Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tactical Milling or TMR

Your pros and cons of using each while big game hunting.

I am looking at the Leupold VXRs.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Con; Leupold, Pro; none

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Obtuse you are?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I prefer turning turrets on a good MOA scope. The increments are smaller and more precise than either MIL or TMR

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am not asking for opinions on Leupold scopes or turrets.

TM or TMR.....?

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have not used the TMR, but have used a similar reticle in NF. Darrel Holland offers a very similar reticle in both Schmidt Bender and Leupold. I have also used that reticle. What I like about these types of reticles is they don't clutter the image but still offer enough information to quickly make an adjustment and get an accurate shot off. If I see a con in this type of reticle its that in very low light the hash marks can make the center area of the reticle appear less clear, to my eyes, but if its that dark out I'm not going to be taking a shot that needs additional elevation and the heavier bars on the ends of the reticle have worked fine for me to place an accurate enough shot. I will add that I like the Holland ART reticle because it has numbered hash marks and that makes it quicker for me to make my correction.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks cobrad.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My hunting barely warrants more than a standard duplex, but if I could, allow me to share a lesson I've learned. I recently took a course where we shot out to 1200 yards and the reticle on my precision rifle (Mark 4 TS-29 MOA) did not provide graduations fine enough for effective wind holds. For example, when 1/2 or even one minute were required, I was holding in space with no stadia reference near enough to use.

What I'm driving at here is that as elaborate as my reticle and scope may have been, it was no use if I couldn't hold a simple wind correction on the horizontal accurately. Sure I could dial, but then what was the point of the reticle in the first place?

I assume that you're considering these reticles in order to gain hold over capability. I would consider which ever of the two provided me the ability to make a finer hold.

Hope this helps you

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by SU35
I am not asking for opinions on Leupold scopes or turrets.

TM or TMR.....?

Kind of a hard question to understand, since "TMR" stands for Tactical Milling Reticle.

Are you trying to ask about mil dot vs TMR?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cobrad
I prefer turning turrets on a good MOA scope. The increments are smaller and more precise than either MIL or TMR

Yep... By a whole 0.051433875 MOA. But let’s not let reality get in the way.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Let me qualify my preference for MOA vs MIL. The vast majority of my hunting/shooting is varmints. My big game rifles are really marmot guns that go elk hunting every fall. My kill zone is the size of an orange. Shooting at 6 or 700 yards the .26 vs .36 makes for finer adjustments when dialing in 10 or 15 MOA. Small difference, but I'm shooting at small targets.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
cobrad...that`s true...when using the mil reticule this summer on rock chucks, I found I could get consistant hits to about 400 yrds. Anything over that and I an just not practiced enough to correctly call...I had to dial. Plus the little buggers run around a lot.
As a member here on the fire suggested I would. The target is small.
Without more practice, I don`t think I would use the reticule on BG. past 4.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Let me qualify my preference for MOA vs MIL. The vast majority of my hunting/shooting is varmints. My big game rifles are really marmot guns that go elk hunting every fall. My kill zone is the size of an orange. Shooting at 6 or 700 yards the .26 vs .36 makes for finer adjustments when dialing in 10 or 15 MOA. Small difference, but I'm shooting at small targets.

You are repeating what you’ve heard or read. Not what you’ve experienced or understand. I’m not trying to be a jerk, but you are repeating nonesense.

The maximum difference between .25moa adjustments and .1mil at 600 yards is .3 of an inch. That’s MAXIMUM possible difference. No one can even hold within 1/3rd of an inch let alone make use of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I know is that when the little lines on the crosshairs match the lines on the turny thing, it's easier... But I switched to the Kentucky Dial...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

You are repeating what you’ve heard or read. Not what you’ve experienced or understand. I’m not trying to be a jerk, but you are repeating nonesense.

The maximum difference between .25moa adjustments and .1mil at 600 yards is .3 of an inch. That’s MAXIMUM possible difference. No one can even hold within 1/3rd of an inch let alone make use of it.

Piss off.

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Piss off.

Sucks being wrong, don't it?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Piss off.

It is funnier than fhuqk,that THE Dumbest Of Fhuqks...so very reliably talk out their ass and are the first to poke their heads in the sand,with hurt feelers. Congratulations?!?

For more oblivious HILARITY,feel free to wax eloquent on this Mythical Rifle and cite some particulars in it's regard,if only because it will be funnier than fhuqk if you try that too! Boolits,twist rate,throat geometry,mounting system and optics. Hint. Laffin'!

Jeezus Gawd...you Drooling DUMB Fhuqks are a hoot!

Bless your heart.

Be sure to open your yap and try again.

Wow +P+!

Laffin'.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hmm I hate it when I stick my foot in my mouth. I've learned something here... just when I thought I knew it all. You guys are a tough bunch some times, but you can still piss off. My personal preference is MOA. It's what I've always used.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So..now you like it because you've always used it....not because its better. Got it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
643 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.