Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Any synthetics? Down gets damp from perspiration even when being careful. It is also expensive.

I have a Patagonia that I like for these purposes. Very light, reasonably compressible, quite warm. And it was cheap, but its falling g apart at last and needs replacement.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Is there an Army issue item like the LPP?

Not really. The ECWS Level 7 is a “high loft” puff jacket, but it’s not really comparable.

I have the level 7 puff jacket, and it is very warm. I didn't think there was a comparable to the LPP, but since I retired, I'm not sure what they're adding or replacing anymore.

Last edited by David_Walter; 11/15/18.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Originally Posted by cast10K
Formid - what can/do you wear over the chamberlin?

Just a rain/wind shell.

Sorry, I meant specific shell recommendations/favorites. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

So this is what I’ve talked about in this thread...

So that system is good for glassing in the teens for you. If you wouldn’t mind- what does that mean? Are you sitting completely motionless (I.e. not moving at all, no stomping feet, rubbing arms, etc.). ? If so, for how long? Is that in the sunlight? What are you wearing on your legs?

I ask these things because you have what amounts to a 30-40 degrees sleeping bag as far as loft and insulation, yet without the greater thermal effects of the bag, and your saying you are good to the teens...?

Form,

I appreciate your field testing and realize that any such testing must have some objective criteria to use.

However, short of coyotes and whitetails (where most of the time, weight is not a concern), how realistic is sitting motionless for hours? And why did you pick that as your yardstick?

I live and hunt in Montana in November, in one of the colder parts of the state. I can't imagine carrying enough clothes up a mountain to sit motionless for hours when its around 0* F, and even if I had the clothing, I'd have to bring a second set of boots to keep my feet warm once I got there.

Point being, I never assume that I will have to be motionless for hours, and really I can't think of why I would. Usually I sit down to glass, throw on a layer or two, and try to sit for as long as possible. Then, I either get up and hike to a new glassing spot or take a short warm-up walk and then come back to my spotting scope. Even if I bring an insulation layer for top and bottom and am mostly comfortable, my feet will get cold and I'll have to move to warm those up.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I posted earlier that it was 4 degrees a couple days ago when we were elk hunting. Sit motionless for hours in that? Not a chance. I've never found a soft enough rock in the mountains for my butt to take it for that long. My feet would be the first victims.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Every person is different so there is no one right answer.

For me, the LPP over the Atom is very warm. It was too warm for hiking in single digit temps at 12k. Then I had a Patagonia silk weight base, 240 and Atom. The Atom is a surprisingly warm jacket. This morning it was in the 20s but very windy and my body was completely comfortable as well. I was still, just leaning against a tree glassing a mountain. I’m never moving to get warm while glassing. If I get that cold it’s time to start hiking somewhere. It’s just hunting, I’m. It that motivated! Hands and feet are typically another story when temps get into the teens. Legs have been ok with FL Merino, Prana Zion with the puffy kuiu insulation over the top while glassing. I did pick up some big Cabelas gloves for glassing and they are awesome. kind of bulky, but warm!!

My feet are always the first to get me moving. Trying some Superfeet in insulated Crispis. It’s a little better.

Last edited by prm; 11/15/18.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I still love this thread.

And still no one has called anyone an idiot yet cool

I was all set to buy a Sitka Kelvin down hoody but will re-evaluate the FL Chamberlan.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Form - how durable do you think the exterior material is on the Chamberlin? I believe its nylon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Any synthetics? Down gets damp from perspiration even when being careful. It is also expensive.

I have a Patagonia that I like for these purposes. Very light, reasonably compressible, quite warm. And it was cheap, but its falling g apart at last and needs replacement.

Have you personally had a high quality down jacket wet out? I/we have used a bunch, and I can not say on good down, especially water treated down, has lost loft.

My second question would be- why are you sweating in a puffy?

Originally Posted by cast10K

Sorry, I meant specific shell recommendations/favorites. Thanks.

Whew. That’s a bit open ended. What are you wanting out of the shell?

