Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in Dallas for the next few days and I found an awesome 2014 black /black 2500 Laramie 4x4, deleted and tuned with 69K, 20" Fuel wheels, Nitto tires, & a toolbox for $39K in Dallas. I went to see it yesterday, but unfortunately, it sold 2 days prior. They had many other trucks, but none quite like that one, which was about perfect.

I did test drive a different truck yesterday. It was a 2012 w/ 133K and it was fully deleted, but it did not have a tuner. It was a Lone Star edition, which apparently is just below the Laramie, but it did not have leather. The seat material was nice though. The power of this truck is very impressive and it was tight and rode and drove very well. I was really surprised with the power and the acceleration. This was the first time I had actually driven a late model RAM 2500 6.7. My brother drove it as well and he was also impressed, but he's also said that the RAM 2500 6.7 and similar trucks were "too much truck" for him. He's been talking about getting a new(ish) Honda Ridgeline or Honda CRV. After I told him how gay he was, I tried to convince him that a used late model RAM 6.7 was about the same price and that the RAMs are awesome trucks. I'm afraid he's now considering a GMC Canyon, even after driving the RAM today.

If I'm going to spend this much cash on a truck, I'm going to hold out until I find the right one for me, which is a 2012-2014 Laramie 6.7, that has a leveling kit (maybe 2" max) and is deleted & possibly has a tuner. Amp steps would be a plus as well as the off-road package (skid plates), the cold weather package and maybe a toolbox. I'd like to keep the after purchase additions to a minimum, if possible.

The salesman told me that they get trucks all the time - sometimes several a day - I gave him my info so he can contact me when they get another like the one that sold.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/11/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Anjin

Folks tell me that these trucks are easily good for well over 200,000 miles if you take care of them.

That taking care of them is what gets expensive.
Problem being,everything attached to that engine is 100,000 mile stop.BTDT. Then you have the Dodge front end known for the death wobble if youdon't get the tracking bar replaced.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/11/18.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by High_Noon
He's been talking about getting a new(ish) Honda Ridgeline or Honda CRV. After I told him how gay he was,.......................

laughing

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$40,000 for a 4 to 6 year old truck? no way, Jose!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anjin & saddlesore: The Cummins engine can easily go 500K+ if maintained properly. I've even read that a million miles is not unheard of. I know the older Dodge/Ram trucks wrapped around the Cummins are definitely "quality challenged," especially with the Death Wobble, but I believe most of those quality issues have been addressed. But you're correct, the maintenance is expensive, but it's definitely necessary.

fubarguy: I agree. The prices on trucks (particularly 3/4 ton diesels) has skyrocketed. Almost all of the trucks I have seen are at least 10K above Blue Book Value. The one I looked at that was 39K probably had some wiggle room - maybe 2-3K. If you think that's expensive (and it is) you should see the prices of late model Ford F250s with the 6.7 Powerstroke - I've seen many in the mid 50K range! & yes, that's for a used Ford Truck. The prices on these trucks is outrageous. A new, fully loaded RAM 2500 6.7 is 90K!

However, if you've never driven a late model deleted/tuned RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins, you owe it to yourself to do so. I can't even begin to tell you how impressive the acceleration, power and ride of these trucks are - they'll definitely blow the doors off most "performance sedans" on the road (which is not particularly important to me, I just relate that fact to illustrate the power of a fully deleted 6.7). After a few minutes behind the wheel of the fully deleted RAM 6.7 I test drove, I was sportin' wood.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Anjin

Folks tell me that these trucks are easily good for well over 200,000 miles if you take care of them.

That taking care of them is what gets expensive.
Problem being,everything attached to that engine is 100,000 mile stop.BTDT. Then you have the Dodge front end known for the death wobble if youdon't get the tracking bar replaced.

Actually, I drove 2 Dodge/Cummins to death - not the drive train, but the Dodge part basically disintegrated after ~ 250 K road and ranch miles.
Frame on one, cab mounts on the other - not the rubber, but the part of the cab that attaches cracked badly.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fubarguy
$40,000 for a 4 to 6 year old truck? no way, Jose!

In the spring of 17, I bought a new 3500 crew cab dually w/Cummins for 44k plus tax.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My 2004 Cummins has 175,000. I put a water pump on it. I had front end rebuilt at 150,000. It has been great. I’m buying a new Dodge soon, but keeping the old one to go to work in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
the hemi engines are definitely good for over 200 K plus

lots of reports around 20 mpg highway for the 1500 5.7 , of course mileage will suffer if you are running hard on the interstate

heard reports of fuel mileage in the upper 20s for the light duty Ram diesel , but some mechanical issues too

they will use quite a bit less fuel than a 3/4 ton cummins

Man we sure have different experience there.

I had an 2012 5.7 Hemi. It got around 11mpg in mixed driving. 14 on the highway with a tailwind was the best it ever did... once or twice.

Traded it in on a diesel Cummins and it consistently got over 20mpg in mixed driving.

This man speaks the truth my 3500 5.7 gets around 12 average unloaded, maybe 14 hwy. It's a great engine, but I'm about to trade for a diesel because I bought a 10k toy hauler that really works it hard in the rockies and gets 6MPG in the process. The 6.4 should be a bit better with MDS. Besides now that we sold the slide in camper I just don't enjoy the comfy ride of a 3500 with a 4,300 LB payload. I 've heard the 6.4 2500's with 3.73 gears are more in the 14/17 range. My wife has a 15 1500 5,7 with the 8speed, it's gets 16-17 mixed and 20 hwy. That's pretty good for 400 HP motor if you don't need the payload.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Finding a relatively low mileage 2012-2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins Laramie for much under 39K is exceedingly difficult. Most are in the mid to upper 40K range and many are in the low to mid-50K range. The prices on these trucks is outrageous. I will continue to look.

