Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As above so below. Good boots, pack, rain gear, tent, sleeping bag, stove, etc. etc. all more important than the rifle. Just make sure your pilot or outfitter is up on current conditions. I have seen where hunters were dropped off at a convenient lake with no chance of a down river trip due to low flows. They asked if we had seen any game and we replied only the three moose we had shot already. When we told them they were not going to be able to go down the river they had a serious conversation with their pilot and were out of there the next day.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My vote is for the 270.. oh wait never mind..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by REDVANES
Originally Posted by ammoman16
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
you gotta love somebody who asks a question, gets solid answers from many different people who have been there/done that and then says "I don't care what you say I'm doing whatever I wanted to anyway."

If the OP wants to buy a new rifle, then go for it. I've never tried to talk anyone out of buying more guns, but don't go pretending you need one to kill a moose.

In defense of the OP people are answering questions that weren't asked. He's trying to decide between a .300 Win or RUM and people are suggesting other cartridges, rain gear, packs, boots and whatever else they feel like without knowing anything at all about what he already has. I'd dismiss people's opinions too if I asked for a or b and kept getting c for a response.

DING DING DING! This guy gets it. Thank you kind sir. Funny how these threads turn into a “I know more than you” kind of thing. I was literally chuckling in my tree stand this morning reading the responses, saying to myself, “did these guys even read my original post?”

Trust me, I’m good in gear guys... just wanted opinions on the 2 calibers.

I’m a little baffled that some people told me to take my 6.5 CM for perhaps a once in a lifetime hunt. Not that it won’t work but really? Gotta love the Campfire

Don’t forget your tree stand for your moose hunt..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It appears that many who have BTDT, think the wrong question is being asked.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
you gotta love somebody who asks a question, gets solid answers from many different people who have been there/done that and then says "I don't care what you say I'm doing whatever I wanted to anyway."

If the OP wants to buy a new rifle, then go for it. I've never tried to talk anyone out of buying more guns, but don't go pretending you need one to kill a moose.

In defense of the OP people are answering questions that weren't asked. He's trying to decide between a .300 Win or RUM and people are suggesting other cartridges, rain gear, packs, boots and whatever else they feel like without knowing anything at all about what he already has. I'd dismiss people's opinions too if I asked for a or b and kept getting c for a response.

Well I guess what us dumb ass Alaskans are trying too tell him, he doesn’t need a 300 win mag or 300 Rum to hunt moose. If already had it narrowed down to those two then why ask, he had his answer on his tree stand this morning.. he needs to ask himself this question will he be able to buy 300 rum ammo where ever he’s flying out of for his trip. Yeah yeah he’s bringing his own ammo ..

Last edited by 79S; 11/14/18.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Just sounded to me like he was scared of recoil. I guess I should have just answered neither if you think it’ll need a brake for you to be proficient with it.🙄

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would think that if one posts on the Alaska forum, a thread titled ALASKAN MOOSE RIFLE, one shouldn't be surprised to get practical advice on exactly that from exactly those people.

If one asks this same group "should I get a 300WM or 300 RUM to hunt moose with?", again, don't be surprised to hear "neither" from most of them. If the OP has is heart set on one of the two, I guess the answer would be "whichever you want the most"...

Or should we all just lie and say one works way better than the other, pretend that we all use one of the two and argue the merits of the two choices for several pages?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My father and I are makiang a life long dream come true and are doing a DIY drop moose hunt in Alaska in 2020.

I was dead set on buying a 300WM with 175gr Barnes LRX.

My overthinking has kicked in and am now conteplating a 300RUM shooting 200 grain LRX. What do you guys think about the RUM?

The largest caliber rifle I own is a 6.5 CM so I’m not super familiar with large cartridges.

I’ve shot my fathers 300WM in an encore with synthetic stock and that dang thing knocks the snot out of me every time I shoot it. It’s a fairly lightweight rifle though.

If I go the RUM route I’ll definitely install a brake
.......Either is excellent.........A good rule of thumb that I read somewhere. Do not remember the source. IIRC, that when comparing two rounds of equal caliber or diameter, for every 400 fps gained at the muzzle, roughly 100 yards is gained in downrange killing power ballistically. Do the math for both rounds.

Make sure you can handle or shoot either well......

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Redvanes, I don’t live in AK and have only shot one moose, so take this for what it’s worth. However, I’ve been fortunate to shoot a fair number of animals that take equivalent power as does a moose, to kill reliably, given any reasonable shot. Sounds like your moose hunt is a once in a lifetime experience, so having a rifle chambered for a cartridge that will allow you to take any reasonable shot presented is probably a good idea.

I’m an unabashed rifle loony so have had several rifles in both 300WM and 300RUM. I like both cartridges quite a bit - they’ll both kill a moose if you place a well constructed bullet into the vitals. I shot my moose with a 325WSM with a 200 grain Nosler PT, because it was a new cartridge at the time, in a SS-synthetic rifle, perfect for the AK weather you’ll likely find too. Ballistically, the 325WSM cartridge is identical to the 300WM and WSM.

