Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
We use transistor radios at camp all the time. The radio on the fish rack prevents bear and raven troubles, and the batteries last a long time... two weeks 24/7 at least.

.............. A neighbor had a raccoon family move into a utility shed that was built onto the side of their house. She wanted them gone but not killed or harmed. I had her put a portable radio ( with fresh batteries) out there and leave it on non-stop. Took a day or so IIRC but I saw mama raccoon moving her babies one by one over to the nearby woods in broad daylight.

GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
You cant believe how far away a big eared muley doe can hear one of those things with the earbud in your ear and with the volume down to barely while you are sitting up a tree in a climbing treestand with a bow in the mountains of NM while freezing your ass in the Jan late bow season.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used to sneak them into school to listen to the World Series!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big time radio guy here !, I own more than should be aloud.... and they run all day 24 7 in some of my places...AM radio is the greatest invention ever...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Owl: Does the "SW" (short wave?) band get any NOAA type weather stations.
That is a good deal - with or without weather.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brazos

1968 Tigers vs Cards!

Teacher grabbed mine and turned it up for us all to listen! WS games were daytime back then.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was a boy growing up in the early 60's I had a 2 transistor AM radio. I tried hard to listen to that little piece of junk, but just never could quite understand what was being said on it. It only picked up one station and I could see the lights on the radio tower to that station from my brother's bedroom window.

Harry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by Brazos

1968 Tigers vs Cards!

Teacher grabbed mine and turned it up for us all to listen! WS games were daytime back then.

And there was usually at least one "cool" teacher who would have the game on in the classroom.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The brown box am radios from the 60's. WLS Chicago was the only station other than a 100 watt local

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have an OLD Hitachi transistor radio. Looking right at it. Still works. Yard radio. Camp radio. Model TH-605. Red/silver. Can't remember what decade I bought it. 60's, 70's? Fun thread.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RiverRider, did it look like this? If so more pictures Here. Article says 30 bit word using DTL logic. Actually those purpose-built computers could be surprisingly powerful. One trick ponies but they did that one trick well. Speed is a relative thing with big words but I found memory (core) cycle specs of 4 us and later 2 us (250 or 500 kHz)

[Linked Image]

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe that's the dude, Nighthawk. It's been 38 years since I've seen that, but I remember having to load the software by setting up magnetic tape in what was called a transport, then setting values in a register and flipping switches to get it to load. The tape I always used was the one used for preflight. It would allow testing of most of the crew stations' functions. Getting a P-3 mission ready was an undertaking for sure. They would load the operational program the same way prior to takeoff. What you see there was just the control unit. There were also huge processor and memory units, and the power supply. It used logic units for interfacing to the weapons systems.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I at one time messed with radios, changing a police amplifier to ham frequency in my car, and old 60s radios all over the house.
My father converted battery powered radios to the new AC power in the 1930s when he was 12.
When I took apart Motorola radios, the design was better than I could have done.
I invested in Motorola in 1995.... dumb idea.

Now I have been replacing my ebay antiques with these Sangean WR-15WL AM/FM Table Top Wooden Radio, Walnut

[Linked Image]

The AUX in this room is connected to the computer.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Owl Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The shortwave on this seems to run from around 20m to 40m. Have not picked up any weather stations yet. Since I'm a ham radio operator, I usually have a hand held VHF raadio with me that receives the NOAA frequencies.

Owl

Last edited by Owl; 11/19/18.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been a radio guy forever. In the DC area, we had some great personalities on: Hardin & Weaver, Willard Scott and his blind partner (The Joy Boys), etc. WMAL is still the talk radio champ here with Rush, Chris Plante, And Mark Levin.

Got a Super Radio, but for general use, I have a Sangean Rechargeable, Solar, and crank model. Small, water resistant, and has a better sound quality for voice, I think than the GE. Been dropped a couple times, but the rubberized ends saved it. About $50 on Amazon. Also have a Grundig repro for the bedroom. Nice cabinetry, but the tuner is only mediocre IMHO. Still a nice piece.

Wish Art Bell was still on.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got my first one in 1963. My grandmother took me shopping with her, and we saw it in a Woolworths store. Don't recall the brand, but it was chrome and black, with a brown leather case. Carried it to school so I could listen to the 1963 World Series, Yankees and Dodgers. My 8th grade teacher caught me, and confiscated it until class was over. I got hold of some Army walky-talky batteries, and figured out a way to hook them up, and it really ramped up the power of that little radio.

1963......totally different world we lived in then. Don't get me wrong, because there is no going back, but we would all be better off today if the people still had the morals and convictions that most people had back then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

More than you wanted to know: Nothing in voice. There used to be teletype and facsimile broadcasts for ships and aircraft, pre-satellite. Maybe, probably still is. Used to be fun for amateurs to build equipment, particularly fax machines to capture satellite pictures rebroadcast on HF, to receive this stuff. The Internet sorta spoiled it because you can get a better product and anyone can do it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Back in the 50’s I had a Tiny Tim crystal diode radio. It had an earphone, and I clipped a ground or antenna wire to the dry cells on our old crank telephone.

You changed stations by pulling a carbon rod up and down that went thru a ferrite antenna coil. I’d listen to CKLW 800 out of Windsor/Detroit.

Last edited by tpcollins; 11/19/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Grundig s350 dl. First one lasted about 10 years until a flood killed it. Loved it so much that I found another like new condition on eBay 3 years ago. I still have the old one for parts if I ever need them.Great radio, I use it everyday in the shop and it goes with me to the ranchito every time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We don't have electricity at our deer camp in Pennsylvania, so I picked up a couple transistor radios. One's one of these jobs that uses batteries, solar, or a hand crank. That one stays in the cabin. The other one I carry hunting. It's about half the size of a pack of smokes and tucks neatly in my breast pocket on my flannel shirts. It's nice to have some sound while on stand. I wear a single ear bud and it works pretty good.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 2UP, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,474
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.