Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In 30 caliber and above I dont think it matters much if at all. Below that I would prefer the TTSX by a wide margin.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used both of the versions in 257, 264 and 308. I prefer the TSX over the TTSX in these. Both will kill/perform, but I have found the TTSX to be more violent. I actually caught a 264 140gr TTSX out of a 264 win mag in a bedded buck at 180 yards. Both are stone cold killers, but I find there are more TSX on my bench than the tipped versions. I do lone the TTSX in the 323 (8mm), it has brought new life to my 8x57.

CK
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by vapodog
Can anyone comment on how the Hornady and/or Nosler stacks up against the Barnes TTSX for terminal performance?

I have never used the Hornady or Nosler monos and never will. Why try to find something as good as the best? I have taken and seen taken a bunch of deer and elk with the TTSX and nothing I’ve seen leads me to try something else. Just stick with the Barnes and kill critters. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by vapodog
Can anyone comment on how the Hornady and/or Nosler stacks up against the Barnes TTSX for terminal performance?

I've seen around 40 animals taken with E-Tip and GMX bullets, the majority by me, ranging from pronghorns and springbok to bull elk, nilgai and similar-sized African game such as blue wildebeest. In general both have shot just about as accurately as the Barnes bullets, and perform so similarly on game I can't tell any difference. The percentage of recovered bullets is similarly small, though have recovered all three brands from pronghorns, all with VERY angling shots.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have found the Etip snd GMX to be more difficult to get to shoot, so I stopped bothering with them and have just ran Barnes. Barnes have always been easy to get to shoot since they went to the the grooved shank design.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/10/18.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Have never seen a TTSX fail to open, though have seen one credible report that it occurred, apparently due to angling shot that bent the tip, probably on a rib..

I have. A freind recovered a 168 shot out of a .308 into a bull, no expansion at all. Of course, the MV was only 2650 so there's that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

I've shot numerous elk with 180-grain TSX's out of a .300 win mag with excellent results. Two weeks ago I took a 5x5 bull in Montana using 165-grain TTSX out of a 30-06. The actual bullet photo is linked below and it performed perfectly.

The shot was 251 yards from a pre-64 Model 70 featherweight with 22" barrel. The load was 58 grains of IMR-4350 with muzzle velocity right at 2,800 fps. At 250 yards it was going approximately 2,300 fps and broke the front shoulder and traveled through both lungs and the opposite shoulder and was found under the hide. It was a nose-dive bang-flop on an undisturbed animal. The final bullet weight was 164.4 grains and it expanded to .555 inches wide. Nosler Accubonds, Partitions and Barnes TSX's have been my go-to bullets for big game hunting and this is my first experience with the TTSX. This rifle showed a real preference for the TTSX's and I was pleased with the results. This was a sample of exactly 1, but thought I would post since I seldom recover premium bullets.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/medium/84056.jpg

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I shot a bull at 225 yards with a 168 TTSX out of my .300 Weatherby last week and have no idea how well it expanded. Bull dropped nearly in his tracks from a double lung hit with an exit pass through. Never have recovered a TTSX from the .300 or 7mm Wby. Never had an animal take more than a couple of steps either. Why mess with success? Two hunting pals had same results this hunt with their .300 Roy with a 168 & 180 TTSX on a bull and mule deer buck. Steve’s rifle likes the 180 gr TTSX but I doubt the 12 gr difference is of any practical consequence. Happy Trails

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BWalker
I have found the Etip snd GMX to be more difficult to get to shoot, so I stopped bothering with them and have just ran Barnes. Barnes have always been easy to get to shoot since they went to the the grooved shank design.

Since I have to buy all my own components, I’m not feeling compelled to try other bullets just to see if they work as well. Now, maybe if the others were free I might try them. Nah, probably not.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
BWalker,

In general, I haven't found either E-Tips or GMX's any more difficult to get to shoot as well as TSX's. About the only "trick" I've had to use is seating them a little deeper--which is usually about the only trick needed with TSX's as well.

But then again, I don't have problems with belted cases stretching in front of the belt, either, as some handloaders do.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I never had a complaint about the TSX.....only went with the TTSX for the “very much” improved BC. Few options available for my caliber ( .375), and the 270 grain had a BC similar to that of a brick! wink. Went with the 250 TTSX....wish I’d waited a few more years for the 270 LRX! The TTSX seems to “open” a bit more violently, than the TSX....but it’s also leaving the muzzle a little over 200 fps faster! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Helped others to bone out four mule deer today.....all taken with a 120 grain TTSX .264 magnum. Bullet performance as good as anything I've ever used.....superb bullets.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
No experience with TSX, but the 150gr Barnes TTSX shoot well out of my .308. Here's a bullet recovered from the left hind qtr of a mule deer after a 20yd shot in the chest. Rifle is a Kimber MT 84M. I hope to get an elk with this combo soon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Driftboater; 11/13/18.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
BWalker,

In general, I haven't found either E-Tips or GMX's any more difficult to get to shoot as well as TSX's. About the only "trick" I've had to use is seating them a little deeper--which is usually about the only trick needed with TSX's as well.

But then again, I don't have problems with belted cases stretching in front of the belt, either, as some handloaders do.

John, In my limited expiereance I have. I have had two guns shoot e tips well out of 6. I have had one gun shoot GMX's well out of 4. I have had exactly one gun not shoot TSX, LRX or TTSX well out of 12. You do this stuff for a living. I do not and as a result I dont have the desire to fart around with a bullet when another that does the exact same thing doesnt require the same amount of attention.
As for belted case. They all stretch in front of the belt.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/13/18.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is from a friend of mine who was shooting factory ammo.

A 270/130/TTSX shot into a cow elk at 100 yards.
Bullet hit ribs/lung and was found on the opposite hide.
Cow ran 150 yds before dropping.

Expansion reminds me of the old X bullet.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by SU35

[Linked Image]

I recovered a 130gr e tip that looked similar after being fired out of a 270 at 3100 and into a whitetail at fairly long range. I wonder what the muzzle velocity was.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/14/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Are you sure that was a TTSX and not a TSX?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

[Linked Image]

Are you sure that was a TTSX and not a TSX?

I concur......the TTSX should be a boat-tail! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Looks like a boat tail to me.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/16/18.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have not used the TSX on game yet, but have loaded it for my .284 and .375 H&H proving very accurate. I have shot a caribou and recently a cow elk with the TTSX from my .338 WM. Very accurate also. The only problem I have had with the TTSX occurred after I shot the cow elk. I quickly reloaded after the shot and for some reason the cartridge went over the chamber and seemed to get hung up where the receiver and barrel connect. I had to fiddle with it to get it unstuck and when I did the tip was bent sideways. As I told my hunting partner, "I'm glad it wasn't a bear coming in fast when that happened." While a good bullet, that may have changed my mind to ever use them on dangerous game. While it may never happen again and was probably some problem with the rifle once a person loses faith in something it is hard to get it back. I have no problem using them otherwise. The rifle may not be used for it either.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 35, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.