For a number of years now, however, when I need a rifle in the 300 mag class, my choice is most frequently a SA 300WSM with 180 Nosler Partitions. I am very familiar with the rifle, confident I can shoot it accurately as far as I need. It’s never let me down. The rifle is light - I carry it a lot more on every hunt than I shoot it - something I wouldn’t underestimate. You might consider a similar option.

To answer your original question, if you like it go for a 300 mag - the RUM is probably more than you need and the ammo is expensive and hard to find - practice with it, and enjoy your hunt. SS in a synthetic stock is a great idea. As you already heard, skip the muzzle brake, it’s an unnecessary hassle. If you practice enough, recoil won’t be an issue.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While he may not have asked advice for the items such as rain gear, good optics, etc., they are all important. Either of the calibers he mentioned will get the job done, I personally have carried everything from a .270WSM to .300 WM and everything in between for hunting in Alaska. If I had it to do all over again, I would have opted to just use my 20 year old .30-06, updated the glass on it, and bought quality rain gear and footwear. I eventually got the stuff after 4 or 5 hunting seasons, but I was miserable the first two years at times hunting in the rain and snow. I knew about having quality hunting clothes to stay warm in after 3 seasons in MT, but I was not prepared for a week of hunting in the steady rain, like occurs so many times in August and September.

Last edited by Hudge; 11/15/18.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Redvanes, I don’t live in AK and have only shot one moose, so take this for what it’s worth. However, I’ve been fortunate to shoot a fair number of animals that take equivalent power as does a moose, to kill reliably, given any reasonable shot. Sounds like your moose hunt is a once in a lifetime experience, so having a rifle chambered for a cartridge that will allow you to take any reasonable shot presented is probably a good idea.

I’m an unabashed rifle loony so have had several rifles in both 300WM and 300RUM. I like both cartridges quite a bit - they’ll both kill a moose if you place a well constructed bullet into the vitals. I shot my moose with a 325WSM with a 200 grain Nosler PT, because it was a new cartridge at the time, in a SS-synthetic rifle, perfect for the AK weather you’ll likely find too. Ballistically, the 325WSM cartridge is identical to the 300WM and WSM.

For a number of years now, however, when I need a rifle in the 300 mag class, my choice is most frequently a SA 300WSM with 180 Nosler Partitions. I am very familiar with the rifle, confident I can shoot it accurately as far as I need. It’s never let me down. The rifle is light - I carry it a lot more on every hunt than I shoot it - something I wouldn’t underestimate. You might consider a similar option.

To answer your original question, if you like it go for a 300 mag - the RUM is probably more than you need and the ammo is expensive and hard to find - practice with it, and enjoy your hunt. SS in a synthetic stock is a great idea. As you already heard, skip the muzzle brake, it’s an unnecessary hassle. If you practice enough, recoil won’t be an issue.

Good stuff! Thank you for your constructive reply!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
TAKE A NORMAL CARTRIDGE RIFLE ,JUST IN CASE YOU NEED MORE AMMO. EXAMPLES 30-06,270 WIN,7 MAG,300 WIN MAG. ,338 WIN MAG THESE ARE THE CARTRIDGES I CALL GROCERY STORE AMMO, stuff you can find easier. and there may be a few more ? as a gun dealer I tell people this all the time.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the point that many people are trying to help you with is the fact that moose hunting is challenging enough without making it more difficult. If your heart is set on one of two 30 mags, the Win. Mag would be a no-brainer. It’s very popular and common.

Just a heads up when posting here though, if you have your heart set on a 6-20x scope for your hunt and want advice on brand, be prepared for (keep an open mind) hearing other options. You will get them.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 79S

Well I guess what us dumb ass Alaskans are trying too tell him, he doesn’t need a 300 win mag or 300 Rum to hunt moose. If already had it narrowed down to those two then why ask, he had his answer on his tree stand this morning.. he needs to ask himself this question will he be able to buy 300 rum ammo where ever he’s flying out of for his trip. Yeah yeah he’s bringing his own ammo ..

Sorry as I wasn't trying portray anybody being a dumb ass. Good thought on the RUM and ammunition availability. We do reload and will take our own but it's a good thought that I can find 300win anywhere just incase.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My encouragement to not buy a new rifle came on the heels of your "pinching pennies, working side jobs" statement. You're describing a scenario where you have very limited resources, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of those resources on a component of "your once-in-a-lifetime hunt" that will not improve the outcome of the hunt. As I said before, do what you want and buy what you want, but if you're looking for affirmation in your decision it's probably best to seek it from those that aren't well acquainted with killing moose.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife grew up in Alaska eating moose her father killed every year with a Pre 64 70 30-06 with a Lyman peep. Her brother liked his 7mm Rem Mag. Of your choices I'd go 300 Win Mag, but I've never shot a moose...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have good optics, so no worries there.

What optics? Out of curiosity...

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by False_Cast
I have good optics, so no worries there.

What optics? Out of curiosity...

Meopta Meostar HD 10X42s
Leupold VX3i 4.5-14X40 or Vortex Viper HST 4-16X50
Sig Sauer Rangefinder

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have shot moose with a lot of different cartridges. None survived. The 300WM and 30-06 have accounted for most.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Anyone using a 458 win mag? Or heavy modern 45/70 hardcasts?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

320 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 48 invisible), 1,700 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,438
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.