Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
The six scraper set from Brownells looks like what I need for good inletting, but the price ($130.00) still has me in sticker shock. Does anyone else offer something like them for less $$?

I also figure I can make some out of worn jigsaw and sawzall blades. Any thoughts on making them and what generally seem to be the most useful shapes & sizes?

I can grind the edges of the scraper square and sharp without any problems, but getting the hook shape that the Brownells scrapers have is a problem. If I anneal the saw blade so I can bend it into a hook shape, won't it be too soft to hold an edge?

BP-B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've gotten by with just three for the last 35 years, but more is always better! Oh yeah, and two or three more that I made from other blades.
A couple of lattes. A case of beer. I paid $15 to bypass carry-on ONE of my scrapers past Anchorage to Kotzebue TSA ( it was an inch longer than their 7-inch brainiac rule......) .

And a scraper will last waaaay longer than a case of beer!. Or for that matter 6 cases of beer. smile

Perspective, man - perspective.

Last edited by las; 11/14/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have made inletting scrapers from old files, heat and bend the first inch or so at 70 degrees +/-, profile tip to suit (straight, radiused, angled for octagon barrel) grind a bevel and stone to sharpen. You can also use low carbon steel and case harden it with a product called Kasenit. For hobby use scrapers made by either of these methods are perfectly adequate, serviceable and economical.

Last edited by gunswizard; 11/14/18.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, $130 does seem salty at first blush. But you have to step back and ask yourself what your time is worth: can you afford to spend hours making similar tools when your time would be better spent doing something else? One advantage to making your own though is in making custom shapes for specific applications.

Small custom woodworking tools can certainly be made out of any high carbon steel scraps. As stated, heat with a torch to anneal (soften), shape it to your heart's desire, give it an initial sharp edge, then re-heat treat by taking it to cherry red and quenching in oil. De-slag it and give it a final honing and go to work with it. Doing this with low carbon cheap steel and then carburizing (case hardening) with Kasenit or somesuch makes for a one time use tool, and often not even that- one or two sharpenings while in the course of a job and you will have worn through the hardened surface making the tool well nigh useless without re-carburizing it again (and again and again...).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey mornin GWP here. I don't know if there is a Lee valley tool down there or maybe an equivalent business, (carpentry tool supplier) or busy bee, princess supply, usually cheaper than most gunsmiths business!!!!!! Broken glass works too, just be careful & put lots of tape on the top side to hang on to. Trappers supply also has hide scrapers that a hardened, maybe alter the shape keep cooling as ya grind. Hope that helps, I'm out 🐾👣🐾👣

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Paint scrapers work well if you can find one with the right width. PM en route with an example. Looks rather sharp.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Scraper burrs are easily rolled with the side of a polished screwdriver shank. Snap-on is perfect. Because it is a very small contact point the idea is to use ounces, not pounds of force.

Because the scrapers are used down in the inletting glass scrapers are pretty close to impossible to use.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
deleted

Last edited by Cabriolet; 11/18/18.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
deleted

Last edited by Cabriolet; 11/18/18.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you think you really need a scraper? I've only got one which has a different size on each end and does all I need but I seldom use it. I think it is a Jerry Fisher
Phil

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
364-700-000WB
Barrel Bedding Tool Set
$179.59

I think those were out of stock for a few years, back in stock now.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find the Gunline barrel inletting tool much more useful.
Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jerry Fisher sells a pair of scrapers, these are the ones I use the most

www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-su...ols/wood-scrapers/scrapers-prod6521.aspx

Last edited by irfubar; 11/18/18.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
These and the Jerry Fisher tool cover most of my needs. 772-100-000WB Stock Tools Set at $76 not too bad as I would spend almost that much making these from scratch.

I also use cabinet makers scrapers especially for the barrel channel. These come in handy for round barrel inlets. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...C_8Hp3gIVE1cNCh1BIANCEAkYESABEgLjVPD_BwE

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
119 members (6mmCreedmoor, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,766 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.