-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, as far as I know, only the bolt has NP3. I am guessing they have all the bolts treated that way, so when they decided to do this run, they just put cerakote over the top.

I don't know who did the cerakote. I would suspect Barrett has the ability, considering all the military rifles they build.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Brad
270 BFC 6lbs 13oz's, scoped (3.5-10x40 B&C) with sling, rounds and 23" bbl... there's a lot to like about this rifle. We shall see.

[Linked Image]

Where did you get silver Talleys for the Barrett? I’ve only seen black as an option.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
Where did you get silver Talleys for the Barrett? I’ve only seen black as an option.

Direct from Talley... they'll bead-blast any Al blued ring they make to SS if you ask.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good to know, thanks.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ChetAF
Yeah, as far as I know, only the bolt has NP3. I am guessing they have all the bolts treated that way, so when they decided to do this run, they just put cerakote over the top.

I don't know who did the cerakote. I would suspect Barrett has the ability, considering all the military rifles they build.

One note on the cerakote. The bolt is pretty slick on this one but not as slick as the non-cerakoted models. Still smoother than most cerakoted action/bolts I run. The FC rifles are done right and if it's something you like, the threading and cerakote are a nice bonus for no extra cash....I prefer this contour to the regular short action but others may not.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I finally got the chance for a quick test session with the new 6.5 Fieldcraft that I posted about before.

This was not anything formal, I just had a few minutes as the sun was setting to try a couple of factory loads. I think it shows some promise.

The rifle feeds well and the fit and finish is superb. It balances nicely forward with the heavier barrel and the factory Cerakote is a nice extra.

I tried the Hornady 147 ELD-M and Barnes 127 LRX factory loads. I am really disappointed in the way they shot in this 5.5 pound sporter. I am not sure if they are up to the standards of the Campfire. whistle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice shooting there...

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very nice Chet. Always a plus when they shoot multiple factory loads well.

I sighted mine in with some 143 eldx handloads from another rifle. 3 shot cloverleaf.

Decided I wanted to hunt with a different bullet so I threw together a mid-range load from Nosler's page with the 129 ABLR. Zero'd and fired one 3 shot group:

[Linked Image]

They work well.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I sighted mine in with some 143 eldx handloads from another rifle. 3 shot cloverleaf.

Decided I wanted to hunt with a different bullet so I threw together a mid-range load from Nosler's page with the 129 ABLR. Zero'd and fired one 3 shot group:

[Linked Image]

They work well.

[Linked Image]

That is great to see! I have wondered about the Nosler LRAB in the Fieldcraft. I may have to add that to my 'must try ' list. Have you tried the 142 grain LRAB?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

[Linked Image]

They work well.

[Linked Image]

That is great to see! I have wondered about the Nosler LRAB in the Fieldcraft. I may have to add that to my 'must try ' list. Have you tried the 142 grain LRAB?

I haven't. I went with the 129 because JPro had recommended it from experience. After using the 143eldx on a couple of deer last year I wasn't impressed with it's performance on game, though it shot excellent on paper. The 129's performance was great on a rib in/rib out lung shot....which was expected. I'm hoping to test it a bit more between now and mid-February...I'll report results.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

They work well.

[Linked Image]

I haven't. I went with the 129 because JPro had recommended it from experience. After using the 143eldx on a couple of deer last year I wasn't impressed with it's performance on game, though it shot excellent on paper. The 129's performance was great on a rib in/rib out lung shot....which was expected. I'm hoping to test it a bit more between now and mid-February...I'll report results.

I am wondering if the 142 LRAB might function like a 143 ELDX, but possibly a little tougher? They have the same BC.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

[Linked Image]

They work well.

[Linked Image]

I am wondering if the 142 LRAB might function like a 143 ELDX, but possibly a little tougher? They have the same BC.

It is an interesting bullet. I didn't realize it had the same BC as the 143 eldx.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I finally got the chance for a quick test session with the new 6.5 Fieldcraft that I posted about before.

This was not anything formal, I just had a few minutes as the sun was setting to try a couple of factory loads. I think it shows some promise.

The rifle feeds well and the fit and finish is superb. It balances nicely forward with the heavier barrel and the factory Cerakote is a nice extra.

I tried the Hornady 147 ELD-M and Barnes 127 LRX factory loads. I am really disappointed in the way they shot in this 5.5 pound sporter. I am not sure if they are up to the standards of the Campfire. whistle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That’s horrible Chet. Sorry you wasted so much money on it. I’ll forward you my email so you can get rid of that beater! whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Does the safety lock the action and what kind of trigger does it have?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It’s a Timney trigger that doesn’t lock bolt down

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
TY

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone know if they plan on offering the green/black option in other cartridges anytime soon? Looking for a light 7mm-08. I know a few members have or have had a 7-08 Fieldcraft. Has anyone taken advantage of the twist-rate and long box with hand-loaded 160's?

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Stick swears by 180's in the 7-08, I think

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by KH1473
Stick swears by 180's in the 7-08, I think

This week...and everything else is worthless crap...this week.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is that still scoped with the standard Leupy 6X42 w/turrets? Haven't been on these forums in a while . . .

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,413
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.