Print Thread
Hop To
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Been watching 32 head, with two or three rag-horn bulls. Too far to shoot (about 1 1/4 mile). Will get “busted” if we try to move on them. Waiting for them to decide.... our next move! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Did they cooperate?

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
No, we got “busted”...... by the park ranger! grin Actually, they had about 4 different directions to move....they picked the one we couldn’t/ wouldn’t follow! Now hoping to find some more cooperative! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/14/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Watched about 100 head right at dark. Maybe Fri or Sat.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve been fortunate to live in elk country for a long time. I lived on a ranch here in SW Montana that held upwards of 5,000 elk. I was also fortunate enough to live within eye sight of the National Elk Refuge in Jackson, WY. So, while I’m pretty much used to elk, I absolutely NEVER tire of seeing them... even if it’s just one.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would add, was on a friends property Sunday and had a 5pt in my sights at 120 yards. Fun is letting an immature bull live to see another day.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been trying to find some on Copper mountain (and surrounding area, #47) for weeks now. No luck. In fact, I have not seen a track so far.
Any of you guy have any intel? We've done well in other areas but zip in 47 so far. And now it's cows only but I and a few friends have 4 tags we'd like to fill.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
This is our last day for bulls and elk in this area. We still have cow permits south of here. We had an opportunity early, on a rag-horn. But, late afternoon, pretty dense grizzly population, and a 560 yard shot.....we passed! Looking back....maybe should’ve attempted the shot. Shooting conditions were ideal.....except for the distance. Felt pretty confident.....but there’s always the chance for a screw-up. Didn’t want to wound an elk.....would rather pass! memtb

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nothing on Copper! Have a friend that occasionally hunts it.....but haven’t talked to him since I retired. Good Luck.....maybe, “if” we get some weather, things will get better. We hit the low 50’s at our camper yesterday afternoon! Snow is mostly gone! mad memtb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was up there yesterday again. Most of the ground had snow. I went to the very tops of 4 mountains including Copper itself with all the towers. I spend 9 hours looking for elk sign. Zero! Not a track.

I am told by a few folks I know in Thermop that the heard runs east to west in those areas, not north and south so most of the elk may be over in area 48 now. I have been up there 7 times so far since Oct 9th. Zero! So I'm thinking they may be a few miles to the east, but that is either on closed private ground or in area 48 (or both) So I may leave it alone for a week or a bit more and try again just before the close of the season. But this year 47 has been a real bummer. I thought I'd ask however. Some of you guys may have a tip that would help.

I am going up with an 80 year old friend named Steven, who has bad knees and a back problem. I am trying to to help him. He can't move around very well, so for his elk I have to get him to a place he doesn't have to try to go up and down in some of the steep country. That adds another challenge for this year. I have helped "wounded warriors" in the past several times and so I have some experience in dealing with handicapped hunters, but I have never tried to do it on Copper Mountain before. Steven is not a vet, but he's been a real blessing to a lot of other people so many time (including myself and my wife) and so I want to help him if I can.

Last edited by szihn; 11/15/18.
IC B3

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
szihn, I wish I could give you some “uplifting” info....but, I got nothing! I can however, wish you Good Luck! memtb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks memtb.
I am not giving up. I'll go out again in a few days and see if any have moved over onto the land and maybe with God's blessing, I'll get one

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hey Memtb:
Did you ever get out and fill that tag??
It's get late. Only a few more weeks left for the extra cow tags.
Grand daughter has one to fill still. Filled my second one Friday evening.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
No! Too much “family BS”. Deer season (very hard to draw tags) wasted, and some of the elk season. Pretty much lost the desire to try....as the BS continues!

Good Luck to you and your granddaughter! Will it be her first elk? memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/03/18.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yea; First elk. Just got word the school work is slacking, so she might not go this year. Dad's.. We'll see if she applies herself in the next couple of weeks.
Coming over your way on the 21-22. Tourny in Thermop. I'll wave as I go by.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Been seeing lots of elk, just not in a spot I can get to and get them out... Maybe tomorrow..

Molon Labe
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hopefully the schoolwork improves, and she gets her elk. What kind of tournament? memtb

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Maybe they’ll soon cooperate. Moonless nights coming on....maybe they’ll be around longer in the daylight! Good Luck! memtb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wresting

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
631 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 2,861 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.