Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I have a 6.8spc upper with a Wilson barrel. It wears a Zeiss Victory 1.5-6 in an LT-104 Mount. I am shooting 95 grain TTSX over 30 grains of Benchmark out of this 16 inch barrel. The barrel and load are zeroed at 50 yards. The first round out of a cold barrel can hit a pecan on top of a fence post, it appears to be consistent day after day shooting 1 round into the same target over weeks and months in the same spot. After about the 3rd round it opens up to about 2 inches for 5 or more when shooting off the bags at 100 yards., but once zeroed i just check zero over the season on the same target. I shot at a buck at 163 yards today and put the cross wire on his shoulder about 4 inches below his spine resting the rifle on the magazine on the padded shooting rail. Buck ran, no blood, no deer. I went back to my truck and got a gallon bottle of water with a blue label in the center of the jug put it at the spot the deer was and climbed back into the stand and fired one round. The bullet I hit the bottle about 4-5 inches above my point of aim. Took the top of the jug off. The ballistic table says the bullet should be about 2 inches low at that point? The only difference is that on the stand I am shooting off the magazine and on the bench rest I am putting the KMR rail on the bag and putting my head down on the stock! I went ahead and made a negative 4 cm adjustment in the scope, but I have no idea what is going on except maybe the rest is different. Anyone got any ideas??

GB1

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
well, I guess I am the only one that has had a POI change with a different shooting position or rest! Let's see I was shooting left handed out of the stand while I normally shoot right handed off the bags, so left eye vs right eye for zeroing the scope, the scope's parallax is set to 109 yards, distance was a lasered 163.5 yards..

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Trying to solve problems on the net is guesswork at best.

Guess #1, rail hitting gas block under pressure.

Guess #2, your ballistic table wasn't confirmed and maybe off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you hit the deer too high for the lungs & too low for the spine. I know that's anatomically impossible, but I've seen a lot of deer hit in that area run & evade recovery. I guess it just doesn't do enough damage to the lungs.

Or maybe you hit a twig. The POI change is a possibility too.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR

This^^^^^^^^^^^

You didn't confirm POI by shooting at any ranges longer than 50; the shot on the jug was 5" high; you were planning for 2"+ of drop; some amount of down angle................it's conceivable you shot over it's back.

Just guessing of course.................

MM

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Best place to solve this puzzle is at the range.

Test you POI from a rest, then off the magazine. I'd do it at a variety of distances, and shoot some groups at 150 to 200 yards with this rig. Find out what you really have.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by TWR

This^^^^^^^^^^^

You didn't confirm POI by shooting at any ranges longer than 50; the shot on the jug was 5" high; you were planning for 2"+ of drop; some amount of down angle................it's conceivable you shot over it's back.

Just guessing of course.................

MM

Yup. Yet another example why some of us keep saying not to rely on a near zero, you gotta confirm it at distance. Most prefer to ignore that advice though, with results as shown in the OP.

If you want to use a near and far zero, then zero your rifle at the far zero, and figure out where your near zero is from there. Plenty of people do it the other way around, but that is the lazy way and has a lot of potential for error.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering

If you want to use a near and far zero, then zero your rifle at the far zero, and figure out where your near zero is from there. Plenty of people do it the other way around, but that is the lazy way and has a lot of potential for error.

Almost a dead solid certainty for a significant error using a near zero & shooting long w/o confirming & resetting zero at the longer range.

MM

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a KMR rail that was touching the gas block and I think he has one as well. Being the KMR doesn't have much room and flexes awful easy, that was my first guess.

But I've seen many times when someone was off maybe a 1/4" at 50 and nowhere near on at 200 with a 5.56.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I shoot 1 round at 50 almost every time I go to the property, however the rifle is zeroed at 100. Its consistent in how it behaves. The bullets hit in almost the same place at 50 and 100 within my margin of error. I am wondering how big a difference shooting off the magazine makes now. Perhaps it is just me, as I was shooting left handed resting the magazine on a padded rail.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am wondering how big a difference shooting off the magazine makes now. Perhaps it is just me, as I was shooting left handed resting the magazine on a padded rail.

The plot thickens, eh?...................... wink

And truthfully, I think you have too many variables (all negative) going on that it's not possible to say what happened with any kind of certainty.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Several years ago I watched a hunting partner shoot a buck at 200 yards. I was in a stand about 300 yards from him, and saw the impact of the bullet, as well as hearing it hit. The buck took off and ran into the woods. He thought he missed, and wasn't even going to look for sign of a hit. I kept insisting that I knew the deer was hit, even though we found no blood, and the deer had run a long ways across a field.

To make a long story short, we found the buck just inside the woods. He never left a drop of blood that we could find. Could your der have done the same? Maybe, maybe not, who knows. I have had misses that I could never explain, and even after shooting the rifle off the bench, couldn't find anything wrong with it. Strange things can sometimes happen.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I shoot 1 round at 50 almost every time I go to the property, however the rifle is zeroed at 100. Its consistent in how it behaves. The bullets hit in almost the same place at 50 and 100 within my margin of error. I am wondering how big a difference shooting off the magazine makes now. Perhaps it is just me, as I was shooting left handed resting the magazine on a padded rail.

If you can't tell the difference in POI between 50 and 100 yards, you sure can't count on a 50 yard zero being correct at longer distance. The error in your zero doesn't add up, it multiplies at distance.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
the ballistic chart says 0.1 inches I think difference at 100 and 50 with a 1.7 inch high scope mount, and this is within the margin of error that I see.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
2 things about that Jimmy:

- If this is on an AR, your scope height is a lot more than 1.7". More like 2.6-2.7" depending on your mount.
- If you're zeroed (truly zeroed) at 100, you should be ~1/2" - 3/4" low at 50 yd depending on the load.

If your ballistic table is predicting 0.1" difference, that's part of your problem because it's way off. Gotta make sure those inputs are right to get somewhat realistic numbers, but even then you can't trust them until you verify with actual shooting.

With that said, ~1.75" low at 163 yards should be about right, but if your "zero" isn't actually zeroed but off by 3/4" at 50 yards, that accounts for several inches difference right there. Combine that with differences in your shooting platform, and errors start to add up fast.

Last edited by Yondering; 11/12/18.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
As far as shooting off the magazine, we shot some drills mostly offhand except for the first shot allowed arms on a bench while kneeling at 200 yards, second shot was prone off the magazine at 100, sitting at 75, kneeling at 50 and standing at 25 with 223/5.56 and there was not enough difference across the board to miss the vitals of a deer much less the whole deer.

Something is wrong and as Yondering said, your scope is centered 2.7" above the bore with a LaRue SPR mount. I'd start by sighting in at 200 yards dead on then work your way in noting POI at each distance.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
sorry about the sight height, was not thinking when I wrote. The bullet is supposed to be about 2 inches low by 175 yards if zero is 100 either way. I need to shoot the gun at 200 yards off a bag from a bench rest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For deer, I'd just zero at 200. You should then be point-blank out to 250 or so.

Politics is War by Other Means
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm not sure why you tried to spine it. If you had aimed dead center of chest, that gives you about 8-10 inches of error to play with. In your case, being it was shooting high, you would have spined him. If it had been shooting low, you would take out his heart.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
It was user error plus maybe some parallax.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 56 invisible), 1,970 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,187
Posts18,465,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.