-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you can lift 50 lb by hand, a 4 roller B&T will let you lift 200.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The $25 item I linked from Amazon is rated for 600 lbs and has a 4:1 advantage, so a 200lb deer would require only 50 lbs of pull. Simple set up and useful for hanging deer for gutting and quartering after you get to camp or home. And the rope locks in place with a simple release lever

Last edited by jdollar; 11/10/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You're trading effort for distance. This is an oversimplification, but the more rollers you have, the more rope it takes to move them. A single pulley, like a snatch block for a winch, will use twice the rope of a straight pull but cut the load in half. A double pulley B&T, like the pic I posted, will require a lot more rope to move the block the same distance but with a corresponding reduction is effort. Each time you add a set of rollers, you add to the length of rope you pull through but reduce the effort even more.

Very good explanation. I use block and tackle on hanging deer for butchering, and a hand crank boat Winch through a ground anchored snatch block for skinning.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jdollar
The $25 item I linked from Amazon is rated for 600 lbs and has a 4:1 advantage, so a 200lb deer would require only 50 lbs of pull. Simple set up and useful for hanging deer for gutting and quartering after you get to camp or home. And the rope locks in place with a simple release lever

Now up to about $45.00.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kellory

Now up to about $45.00.
that's for 1500lb version. The 600lb version is about $23.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by kellory

Now up to about $45.00.
that's for 1500lb version. The 600lb version is about $23.

I stand corrected. I went to the linked item.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That boat winch reminds me of the 210 pounder that I winched up a 200 yard long steep hill with a rope filled boat winch tied to the trees. My arms were shot by the time I got that critter to the top of the hill. I bought one of those little Simpson two stroke capstan rope winches after that and that served me well because we can't use an ATV or couldn't cut them up back in those days. I still use that boat winch bolted to the studs for hanging them when I get them back to the garage and that works well for a short pull.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Windfall
That boat winch reminds me of the 210 pounder that I winched up a 200 yard long steep hill with a rope filled boat winch tied to the trees. My arms were shot by the time I got that critter to the top of the hill. I bought one of those little Simpson two stroke capstan rope winches after that and that served me well because we can't use an ATV or couldn't cut them up back in those days. I still use that boat winch bolted to the studs for hanging them when I get them back to the garage and that works well for a short pull.

I have a game scale for hanging game. It's maxed out at #300. We had one 8 pointer a couple years ago that read #280, and his head was still on the floor. (Not yet gutted). Block and tackle is a smart choice.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'd like to watch anyone here put a 210lb deer up in the back of my dumpbed on my Polaris by yourself. I took a extention rack for a atv and cut it off and mounted it down low in my hitch receiver then cut a folding tailgate in it. its about 10" off the ground and the best way I've ever seen to load a deer. my Polaris is a x2 so its 8ft long and weighs 1000lb .I can't even tell it with 200plus pounds hanging off the back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i'd like to watch anyone here put a 210lb deer up in the back of my dumpbed on my Polaris by yourself. I took a extention rack for a atv and cut it off and mounted it down low in my hitch receiver then cut a folding tailgate in it. its about 10" off the ground and the best way I've ever seen to load a deer. my Polaris is a x2 so its 8ft long and weighs 1000lb .I can't even tell it with 200plus pounds hanging off the back.

I could do it without too much trouble, but I'm not as old as some of the guys on here. I have to lift heavy stuff every day. But why work that hard if you don't have to?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It wouldn't need to be a big one either. I was trying to load about a 160# (gutted) 8 point onto dad's '69 Plymouth and the front end went up and then down when I lifted up the back end. Might have been pretty funny to watch, but I wasn't amused. A rope through the back windows to secure one end finally got it done.

Kellory, I thought that you Ohio guys gutted your deer before pulling them out of the woods. Innards weigh 21 to 23% of the deer's live weight and I'll be darned if I want to haul out 40# of guts when I'm only going to throw them away. The coyotes and crows need to eat too. The southern guys don't gut stuff right away which always seemed odd with the higher temperatures they get down there. I worked in a packing house for three summers and those cow insides came out real soon once the hide was off to help cool them faster. Then they got cut in half, washed, shrouded and into the cooler to hang for a week all in a few minutes.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Windfall
It wouldn't need to be a big one either. I was trying to load about a 160# (gutted) 8 point onto dad's '69 Plymouth and the front end went up and then down when I lifted up the back end. Might have been pretty funny to watch, but I wasn't amused. A rope through the back windows to secure one end finally got it done.

Kellory, I thought that you Ohio guys gutted your deer before pulling them out of the woods. Innards weigh 21 to 23% of the deer's live weight and I'll be darned if I want to haul out 40# of guts when I'm only going to throw them away. The coyotes and crows need to eat too. The southern guys don't gut stuff right away which always seemed odd with the higher temperatures they get down there. I worked in a packing house for three summers and those cow insides came out real soon once the hide was off to help cool them faster. Then they got cut in half, washed, shrouded and into the cooler to hang for a week all in a few minutes.

We do not gut in the field. It's not far back to the barn, and we keep the meat cleaner and the mess to a minimum, doing it in the barn. We have a wheel barrow under while gutting, then skin it out and wash it down. Then let it cool before cutting up.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

367 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 45 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,119
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.