I did find a fully deleted 2012 SLT w/ 133K for $32.9K (which I mentioned above in a previous post) but it has some issues.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/13/18.

- Del Gue
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Finding a 2012-2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Laramie for much under 39K is exceedingly difficult. Most are in the mid to upper 40K range and many are in the low to mid-50K range. The prices on these trucks is outrageous. I will continue to look.

You'll have much the same luck as you have seen.

When looking at decent, low mileage diesels, there's not much savings over just buying a new one.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You'll have much the same luck as you have seen.

When looking at decent, low mileage diesels, there's not much savings over just buying a new one.

That's approaches the truth for a new base model, but not for a loaded Laramie. I've seen new Laramie models in the mid 80K range - I've even see a few above 90K.

I did find a few 2012-2014 Laramie trucks for under $40K, but the mileage is higher and they are not local - 1,000+ miles away and I want to avoid trucks from the N.E. or the Rust Belt. So far, good local trucks I've found don't meet all my requirements - except for the one I found w/ 69K miles that sold and one other that has a 6" lift and idiotic 22" chrome wheels and "low profile" A/T tires, which looked ridiculous.

- Del Gue
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Have them get you one man. win/win.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Any opinions on the 2015-2016 RAM 1500 w/ the 5.7 Hemi? I know I'd be sacrificing some mileage, but I'd be a bit under my budget. I don't know much about the Hemi engines and how long they last - I would think 150K would probably be lucky.

Dude, everything lasts 150k miles. I just traded my 14 Ram with the 5.7 hemi. It was absolutely flawless for 130k miles. The only thing that ever was fixed was whatever was recalled in the dash. I traded into an F-150. I can't wait to be back into a Ram.

Camp is where you make it.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I will be selling my 2002, one owner Ford F350 SRW, 7.3 liter diesel with 63,400 miles soon. Don't know your timetable. It has an 8 1/2 foot steel flatbed, 4x4, auto, 3.73 gears. Gets about 16 mpg empty. Better on long trips. Still have the original invoice. Would rather not part with it until my new truck comes in but might be talked into it.

PM me for pics and details if interested.

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 11/13/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Talked to my brother last night...

He said he just got a 2019 F-150 King Ranch with the 3.0 Powerstroke Diesel.

I didn't even ask him how much he paid... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
tzone: I have the guy that sold the one I wanted looking for one for me. I want a truck that will last considerably more than 150K, which is one of many reasons I want a Cummins.

AnsonRogers: I looked for a 7.3, but everyone I found was well over 100K and the ones in good condition are priced pretty high. Your F350 sounds great, but I don’t need a 1-ton. The 3.73 gearing would be nice though. I’ll think about it and let you know. Thanks.

rockinbbar: Not sure I’d want to know what your brother paid for that King Ranch either. I’m sure it was well north of 60K. Just be thankful your brother wasn’t interested in a Honda CRV or Ridgeline, like my brother.

- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
tzone: I have the guy that sold the one I wanted looking for one for me. I want a truck that will last considerably more than 150K, which is one of many reasons I want a Cummins.

AnsonRogers: I looked for a 7.3, but everyone I found was well over 100K and the ones in good condition are priced pretty high. Your F350 sounds great, but I don’t need a 1-ton. The 3.73 gearing would be nice though. I’ll think about it and let you know. Thanks.

rockinbbar: Not sure I’d want to know what your brother paid for that King Ranch either. I’m sure it was well north of 60K. Just be thankful your brother wasn’t interested in a Honda CRV or Ridgeline, like my brother.

LOL... My wife had a Ridgeline.

We traded it in on her 2015 Ram 2500 4x4. She liked the Ram twice as much. Ram got better mileage too.

We traded the Ram in on her 2018 F150 4x4. A 3/4 ton was just over kill for what she needed. Got $40k trade in for it. It was an SLT with 32k miles.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
rockinbbar: Yep. I tried to tell my brother that he'll get hell in the oilfields if he rolls up in a late model Ridgeline or CRV. As I mentioned above, it's an exceedingly gay vehicle for a dude. He's driving a ragged out 1999 Honda CRV w/ 240K miles at the moment. When we went to look at trucks last Saturday and he drove the '12 2500 6.7 Cummins he told me he liked it, but then he started talking about the GMC Canyon with the small Duramax, but after he thought about it, he was back to the Hondas.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/13/18.

- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
rockinbbar: Yep. I tried to tell my brother that he'll get hell in the oilfields if he rolls up in a late model Ridgeline or CRV. As I mentioned above, it's an exceedingly gay vehicle for a dude. He's driving a ragged out 1999 Honda CRV w/ 240K miles at the moment. When we went to look at trucks last Saturday and he drove the '12 2500 6.7 Cummins he told me he liked it, but then he started talking about the GMC Canyon with the small Duramax, but after he thought about it, he was back to the Hondas.

That's ok. I understand your shame.

I have another brother that drives a Chevy. laugh

When we have lunch I park around the corner so I don't have to be seen with him.. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.