Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Hey guys decided to start running Kuiu, was running Sitka and a few other odds and ends but decided to get the whole shebang and treat myself for the holidays. Some people I've talked to said forget the soft shell like the guide jacket and just get the Yukon rain jacket as your outer layer. What do you guys think I should get to for a full system protection from early season to late season? Also I was thinking about getting the packable Chugach rain jacket and pants and getting the new axis hybrid jacket for my outer layer than if it rains switch it out to the chugach, attack pants for early season, axis pants for mid to late season, merino base layers and peloton zip up. Any recommendations for my year round kuiu system and what merino or peloton options I should run? Also the puffy super down pro or the puffy super down ultra for cold weather. Gonna be using this for and October Wyoming elk hunt next year and a late season cow elk hunt in Montana and hopefully and archery deer hunt in Idaho so I need a complete all season system. Any recommendations would be awesome. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't help you completely, I have too much other gear that I will never wear out, so I don't need everything replaced.

I have bought two sets of gloves, a Peleton 240 vest and a Guide DCS jacket. It doesn't rain much if ever in my hunting season, so I don't need rain gear.

I have gone to two events where Kuiu had a store set up. With my wide shoulders and the belly I've recently grown, I'm a 3XL for jackets, their pants would never fit so I don't try.

The staff were big fans of the Peleton 240 jacket or full zip hoodie. Said they wore it early for sheep or bow hunting and as a m8d layer later. They said it blocks the wind well. If they had the jacket in a green or brown, I think I would have bought it. Instead bought the guide jacket. I may try it later this week.

So my recommendation, get the Peloton 240 jacket or hoodie. That Axis jacket looks intriguing except if you Hunter the PNW.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I'm 6 ft 1 200 pounds and pretty broad shouldered do you think and XL or XXL would be better suited for me? I know your not and expert just trying to figure out how Kuiu sizing runs

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have been using Kuiu from the beginning. You will find the pants are sized accurately to your waist. Hemming may or may not be necessary - but it is fairly straightforward. The jackets are cut for an athletic build, something that Kuiu has taken some "heat" over. Follow the sizing chart for your XL/XXL jacket. It should only take one to figure out what to do. If you are borderline, opt for the larger size. Don't forget about layering so a little larger jacket may be just fine. They are efficient with their returns but don't cut the tags off until you are sure. There is a sale going on now thru the 18th on some pretty good items. Also they have prepared a "buy list" of all the items you need based on time of year. Its a good reference chart. FWIW I buy a fair amount of neutral colors so I can wear it around town and not look like "camo joe". Good luck.

I should add their Merino wool is great for layering.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/15/18.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I would go with XL on most things I would go with 2 xl if you get a coat like the yukon. my setup is I have both the merino 145 and 210 tops. I go with the 145 if I plan on it getting over 60 degrees that day. if not I put on the 210 as a base layer. For pants I wear tru spec cargo pants. if cold I add the 210 merino zip off base layer, which is awesome because once the sun comes out and warms up you have the option of taking them off very easily. I use the peloton 240 full zip hoodie over that, and if its colder I go superdown for the outer layer. I also have superdown pants but haven't needed them yet. For cloudy weather or something you know its going to rain, I would go merino 145 or 210 base layer, peloton hoodie and yukon jacket. OR you can use their packable rain coat option if your not expecting more than a passing shower. I also recommend the 145 merino neck gater and stocking cap. both are very comfortable and add warmth without being able to feel too hot. I also have the merino 210 gloves, which are great too, I compared them to the peloton 200 gloves which I also have. the warmth is about the same but the peloton doesn't breath as well.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 34 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.