Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
BWalker,

I've rarely had to tweak the seating depth of either E-Tips or GMX's to get them to shoot, but always start in the same place recommended by Barnes, .05 inch off the lands. Have had to tweak TSX's just as often. But whatever.

Numerous people attempted to explain to you how to prevent belted cases from stretching on the other thread, something that many handloaders learn back in Reloading 201. But apparently you missed that part, and now are far beyond remedial reloading.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
BWalker, went to the reloading room and got several samples. The bullet pictured, doesn’t appear to be a “true” boat-tail....but doesn’t appear to be a flatbase either. Not sure, what the heck it is!

Top to bottom: .375 - 250 TTSX. .338 - 225 TTSX. .270 - 140 TSX BT. .375 - 270 TSX FB

[Linked Image]

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
BWalker,

I've rarely had to tweak the seating depth of either E-Tips or GMX's to get them to shoot, but always start in the same place recommended by Barnes, .05 inch off the lands. Have had to tweak TSX's just as often. But whatever.

Numerous people attempted to explain to you how to prevent belted cases from stretching on the other thread, something that many handloaders learn back in Reloading 201. But apparently you missed that part, and now are far beyond remedial reloading.

I also start at .050" off the lands and have rarely had to tweak a Barnes TSX or TTSX further. Honestly, given time constraints I would rather move on than try more than a few combinations. Im sure you can get both Etips and GMX to shoot perfectly with minimal work, but that just hasnt been my luck.

And numerous people are parroting what they have read over the years, but this has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/16/18.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This was a TTSX for certain.

I can also tell you for certain that depending on the copper stock Barnes buys to make their bullets you can end up with inconsistent results.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Memtb, you don't have a clue.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SU35
Memtb, you don't have a clue.

Thank you for your courteous response! I never stated that I could not be incorrect, merely that it didn’t appear to be a boattail....as the rifling marks went “almost” to the base. On your “I know for certain” remark.....I suppose that you’ve done “exhaustive” Brinell Hardness tests, on numerous lots of Barnes Bullets to verify your synopsis! You are likely correct....but “certain”, is a pretty strong testimony! I humbly recognize your superior intellect! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/17/18.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In regards to the different copper lots.
My information comes from a Handloader- Dave Scovill article in which he he received first hand information from Barnes.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
As I stated, you were likely correct! And Dave is highly respected. As for the boattail or seeming apparent lack thereof....the comment was based on the rifling marks very near the end of the bullet. Barnes has experimented with various bullet shapes (ogive, etc.), designs, and degrees of annealing since the conception of the original X bullet. Hence, my comment “ Not sure, what the heck it is”! Perhaps a different design of the 130 TTSX.....again “just” a guess. I have no recently produced 130 TTSX’s, nor intimate knowledge of the design changes (if any) concerning the .270 - 130 grain TTSX . Merely judging, from my small quantity of Barnes X bullets manufactured since the early ‘90’s... it didn’t resemble any of my boattails, nor exactly like a flatbase. It did however, more closely resemble my flatbase bullets. memtb

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thank you for correcting me.

The factory cartridges were bought just some months ago.

Last edited by SU35; 11/17/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If it was factory ammo, Barnes might have made the bullet to different specifications. I recovered a 160gr 7mm TSX bullet from a bull moose that I shot with Federal factory ammo a few years ago. The TSX had a boatail. Barnes doesnt make a 160gr 7mm boatail TSX. Not as a component bullet anyway.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
BWalker,

and now are far beyond remedial reloading.

Where do I sign up?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Kindly review the Barnes factory ammo offerings in 7mm Remington Magnum. The 160 gr TSX is a boattail bullet catalog #21529. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I confirmed that both boxes of Barnes factory loaded 7mm Remington Magnum 160 gr TSX in my ammo cabinet are indeed marked BT. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,106
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.