Originally Posted by bellydeep

Form,

I appreciate your field testing and realize that any such testing must have some objective criteria to use.

However, short of coyotes and whitetails (where most of the time, weight is not a concern), how realistic is sitting motionless for hours? And why did you pick that as your yardstick?

I live and hunt in Montana in November, in one of the colder parts of the state. I can't imagine carrying enough clothes up a mountain to sit motionless for hours when its around 0* F, and even if I had the clothing, I'd have to bring a second set of boots to keep my feet warm once I got there.

Point being, I never assume that I will have to be motionless for hours, and really I can't think of why I would. Usually I sit down to glass, throw on a layer or two, and try to sit for as long as possible. Then, I either get up and hike to a new glassing spot or take a short warm-up walk and then come back to my spotting scope. Even if I bring an insulation layer for top and bottom and am mostly comfortable, my feet will get cold and I'll have to move to warm those up.

For one reason, you have to have a standard to compare against. Of a “moving” standard is used there is almost no usable info that can be gleaned. For instance, last week in 5 degrees, snow falling, and a 8-10 mph wind, I was in a thin base layer and waffle top (LW fleece) while slowly moving, and would have been drenched from sweat with any weight puffy. In contrast, my partner had the same layers on, plus a heavy puffy, and a rain jacket and was fine.

Second, for hunting- we get to ridge tops and glass big valleys all day. I agree with you in that I doubt very many people sit and glass late season, as we’ve never met a single person doing it and in the last decade in 4-5 western states. However it works, and we kill pretty consistently doing it.

As for what you do- why would you want to “need” to move instead of choosing clothing that lets you just sit and glass? Feet are the problem, but there are ways to mitigate that.

If you use the “I move when I get cold” standard... there’s no info there. That’s how you get people say that a jacket that has as much insulation as a 50 degree sleeping bag “is an oven”. It means nothing.

Originally Posted by prm

For me, the LPP over the Atom is very warm. It was too warm for hiking in single digit temps at 12k. Then I had a Patagonia silk weight base, 240 and Atom. The Atom is a surprisingly warm jacket. This morning it was in the 20s but very windy and my body was completely comfortable. I was still, just leaning against a tree glassing a mountain. Hands and feet are typically another story when temps get into the teens. Legs have been ok with FL Merino, Prana Zion with the puffy kuiu insulation over the top while glassing.

My feet are always the first to get me moving. Trying some Superfeet in insulated Crispis. It’s a little better.

I guess the 40+ dudes we’ve conducted testing with are sissy’s. Not one dude has been comfortable in those temps wearing those clothes.

Originally Posted by bwinters
Form - how durable do you think the exterior material is on the Chamberlin? I believe its nylon.

It’s a normal puff jacket. I wouldn’t wear it busting brush, but then I couldn’t move at all in it anyways. The Sitka with WS is much more durable.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm

For me, the LPP over the Atom is very warm. It was too warm for hiking in single digit temps at 12k. Then I had a Patagonia silk weight base, 240 and Atom. The Atom is a surprisingly warm jacket. This morning it was in the 20s but very windy and my body was completely comfortable as well. I was still, just leaning against a tree glassing a mountain. I’m never moving to get warm while glassing. If I get that cold it’s time to start hiking somewhere. It’s just hunting, I’m. It that motivated! Hands and feet are typically another story when temps get into the teens. Legs have been ok with FL Merino, Prana Zion with the puffy kuiu insulation over the top while glassing. I did pick up some big Cabelas gloves for glassing and they are awesome. kind of bulky, but warm!!

The Atom is a nice jacket, and probably has the most comfortable hood of anything I've tried. But it is noisy, especially when it gets real cold. I like either the Kuiu Kenai or Patagonia Nano Air better because they are quiet. I wore a Kuiu Peloton 200 hoody and a Nano Air last weekend. It was -2* F. It worked very well when active. Of course, I had to layer up when I stopped.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Form,

For one reason, you have to have a standard to compare against. Of a “moving” standard is used there is almost no usable info that can be gleaned. For instance, last week in 5 degrees, snow falling, and a 8-10 mph wind, I was in a thin base layer and waffle top (LW fleece) while slowly moving, and would have been drenched from sweat with any weight puffy. In contrast, my partner had the same layers on, plus a heavy puffy, and a rain jacket and was fine.

