Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Doc7 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Please help me learn how to attack this spot circled in red. Yellow are deer trails.

[Linked Image]

Photo of the red spot right in the center looks like this with several rub trees. This is the only spot on the aerial that is this clear with more than 15 ft visibility.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The orange "overgrown" spots look like 40 acres of this:

[Linked Image]

I can approach from the South-West or the North.

I can't figure out which wind direction I want for this. I have a lot of choice in the next 2 weeks with various fronts moving through.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I would try 2 different things in there. Both however are 100% dependent on the correct wind. If you can get in with a prevailing wind in your favor, I would still hunt that thick brushy schit.

If I couldn’t do that, I would try to intercept that buck on his way to the clearing, via a tree stand. If you get above that brush, you should be able to shoot into it.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I worried about the wind and time of day(legal of course) id never get out of the house. Just hunt!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Come in from the South,on a North wind,before sun-up...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by pahick
If I worried about the wind and time of day(legal of course) id never get out of the house. Just hunt!

Brilliant

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd also come in from the south with a north'ish wind or try the north with a south'ish wind. I'm assuming due north of the red circle is thick sheit?

Those deer could be laid up anywhere in that stuff. It's gonna take a little time to figure it out, but you can never go wrong with edges, dips and ditches.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd hunt it on a wrong wind, either west or east and try and stay just above where they are coming into the clearing so that they are not winding you but are getting false confidence that you're not there. It's tricky and risky but I find it to be successful. Be on the look out for a buck coming crosswind too

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
They are just using that as a safety travel corridor between two large blocks of woods.
I would only hunt the furthest north end and furthest southern end (wind depending) and not hunt the center.
See your two green squares with thick cover and mast trees?
That’s good place for food and likely come rut that’s where I’d be in a tree.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you used any game cameras? That'll help get an idea what time and direction they travel thru. But as thick as that is they could be anywhere anytime for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of guys say hunt the wind. What I find is that no matter how I try, I always find myself upwind of something. I guess that's how it works on a spheroid planet. YMMV.

Okay smarta$$ lines aside, I generally disregard wind. The reasons being that:

1) Winds change
2) No matter how hard I plan, I always find deer want to come from every direction.
3) Winds swirl a lot

. . . so what I do is do my best to keep my scent reduced as much as possible.

see Shamanic Baking Soda Method

The trick is reducing the scent just enough so that deer don't think there is a human close by. They may smell you, but they don't know you're THAT close.

Next, when I hunt a new spot, I worry about how to see the most and not be seen.

I get in early and I leave late.

I stay as still as possible. With turkey, I can have hens peck at my bootlaces. On the ground, I've had to shoo deer that were going to step on me.

Bottom line: I try to make myself as much as a part of the environment as I can and I wait.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ agreed, I have rarely seen a a good hunting day where the wind truly holds in any direction for an extended period of time but that is the SE coastal zone. I hunt where the deer are period. To the op, with that amount of browse in the form of those cut overs it will be tough unless you have a good mast crop to center in on food. Personally for me I would attempt to hunt the SE tip of the hardwoods or that bend in the road if Muzzle loader or rifle, probably same for bow. The trails will tell the tale.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is hard to figure out I have always tried to keep the wind in my face, however, the biggest buck I ever killed (200 non typical) came up downwind behind me. Surprise! I had sprayed down well with scent killer so I guess it must have worked or he thought the girls smelled better.

Phil

D
Doc7 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Tomorrow I will hunt the northern tip of my red circle, on a northeast wind. Any deer trying to get from the top-left to the top-right section (or opposite of that) will likely travel through that area, and depending on scent dispersion I might even catch a deer coming from south (the trampled spot in my original photo) to north.

Plus, after walking 2.1 miles the other day to "get away from other hunters" and finding out when I left that I was the only vehicle in 3 parking areas on a weekday, I am looking forward to this 0.5 mile hike with my tree stand on my back instead. I definitely need to get one of those frame packs.

Last edited by Doc7; 11/07/18.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would set up on the N end of the oval and stand hunt to see when the deer are going through the area. I would only still hunt it if I was not hunting the area for awhile or if hunting with a partner where one still hunts and the other waits to intercept any deer coming out. Stand hunting on the East side of the oval at the point of the thick cover could be good for a windy day or right after as it will knock down mast crops and the deer will not want to move in the open areas with windy conditions.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Like others have mentioned I’d throw a camera up and see when and if they are still hitting that area. It might be at 2AM and you’ll be wasting your time. I’d find where the does are feeding and monitor them as the bucks will be doing the same. Likely in that NE quadrant where the mast trees border your heavy cover. Leave the heavy cover alone as sanctuary so they stay on your parcel and quietly hunt the edge of cover and mast trees. The does will feed openly into the mast trees and the big boys will hold up in the transition edges. Put out some doe lure near a natural funnel or run with the wind advantage and see what happens.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
I'd hunt it on a wrong wind, either west or east
I also favor cross winds. On this set up, I would try to hunt this spot with an east/west wind from the south side. Hopefully having a view of anything coming out of the northern cover toward a deer trail.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.