Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How many have built customs and then wished they had done something different after receiving the finished product? What would you change if you could??

I had Kampfeld build a 7 SAUM for me........I like the rifle, and it is a shooter, but would do things differently if I could start over. I ordered a fluted Krieger barrel for the build and, if I had it to do over again, I'd change 2 things. I ordered a heavy contour fluted barrel, the flutes on my blank were very shallow.....if I had known how shallow they would be I wouldn't have paid for fluting. After using the rifle for awhile the heavy contour lost some of it's appeal.

So, if I could go back and do it over, I'd probably order a lighter contour and skip the flutes.

Cancer Sucks
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One of the bad things about Krieger and Bartlein barrels is they dont offer lighter sporter type contours in a stainless barrel.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
How many have built customs and then wished they had done something different after receiving the finished product? What would you change if you could??

I had Kampfeld build a 7 SAUM for me........I like the rifle, and it is a shooter, but would do things differently if I could start over. I ordered a fluted Krieger barrel for the build and, if I had it to do over again, I'd change 2 things. I ordered a heavy contour fluted barrel, the flutes on my blank were very shallow.....if I had known how shallow they would be I wouldn't have paid for fluting. After using the rifle for awhile the heavy contour lost some of it's appeal.

So, if I could go back and do it over, I'd probably order a lighter contour and skip the flutes.

Based on what I have seen for sale in the classifieds quite a few have had regrets.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
For me, a few biggies are:

1) Too heavy. Took me a long time to realize that I really do prefer a lighter rifle. And that you really do have to count ounces to ensure you come in at a comfortable 7.0 to 7.5 pounds for standard chamberings.

2) Short tubes. Everyone on the 'Fire talks about how handy short barrels are. Took me a while to figure out that I like a slightly muzzle forward balance. Hence I prefer 24" barrels over 22" barrels. Psychological ? Maybe. But I like 24" tubes.

3) Stock Ergos. There are certain stock ergos that I prefer, eg: thin wrist, high comb, not so wide fore ends. Love the looks of Pre-64 M70's and their original stocks. But, prefer mine in a McMillan Hunter's Edge. Have a wall full of stocks for various makes of rifles that were just "not quite right" for me after i bought them and tried them on my rifles.

I finally have a pretty good idea of what I like and don't like. But, took several dollars over several years to gain that "experience".

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have built several and did wish I had done things differently on a few. Like Orion said I have settled on what I really like and my last few have been perfect for my tastes.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I put one together a few years back......Montana rifle action , 26 “ shilen, B&C stock .......shot great. Was a 25-06, killed a dandy speed goat........but it was heavy. Sold here on the fire. It was a great rifle but I moved on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has been said on here many times.

Weight and wait.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Twist for me on a couple. They work perfect for my needs, but a faster twist would have made them even more versatile.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is the crux of being a looney. The syndrome is if only so and so were different. If I can offer any advice it would be this: Go with the fastest twist you think you might need, Get the lightest barrel that will work for your use, get the highest grade wood you can afford then go higher, or the lightest synthetic available, Spend money on good glass and go hunting enjoy.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some good points made. Weight has been top of the list for me. Worried too much on barrel muzzle OD dimensions, barrel length<---->velocity, etc. and not enough about weight. I've luckily avoided the twist rate issue so far by using "when in doubt, go faster" with an example being my 6.5-06AI that is 1:8" and throws 120's as well as 160's.

The other advice would be having an in-depth conversation with the gunsmith about ammo, especially if you handload. If you know the bullet you want, make up some dummy loads and make sure it's throated for exactly what you want. SAAMI chamberings can seem too generous, and there's a chance you'll have buyer's remorse if you have your heart set on a specific bullet and don't make that clear upfront.

Murphy was a grunt.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RickF
Has been said on here many times.

Weight and wait.

Bingo!

Also, for myself, having a stock that "suits" me and having an excellent trigger are the cornerstone of a rifle that "works" for me.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I built a couple and wasn’t far enough up the learning curve myself to give the gunsmith good direction.

Too heavy contour
Wrong twist (too slow - made the mistake of following his advice and he was old school and not on the long heavy bullet train at the time.
Told gunsmith what i wanted but it didn’t dawn on my to write it down for him (he did not write it down and invariably both were wrong the first time)
Gunsmith was local, which was good to deliver parts in person and go see him to stay top of mind, but he ended up going radio silent on me for almost a year

I’ve made both of them work and both shoot a lot better than i can though so it wasn’t terrible. But with hindsight i would definitely do the things above differently

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've been a member here a good while and have read a lot of "regret posts" about rifle builds. For a hunting rifle the regret I remember seeing most often is the rifle came out too heavy, and it's usually due to selecting a too heavy barrel contour.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Building more than one!!

Buy the very best components right from the beginning, find the best gunsmith you can & build it with no holds barred...then be done and go hunting!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple of my early ones had shanks that were too long.

I was into wildcat cartridges when I was younger, too. Wish I hadn't done some of those. Plenty of factory or close to factory cartridges out there that fit the bill just fine. I believe the only ones I have now that are wildcats are 25-204 and 250 AI. Love both.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
How many have built customs and then wished they had done something different after receiving the finished product?

I had several custom firearms built when I had more range and gun shop experience than hunting experience. Every one of them was way too expensive for the advantages that it actually provided. After I spent more time hunting, and after I read a lot of Allen Day's posts, I realized that a CRF Model 70 with good glass and a good synthetic stock is all that I need. I have a 30-06 and I'd like to get a 270, 308, 300 WM, or 338 WM for a backup, but I'm done customizing firearms beyond that.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 11/16/18.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I guess my only regret is my way too light 280AI. It needs to be 2lbs heavier. I should have built a small caliber on the components.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
This one....
[Linked Image]

It was a .338/06 and I told the barrel maker to copy the contour. Well,it went from .338" caliber to .224" caliber (it is a .22/6mm). In the picture it weighs almost 11 lbs.

But the barreled action fit in the stock with no problems.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What brand is that thumbhole stock?

PASS IT ON!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

579 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 64 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,017
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.