Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I lost a buck... 6 pointer at about 150 yards, Mule kicked when hit, then into the woods. Found where it was hit, fat chunks, bone shards, and a tuff of hair. No blood trail at all. Spent 3 1/2 hours till dark and never did find it. 6.5X57 with a 130g Accubond at about 2850fps. Rifle was sighted in 1" high at 100 yards. Aimed just behind the front shoulder midway. Where can one hit a deer that leaves fat and bone shards with no blood?? Low sternum is all I can think. Got a fork horn earlier, but I hate it when I know I hit a deer and did not recover it. First time. Spent several hours on a couple of others over the years but always found them.

Did you call Nosler yet? Maybe they can help.

LOL
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I was in a box stand, the rifle was rested not free hand. Perhaps the deer took a step between when I shot and the hit. The hair was brown tips, white underneath about two inches.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep.low.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never know unless you find it. No reason To guess for six pages..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Well as I said the rifle is one I know well, that load shoots 5 into 1" or less at 100 yards. I have taken perhaps 8 deer with that load and it works well. The fork horn I shot earlier that day never moved. One lung, top of heart and spine between the front shoulders. It was not the bullet or the load, perhaps the nut behind the trigger..

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It can happen to anyone. The one thing I hate to see in a blood trail is a piece of bone. Seems like it never turns out to be a good sign as far as recovering a shot deer.

My Daughter in law shot a nice little buck a few years ago with almost exactly what you describe as sign. She shot him broadside, just behind the shoulder. We searched for 2 days and found nothing. Several months after the season he turned up on a trail camera with a big scar on his back just behind his shoulder. She had hit him above the spine, blowing out a piece of bone, some fat and muscle and very little blood. It was healing up nicely even though he had what looked like a dip in the line of his back. We saw him several times on different cameras in the area. A couple of years after he had been shot, my son got him. He was a healthy 8 point with a patch of skin with no hair in the middle of his back.

Its hard to give up looking for him, but he could pull through and give you another shot next year. Never under estimate the ability of a white tail's recuperative power!

Harry
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shlt happens

mr miyagi say always look eye, come tomorrow start earry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you shoot enough deer, the law of averages will catch up and you will lose some no matter how careful you are.

A mule kick proves nothing .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
A .270 will bust the hell out of a shoulder.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it had been a Creedmire he'd have dropped to the ground already field dressed.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RiverRider
If it had been a Creedmire he's have dropped to the ground already field dressed.

And backstraps in the cooler

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Well a 6.5X57 is not a weak kneed round nor gay, not the current flavor a 6.5 Creedmoor. Just holds more powder.. However does not fit in a short action.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RiverRider
If it had been a Creedmire he's have dropped to the ground already field dressed.

laugh laugh laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bummer I'm sure. It can happen, regardless what the expert trackers have to say.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sounds like you hit the top and took some of the fins on top of the spine and some backstrap fat.

Highly doubt it. If you hit those fins, actually the spinal process, they drop as if struck by lightning, then jump back up and it’s off to the races. Mule kick......brisket hit.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
A mule kick proves nothing.

Surely a clean miss.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really hard to avoid losing one once in awhile. Things happen.
In 40 years of hunting, I can still recall each of them. It usually takes me about 3 days agonizing over what I coulda done differently until I finally get over it.
Last one I lost was with a damn malfunctioning flint lock. It went down at the shot at about 60 yards. I reloaded and smoked a cigarette, watching it for about 15 minutes.
As I walked down to it, it got up. I tried to give it another but the damn thing wouldn't spark.
Till I turned the flint and got it going again the deer crossed another hollow and I lost the trail.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well which was it, high or low grin

We are all guessing based on info given, would have been nice with pics of stuff found, remember finding a piece of scapula from one moose my brother shot, it ran into some other hunters and they claimed it while we were trying to track it.

"Sounds like you hit the top and took some of the fins on top of the spine and some backstrap fat."

Yep.low.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It helps the more information you get, wouldn't you agree?

Hopefully this won't turn into yet another campfire pissing match.

LOL
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Sounds like you hit the top and took some of the fins on top of the spine and some backstrap fat.

Highly doubt it. If you hit those fins, actually the spinal process, they drop as if struck by lightning, then jump back up and it’s off to the races. Mule kick......brisket hit.

I watched my buddy spine shoot a doe with his bow. It went right down and never got up. A kick typically does indicate a hit , but not necessarily a fatal hit.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 450yukon, 13 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,381
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.