Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought a very nice Merkel recently and would like to get a leather case for it. is there one you guys would recommend?

I like this one except I would like to be able to see the straps that hold the gun to know that they can't scratch it with a buckle contact.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tourbon-Guns-Case-Shotgun-Hard-Box-Armas-Storage-Canvas-Leather-w-Lock-Vintage/253494185470?hash=item3b056e4dfe:g:isIAAOSwTGVbrX-F

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would not get a take down case. I have had them and used them but never liked taking the gun down and then reassembling it again after use. I have tried several full length metal and plastic cases like for travelling. That's about all I like those for. I do like leather cases. I like and use leather slip cases like an ordinary shotgun case. Some of the canvass and leather combination cases are very good. Of the completely leather (outside) cases I like the J.W. Hulme cases the most. Duluth Pack cases are equal quality, but not as well designed inside. Wilderness Pride makes very good canvas/leather cases that are well designed and tough and I believe I have one that is all leather exterior as well that I like a lot. I think J.W. Hulme has gotten out of the gun case business, and I wouldn't be surprised but what Duluth Pack has also. I have not seen one in a long time.

Was it me, I would just start searching ebay weekly at least looking for J.W. Hulme, Duluth Pack and Wilderness Pride leather cases in that order, and sooner or later one will turn up. The breakdown cases are not sturdy enough for traveling, the full length suitcase types get to be a PITA for everyday use.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Last edited by battue; 11/13/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you just google Duluth Pack leather gun case it'll give you some examples and it looks like they are still available, but they have gotten pretty pricey. Of course Merkels don't come cheap either. If you PM me an email addy I will send you a pic of what I am using. I live near where J.W. Hulme is and the last time I was there they told me they quit making gun cases, but that doesn't mean you won't find one on the internet if you look long enough and hard enough

Here's an option that I forgot about that may work for you https://www.triplek.com/ If you get ahold of them and ask they might be willing to make you a shotgun case to fit your Merkel out of heavy saddle leather. I have one of their rifle cases and it is easily more than sturdy enough to use on a horseback hunt and keep the rifle well protected. It is by far the stiffest and toughest leather case I own. It looks like quality well made leather cases are now going for ~$500.

For what it's worth, I have never know anyone who owned a Leg 'o Mutton case, a suitcase type take down case or a bag type take down case that used it all the time. I didn't care for taking the guns apart and then putting them back together because it invariably gets them nicked up. Every single person I have known that had one or more take down cases just solved the problem by going out and buying a good quality full length case and never looked back.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 3,202 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,920
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.