Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've never weighed one either.....

I do know that when I drew a tag, the Alaska F&G sent me a letter stating that the Roosevelt bulls on Afognak and Raspberry Islands can weigh in excess of 1200-1300 pounds. I thought: "no way". I've killed lots of elk and even though Roosevelts are bigger, there's no way an elk can be that big.

Well when I got over to my bull, I scratched my head and said $hit.....I'll bet this thing weighs 1200-1300 pounds....
Each boned out quarter was substantially heavier than the bone in quarters of the Rocky Mountain raghorn I killed a couple weeks ago.

Further north one goes,the elk run bigger. Elk shot say in Alberta are bigger/heavier than the elk shot in Colorado,although they are both descended from Yellowstone elk.
Look at bears. The largest , Brown and Polar are far north.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I do know that when I drew a tag, the Alaska F&G sent me a letter stating that the Roosevelt bulls on Afognak and Raspberry Islands can weigh in excess of 1200-1300 pounds. I thought: "no way". I've killed lots of elk and even though Roosevelts are bigger, there's no way an elk can be that big.

Well when I got over to my bull, I scratched my head and said $hit.....I'll bet this thing weighs 1200-1300 pounds....
Each boned out quarter was substantially heavier than the bone in quarters of the Rocky Mountain raghorn I killed a couple weeks ago.

Where's the story on your Afognak elk hunt?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My experience is from 65 to 95 pounds.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Roosevelt elk on Afognak are from judman part of Washington. One day I might go there too hunt on Afognak, but I do not want to deal with Brn bears. Yeah I'm a big sissy lol..

Last edited by 79S; 11/14/18.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

I have not put one out there...too much to tell.

I'll PM you some pictures.

BTW, the bears are real on that island.....they're no joke.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Further north one goes,the elk run bigger. Elk shot say in Alberta are bigger/heavier than the elk shot in Colorado,although they are both descended from Yellowstone elk.

Bergman's rule. It sure is true in the elk situation.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Why are they packing out testicles? Proof of sex?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My guess is because they want to be like MeatEater.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gmiller
Why are they packing out testicles? Proof of sex?

Up here in Alaska antlers are not proof of sex, so nuts/penis need to be naturally attached. If not the troopers will
Have field day with you.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

I have not put one out there...too much to tell.

I'll PM you some pictures.

BTW, the bears are real on that island.....they're no joke.

Fella up here in Alaska Nick Muche is his name he’s all over interweb, he’s sponsored by companies shot everything there is too shoot up here in Alaska, except for an elk. He says he won’t waste his time on afognak elk because it’s a second rate elk hunt. Truth be told, I think he’s scared of them crazy ass Brn bears, and doesn’t want to fess up to it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sure didn't think it was a second rate hunt. We pulled two massive herd bulls out.

When we got back to Kodiak, I talked to some folks who had hunted Raspberry Island (which I assume is the hunt Nick Muche is waiting for), and they only got one small, busted up rag bull.

I don't know how much effort they put into it though.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I sure didn't think it was a second rate hunt. We pulled two massive herd bulls out.

When we got back to Kodiak, I talked to some folks who had hunted Raspberry Island (which I assume is the hunt Nick Muche is waiting for), and they only got one small, busted up rag bull.

Ya you guys did well!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
65-90lb with bone. Meat pack 50lb 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't think any of those island elk hunts are easy..

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The first elk I shot was a Roosevelt bull I shot in Northern California in 1995. I quartered it the classic way by sawing down the backbone and then cutting in half. The 4 quarters bone in weighed in at 535 pounds. A couple of years later a friend drew the same tag and shot a larger bull and it weighed more but I do not remember how much more. The second elk I got was a cow Rocky in Murders Creek unit in Oregon. I think the quarters weighed in at around 50 or 60 pounds. I got my 3rd elk a couple of weeks ago. A large Roosevelt cow in Northern California. This time I boned her out and left the backbone in the field. I did not weigh her but I would be willing to bet she weighed more than the average Rocky bull. I filled up a new 15 cu foot chest freezer I bought for the purpose.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The cow I took to a processor in Gunnison weighed an even 300# on the rail-field dressed, head, hide and legs off. She was a good sized dry cow.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cowdoc
The cow I took to a processor in Gunnison weighed an even 300# on the rail-field dressed, head, hide and legs off. She was a good sized dry cow.

With a pork carcass in that condition they say you loose about 60% of the weight....so if this ratio stays true with elk (300) / (.6) = 500 pounds. That's a mature cow but I would believe it.

I killed one in Montana in 2010 that I would bet was closing in on 600 pounds live weight, maybe more. It had a noticeably bigger body than any raghorn bull that I have killed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore

The black bears in Pennsylvania break this rule, killed a 500 pounder 300 yards from camp 3 years ago. Nearly 700 pounder less than a mile from my house last year.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When we quarter a bull, we quarter the bull. Cut the head off, then cut in half north/south between the second and third ribs. Sharp hatchet and a maul to cut the pelvis, then split the spine all the way up.

I killed a bull a few years ago, the only one I ever got a weight on, and even then just one of the hind quarters. It came in a 105 pounds, which explains why I hurt so bad for a week after packing it out of the wilderness.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Judman
Haha lotsa folks are killlin elk sized deer perty regular... grin

Wait until we start talking moose! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,870 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.