 0.028
0.338- 0.308= 0.030

And the 338 is not a big enough difference, yet the 9.3 is?

Got it. cool

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
CRS,

Amazing.

I actually measured a bunch of recovered bullets, instead of guessing from unexpanded bullet diameters. In fact, I had to eliminate some of the recovered .30 caliber bullets from the comparison, because they were wide-expanding bonded bullets that didn't appear in the .338 samples, such as the Hornady Interbond and Norma Oryx.. Otherwise the .30 caliber expansion average was LARGER than the .338's.

Have found the 9.3x62 performs more like a .375 H&H than a .338 Winchester Magnum when loaded to modern pressures of around 60,000 PSI. This shouldn't be surprising since the 9.3x62 uses bullets with diameters and weights more like the .375 than the .338.

Oh, and I have also used the .375 H&H a lot, along with observing several hunting partners using it a lot--as with the .338 and 9.3x62 on game up to well over 1000 pounds. Would love to hear your experience with all three rounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some here might recall the old "Knock Out" value #'s...was it Taylor? smile

JB, 2650 is moving for 250 grains. A certain powder, or will several do that? Sold a 338 WM, it just punched me harder than I want, granted a lighter gun and hard rubber pad vs a Decelerator or similar. Thanks for the info.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What I've discovered in 30+ years of gun writing is many (if not most) readers want to read about stuff they use, and if the author writes about their favorite stuff then they feel justified--and a kinship with the writer. If the author praises their choice, then he's a blood-brother. Which is why gun writers who try a lot of stuff and report it all works on some level, for some purposes, are often considered blood-brothers.

In the past couple years I've done articles on rifles and cartridges from the .33 WCF to 6.5 PRC, after considerable dinking with rifles made more than a century ago and modern "customs" made a couple months ago. Have also shot a bunch of big game animals over 52 years, and been standing beside hunting companions as they shot at least as many. Have performed and observed a bunch of big game autopsies, and tested a lot of bullets in various media.

I'm still a rifle loony, but have yet to see major differences in how widely similar cartridges kill stuff, given bullets that penetrate and expand sufficiently, within certain broad parameters. Am still learning stuff every month (or week), but would be very surprised if somebody develops a bullet or cartridge that kills big game noticeably "better" (whatever that means) than similar rounds/bullets. Have seen 700-pound animals dropped on impact with 100-grain .25-caliber bullets, and go 200 yards with 300-grain .375 bullets put in just about exactly the same place--with both bullets recovered under the hide on the far side. As a result, am not convinced of the magic in any cartridge/bullet.

But we all love to bat such stuff around endlessly. In the past week have seen posts asking about whether the Nosler AccuBond is adequate for "big deer", or the performance difference between the Barnes TSX and Tipped TSX, despite all those bullets being around for more than a decade.

Yeah, there are differences in cartridges and bullets, but the biggie is shot placement by a considerable margin, not 1/2" smaller groups, 20% more bullet weight retention, a few 100ths of an inch in bullet diameter, or even twice as much initial bullet weight. If the bullet expands and penetrates sufficiently through the vitals, the animal will die quickly. If the bullet doesn't penetrate the vitals, the initial diameter or weight doesn't make much difference, despite the belief in magnum magic. Have seen this over and over again, as have others including Finn Aaagard, who I knew pretty well.

That doesn't mean I've quit "experimenting." But it does mean I no longer believe in magic..

I've been thinking this for years, but never put into words as well as you have. I've come to the conclusion that if a round is adequate for the game a person is hunting, all that really matters is that the person shoots it well and practices enough to place the shot where it counts.

Last edited by reivertom; 11/05/18.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No where near the experience you have.

Here is what I have done/seen.

Elk with 243-375.
Africa a couple times, Impala to Buffalo. 300 H&H with 180gr TTSX, 330 Dakota with 225gr TSX, 375 H&H with 300gr TSX, 404 Jeffery with 400gr TSX.
More deer/antelope than I can remember, or even begin to count taken with 222- 50cal muzzleloader, not to mention longbows and recurves.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
65BR,

Several powders will easily get 2600+ from 250's in the 9.3x62. I started with RL-15 many years ago, but during the Obama shortages switched to Varget, and have tried others (such as TAC) in the same general burn-rate range, which also worked. Have had some of the loads pressure-tested, and they're in the same range as SAAMI .30-06 ammo, about 60,000 PSI.

Taylor's Knock-Out formula is interesting. I discuss it considerably in the long chapter on killing power in GUN GACK II, because he wrote about his theory in two books, published the same year, 1948. One was his lesser-known BIG GAME AND BIG GAME RIFLES, and the other his widely known AFRICAN RIFLES AND CARTRIDGES. They were published in the same year by different companies due to a fluke in timing, one in Great Britain and one in the U.S. In BIG GAME he mentions the KO formula only applies to "bluff-nosed solids" on really big game, primarily elephants, and its supposed to reflect how long a bullet will render an elephant unconscious with a head-shot, even if it missed the brain.

But in AFRICAN RIFLES he fails to mention this basic point about the formula only applying to solids, and as a result many hunters have applied it to expanding bullets on all big game.Taylor was not an admirer of high velocity, mostly due to the mediocre expanding bullets of his day, but does grudgingly acknowledge that kinetic energy seems to apply more accurately than the KO formula with expanding bullets on "soft skinned" game.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mule Deer, I know nothing about the 9.3 x 62, but I assumer It won't fit in a standard long action?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Schizn excellent reading .....great thread.

I would suggest that the difference between the front of the lungfield and the back of the lungfield is the innervation, and heart and great vessels.

The Vagus nerve and brachial plexus are positioned in the foreword lung area.

I think the 3006 versus 338 O6 same mass bullet comparison may be flawed considering the behavior of the powder column as the " neck" is expanded and bearing surface increases in the barrel. It seems the less difference between the cartridge diameter and the bullet the more powder can be used.

The 30 06 bullet same mass would also be longer and could also hamper powder capacity in the case.

I also am thankful I read this post for economics. I already own a Hitler era post office sniper rifle Mauser in 8 x57.

It groups excellent, has a timney trigger, Bell and Carlson stock, bolt locking safety, is paid for and handles " hot loads".

It Is the first rifle I ever owned.

My uncle, which I never met gave it to my Dad . They were both veterans of WW 2. He brought it back from Germany.

No need to rebore a 3006 4 me IMO.

Excellent thread ..very fun to read!

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/06/18.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Mule Deer, I know nothing about the 9.3 x 62, but I assumer It won't fit in a standard long action?

The beauty of the 9.3x62 is it DOES fit in a standard bolt face/long action.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hmmmm......

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you want to shoot a 250gr bullet, a 9.3 is a great choice. Unfortunately my 9.3x64 does not like 250gr projectiles and I settled on the 286gr, (gasp... NPT) and it loves the factory loaded 293gr RWS bullets, but they are soft.

It does not offer much velocity over the 62, but it certainly classifies for looney status. Plus I really like the rifle.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm not too wild about recoil, but I've successfully cleanly killed moose and bears with my 338-06 and even enjoyed shooting it at the gun range.

It was easy to load and quite accurate which is a necessity for me and most hunters.

Steve

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE

I'm not too wild about recoil, but I've successfully cleanly killed moose and bears with my 338-06 and even enjoyed shooting it at the gun range.

It was easy to load and quite accurate which is a necessity for me and most hunters.

Steve

Great to see you posting, Steve!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

jorgeI,

And it is great to hear from a great guy.

Many thanks for your kind words.

Best regards to every corner of your life.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks JB, good stuff, as always smile

Concur w/above, great thread.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (2500HD, 204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.