Second, for hunting- we get to ridge tops and glass big valleys all day. I agree with you in that I doubt very many people sit and glass late season, as we’ve never met a single person doing it and in the last decade in 4-5 western states. However it works, and we kill pretty consistently doing it.

As for what you do- why would you want to “need” to move instead of choosing clothing that lets you just sit and glass? Feet are the problem, but there are ways to mitigate that.

If you use the “I move when I get cold” standard... there’s no info there. That’s how you get people say that a jacket that has as much insulation as a 50 degree sleeping bag “is an oven”. It means nothing.

Could you list what you carry to allow you to sit motionless for so many hours?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't find it practical to carry as many clothes as I think I would need to stay warm (and again, cold feet are ultimately my limiting factor).

Also, I don't mind taking short breaks to warm up during glassing sessions. My eyes and brain welcome the disruption.

Overall, I think we hunt using similar tactics. I'm just curious as to how you are able to sit so long.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You’re saying 40+ dudes couldn’t comfortably glass in the teens wearing an Aerowool base, Peleton 240, Arcteryx Atom and an LPP?? I find that an insanely warm combination. Too warm for anything but glassing. I’ve been wearing it a few weeks and it’s fantastic for me. If it’s too cold when wearing that I’m not going hunting. I think the coldest I’ve sat with it is 0-5 deg. Body is totally comfortable.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by prm
You’re saying 40+ dudes couldn’t comfortably glass in the teens wearing an Aerowool base, Peleton 240, Arcteryx Atom and an LPP?? I find that an insanely warm combination. Too warm for anything but glassing. I’ve been wearing it a few weeks and it’s fantastic for me. If it’s too cold when wearing that I’m not going hunting. I think the coldest I’ve sat with it is 0-5 deg. Body is totally comfortable.

I know I'm being OCD but it might be helpful to list which ATOM you have. They make 3 or 4 levels of Atom Jacket. (AR, LT, SL, etc)

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Form,

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't find it practical to carry as many clothes as I think I would need to stay warm (and again, cold feet are ultimately my limiting factor).

Also, I don't mind taking short breaks to warm up during glassing sessions. My eyes and brain welcome the disruption.

Overall, I think we hunt using similar tactics. I'm just curious as to how you are able to sit so long.

I’d also be very interested in this. It seems like the cold seeps up through my feet and limits the amount of time I can sit in cold weather as well.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by mod7rem

Form,

I’d also be very interested in this. It seems like the cold seeps up through my feet and limits the amount of time I can sit in cold weather as well.

Try a 18"x60"x1/2" ensolite pad, feet to small of back insulation and some padding. It rolls up and carries easily.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
[quote=Formidilosus]

There are a few combinations that generally work, but down to 15-20 degrees this year-

Lightweight base layer top and bottom- FL Aerowool, Patagonia Level 1, FS 100, etc.

Light to mid fleece top- Patagonia R1 grid, etc.

Wind shirt.

Whatever pants one prefers- Prana Zion, Sitka Timberlines FL, Obsidian, etc.

That’s what’s worn moving. Immediately upon stopping, put on Chamberlin jacket and rain jacket over that.

Lightweight puff pants go on, heavy weight puff pants (PCU Level 7, Beyond, etc.) over that. Then rain pants over all of it. Add neck gaitor and beenie. The main weakness is puff pants. No one is really making down pants comparable to the FL Chamberlin. Nunatak will build them, and I’ll have a pair next year.

Any colder and you really need to step up to a true artic suit such as the Arc’teryx LEAF Cold WX SV.

Originally Posted by prm

No, not motionless. How long were you sitting still and “totally comfortable”?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mountain serape!!!!!!

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And I like a windshirt over the base layer and under the fleece insulation layer.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
Page 18 of 22 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,346 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.