Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Does anyone own this rifle? Is the factory trigger suitable as is or does it need work?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have one and while the trigger could be better, mine seems to be OK. Put it this way, not perfect but easily gotten used to. Mine's a 30-06 and it shoots MOA or better.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I have one and while the trigger could be better, mine seems to be OK. Put it this way, not perfect but easily gotten used to. Mine's a 30-06 and it shoots MOA or better.
Paul B.

Thanks

I don[t know anyone that has one or experience with one. Of course on the interweb you read the horror stories about their triggers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Does anyone own this rifle? Is the factory trigger suitable as is or does it need work?

The triggers are fine, but certainly overly complicated.
IMO, the bad rep for these comes mostly from people who didn't understand how to adjust the trigger, or gunsmith types who didn't want to be bothered with dealing with it.

It's a truly adjustable trigger, unlike the type that replaced it, but requires removal of the buttstock and a bit of playing around to get it to where it should be (i.e. crisp letoff, no slack and reasonably light pull depending on your intended use of hunting versus target shooting).

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Oldelkhunter;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this historic Remembrance Day finds you well.

I've worked on two B78 rifles that I can recall, well I've got parts for most of a third one in the safe, but that's another story.

Anyway on the first one we started with a functional trigger and as gewehrfreund says they are adjustable if one takes their time and pays attention.

That one was a .25-06 with an octagonal barrel and after I bedded the fore end and tuned the trigger it was capable of amazing accuracy.

The second one was an octagon '06 which a buddy had traded into and someone had adjusted the trigger way out of spec - I want to say something wasn't functioning anymore - half cock or some safety function that escapes me now?

I did manage to get it running again, but it took a fair bit of time to extrapolate what had gone on to make it no longer work, that much I recall.

The resulting pull wasn't quite as good as a No 1 that I'd installed a Moyer's trigger on, but it was surely manageable when done.

I hope that was useful information for you or someone out there this morning. All the best to you this fall and good luck with the new rifle whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There is someone who specializes in those triggers not sure if it is Neil Jones or a single shot guy, maybe someone else knows? My smith won't touch them for the reasons Dwayne mentioned.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I've heard Lee Shaver does wonders with these triggers!

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
It's a gunbroker item, I think if I decide on it I am going to drive there and ask to see the trigger function before I buy it.

Thanks for the input from everyone, much appreciated

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I've owned one and worked on triggers on a half dozen or more. I installed Canjar triggers on two. This is the only Canjar trigger of which I'm aware, where Canjar actually recommended honing parts to get it to work well. The stock trigger is always going to be a little spongy. Guys who say their's are OK are just guys who don't mind a little sponginess. With the Cajar, properly set up, the trigger was superb (and had half the parts) but getting them set up could be an exercise in frustration. The problem was, you had to do all the adjusting with the buttstock removed. When you re-installed the stock, the through bolt screwed into the trigger housing and, when you tightened it up, the housing would distort and the trigger wouldn't hold. So you had to remove the stock and increase the sear engagement. Then you might have some creep. Then you might hone the sear a bit and try again; then repeat. The first one I did went pretty good and was a half hour job. The second one took me nearly three hours and I lost track of how many times I had it apart.Lost money on that one!
Bottom line? The stock trigger isn't perfect and it isn't equal to the No.1 but it is adequate. GD

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by greydog
I've owned one and worked on triggers on a half dozen or more. I installed Canjar triggers on two. This is the only Canjar trigger of which I'm aware, where Canjar actually recommended honing parts to get it to work well. The stock trigger is always going to be a little spongy. Guys who say their's are OK are just guys who don't mind a little sponginess. With the Cajar, properly set up, the trigger was superb (and had half the parts) but getting them set up could be an exercise in frustration. The problem was, you had to do all the adjusting with the buttstock removed. When you re-installed the stock, the through bolt screwed into the trigger housing and, when you tightened it up, the housing would distort and the trigger wouldn't hold. So you had to remove the stock and increase the sear engagement. Then you might have some creep. Then you might hone the sear a bit and try again; then repeat. The first one I did went pretty good and was a half hour job. The second one took me nearly three hours and I lost track of how many times I had it apart.Lost money on that one!
Bottom line? The stock trigger isn't perfect and it isn't equal to the No.1 but it is adequate. GD

GD sounds like a lot of work , I think I would rather have a more straight forward trigger. I might have to rethink this.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, it was one trigger I just learned to live with after going through the rigamarole of trying to adjust it. It ended up with a somewhat lighter pull weight but still with the "spongy creep". It (octagon barreled '06) still produced solid MOA accuracy for me regardless.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
NO worries, it was sold out from under me. Looking at a NO 1 7mm S and would really like a 45/70 S as well

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 11/15/18.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I love B-78’s.....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Oldelkhunter;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this historic Remembrance Day finds you well.

