Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
My daughter will be turning 16 in about 6 months. Starting to look at various vehicles and she likes small SUV type because of the visibility. Seem to see quite a few of the Ford Escapes (new style) that are used for decent money. Anyone have any experience with them, pro or con?

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
No direct experience. A buddy had one several years back. Three of us loaded it up for a fishing trip starting in CO, and camped/ fished are way thru WY - MT - ID and back; 12 days in all. It was comfortable. He now has a Subaru outback and likes it more. I had a Subaru years ago and really liked it; don't overlook those.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the information.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Bought my wife an SE only had one problem lost the tranny at 11k Ford knew they had a problem with this 6 speed auto they treated me like a king with a free loaner a loaded Edge for a month,Ford Garenteed the tranny for as long as I own the car,got her back and have had 38k miles with no problems at all.great eco-boost with 4wd 30mpg hwy 25 city,comfortable.Goes very well on back tote roads and snow.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Is there any way to avoid circumvent that auto shutdown/start feature?
Does not strike me as backcountry friendly thing to have

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a button to turn it off after you crank the vehicle, you do have to turn it off every time no permanent off!

Wifey has a 2017 Titanium it's a very nice vehicle,

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I (still) drive a 2007 model at my employer. 2wd 80k ish miles. It has been very dependable and no real issues. For a teen it would be great - good visibility out all windows. I'm 6'2 and the back seat is a no go for me unless it's a really short ride. The front is decent with the power seat you can jack it around enough to get some leg room.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
They have a good, domestic rep.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have followed this as well, as I have a son that will be 16 next fall. The wife and I have promised him a vehicle as long his grades are kept up. I bought the oldest two cars, one was a POS that broke down, but he pissed us off thinking he was entitled. After spending more to keep it running than it cost to buy, I bought him a used Ford Focus from the neighbor's co-worker. That was a great little car, but he totaled it when he hit a patch of black ice. We got almost double from the insurance than what we paid for it, so I paid of my 09 Dodge Ram and gave it him, and I got a new Silverado. The youngest will be learning to drive in the spring, and has asked for a small SUV or truck. For the price, the Ford Escape looks like a deal. I have a former co-worker that had two of them and drove the wheels off them. My problem, is I wanted some other reviews than just his.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've rented a couple on long trips, they were comfortable for us, but neither of us are tall people (I'm 5'7", wife is 5'). Both of them were pretty nice vehicles, but it was all highway driving, so we didn't stress them any at all. Both times were in the middle of summer, and we went to Arizona, which wasn't a fair test for the A/C, which might have been outmatched a bit. Those cabins have a LOT of glass letting sunlight in the car. They get hot. That's any SUV, though.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by duckster
My daughter will be turning 16 in about 6 months. Starting to look at various vehicles and she likes small SUV type because of the visibility. Seem to see quite a few of the Ford Escapes (new style) that are used for decent money. Anyone have any experience with them, pro or con?

My mom has had one since they come out in 01 or 02. She had the first one 12 years and got another new one a few years ago. She's had 0 issues with either.

My dad had a 2010 that he put 250K miles on with no issues, (travels for work) and now has a 2015 with 180K. The 2015 has had a few issues with bearings and seals, and had to replace some injectors I think. He said he'll get rid of this one at 200k.

They both love them in the winter. Both rave about the traction.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by LouisB
Is there any way to avoid circumvent that auto shutdown/start feature?
Does not strike me as backcountry friendly thing to have

There is on my truck. There is a button on the dash that shuts it off. Also, when the defrost in on, it doesn't shut off at stop signs/lights.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
thanks for the updates. I have a couple of friends that are car dealers and they have said that it is quite easy to find them at auction, off lease type.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
We had one. No troubles, but they are a fleet, lease vehicle. With this said they lose value fast if bought new.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
We've had two, both driven by my wife. A 2002 purchased with 7,000 miles in 2004 (a Hertz car) and a 2012 purchased in 2015 with 25,000 miles on it. My wife likes the older style because it has much better rearward visibility. Both have been trouble free. She sold the 2002 with 155,000 miles on it and we still see it around town. Both have the V6 engine because we use it to tow our small boat. They both have decent towing capacity (as compared to the Acura RDX which is listed as having no towing capacity). It would be a very good first car.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In that size SUV, I'm a fan of the Acura MDX, Honda Pilot, and Toyota Highlander.

I have owned several Ford Explorers, Lincoln Aviators, and Mercury Mountaineers and like them enough to buy them repeatedly.

I also like the 2008 or newer Subaru Tribecas, but they are far less common than the Pilot or Highlander.

Full-time AWD is generally more practical for a less experienced driver.

Whatever you buy, a good set of tires and well maintained brakes should be factored into the purchase price.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by duckster

Our 2009 has way too much power for a 16 year old. However, If looking for a good escape, that's the generation I'd buy. They are fairly inexpensive and the 3.0 duratec is a hell of a good engine. We have 262,000 miles on ours and it does not use a drop of oil in 5000 miles. Still runs like a champ and gets 26 mpg... Serious note on the power though. I've lit all 4 up on the pavement, could get a youngster in trouble. Just sayin...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wife has a 16se

We have 70k miles on it. Zero issues as of yet.

All maintenance done at recommended intervals.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the info

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Ended up getting a good deal on a 2017 Jeep Renegade. Have only put about 1000 miles on it so far, but seems decent, especially as a daily driver for a high school kid, not many miles per day

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.