I've worked on two B78 rifles that I can recall, well I've got parts for most of a third one in the safe, but that's another story.

Anyway on the first one we started with a functional trigger and as gewehrfreund says they are adjustable if one takes their time and pays attention.

That one was a .25-06 with an octagonal barrel and after I bedded the fore end and tuned the trigger it was capable of amazing accuracy.

The second one was an octagon '06 which a buddy had traded into and someone had adjusted the trigger way out of spec - I want to say something wasn't functioning anymore - half cock or some safety function that escapes me now?

I did manage to get it running again, but it took a fair bit of time to extrapolate what had gone on to make it no longer work, that much I recall.

The resulting pull wasn't quite as good as a No 1 that I'd installed a Moyer's trigger on, but it was surely manageable when done.

I hope that was useful information for you or someone out there this morning. All the best to you this fall and good luck with the new rifle whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

My experience is pretty similar. I have fixed a couple of them that someone tried to adjust without knowing the procedure. It is possible to have them so out of whack that the hammer doesn't stay cocked when you work the action or the half cock safety disappears. The stock has to come off so you can see what is happening. When correctly adjusted, some are decent, some are a little spongy as others have noted.

The Canjar replacement is nice, especially with the set trigger shoe, but it is not a simple installation. Unfortunately, they have not been available for many years. I don't know of any other replacement. The 1885 was quite a bit different and has its own issues.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I looked at 4 of them today, I was not impressed with the trigger on any of them although they were better then I expected. I do not like the way they balance. THey were on the rack next to a pile of Number 1's. The two Number 1's that impressed was a 1A in 243 and a 1S in 375 mag. Two more opposites could not exist as far as recoil.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Do any of you gunsmiths with experience in the B78 guns still install the Canjar triggers? I have an octagon barreled B78 in 7 Mag and my dad had a Canjar trigger on it which he later had removed but I still have it and its parts in a bag. I would like to have it reinstalled on the gun by someone who knows their way around the B78 internals.

Robb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have on of these in .30-06 with a dandy piece of wood on it. I don't think the wood is factory. Got it in a long forgotten trade. Had it for 20 years and it's been in my dark safe. Guess I need to find someone who can use it. Don't have the mounts for it. What are these worth now days??? It's the one with the deer horns. That's the last time it saw daylight.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The trigger on my 30-06 is very acceptable. It's right at four pounds, crisp and repeatable. It's perfect for a hunting rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of the B-78's from the 1970's - octagon barrel in .25-06. When I got it the half cock notch did not work, so I laboriously took it apart, fiddled and fought with it and eventually got it back together with the half cock notch working, and it has a decent trigger.

That was 30 years ago and I don't recall exactly what I did, but it may have involved shortening the coil mainsprings, which makes it a lot easier to stab the spring struts back in their holes. Or I may be thinking of a Miroku Low Wall I owned later on. blush

Mine is phenomenally accurate. Once I fixed a loose front scope base, it proved to be superbly accurate; no problem at all to put 3 in a 1/2" or less at 100 yards. Another member has a rifle identical to mine, and he's won money with it smile

So despite the lawyer-proof triggers, they are really good rifles, and worth some trouble. I think Lee Shaver used to sell trigger fixtures and instructions for the Miroku single shots; if he still does, that would be a good investment.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I have one of the B-78's from the 1970's - octagon barrel in .25-06. When I got it the half cock notch did not work, so I laboriously took it apart, fiddled and fought with it and eventually got it back together with the half cock notch working, and it has a decent trigger.

That was 30 years ago and I don't recall exactly what I did, but it may have involved shortening the coil mainsprings, which makes it a lot easier to stab the spring struts back in their holes. Or I may be thinking of a Miroku Low Wall I owned later on. blush

Mine is phenomenally accurate. Once I fixed a loose front scope base, it proved to be superbly accurate; no problem at all to put 3 in a 1/2" or less at 100 yards. Another member has a rifle identical to mine, and he's won money with it smile

So despite the lawyer-proof triggers, they are really good rifles, and worth some trouble. I think Lee Shaver used to sell trigger fixtures and instructions for the Miroku single shots; if he still does, that would be a good investment.

Seeing this comment about the mainsprings reminded me of the time I spent three evenings trying to get those bast*rds back into position after the first time I detail stripped the thing for cleaning. Thank god I wrote down the solution to the puzzle after I finally got it back together. What a maroon!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,127
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.