Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Which would you select, which is more accurate? Im leaning towards a mesa on price and a little more weight which i like. Caliber eill most likey be a 6.5 or possibly 308 win.

BP-B6

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you like the weight of the Mesa, go that route. It's probably an overall easier to shoot weight. If you are looking for a true flyweight go with the Fieldcraft. Definitely 2 of the better built factory guns available.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Esox357
Which would you select, which is more accurate? Im leaning towards a mesa on price and a little more weight which i like. Caliber eill most likey be a 6.5 or possibly 308 win.

Are you shooting factory ammo or rolling your own?

Do you prefer a closed/tight pistol grip or a more open grip?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve only seen a cou0le Mesa rifles and neither impressed me at all. I’ve only seen one fieldcraft and it’s mine. It shoots lights out...consistently. Don’t let the light weight fool you, I’m not a great shot, but I can consistently shoot that rifle WELL below moa every single time I go shoot it. I think it’s stock ergos and it just fits my shooting style beautifully. Good luck whatever direction you choose

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ill be reloading for it.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Pard has a Mesa 6.5 CM and likes it and tried to get me to go that route - also was pushing Bergara. His Mesa felt a bit heavy and clunky and the Fieldcraft pushed more buttons for me so went that route and have no regrets.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by d500lnn
I’ve only seen a cou0le Mesa rifles and neither impressed me at all. I’ve only seen one fieldcraft and it’s mine. It shoots lights out...consistently. Don’t let the light weight fool you, I’m not a great shot, but I can consistently shoot that rifle WELL below moa every single time I go shoot it. I think it’s stock ergos and it just fits my shooting style beautifully. Good luck whatever direction you choose

What didn't impress you about it ? Its almost 1/2 the price of the fieldcraft

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Oldelkchunt,

You are an Amazingly STUPID Fhuqk. Where are the $800 Mesa's? Then feel free to wax eloquent on botched twist rates,trite COAL and every other mechanical facet of The Rifle...which are well beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Hint. Congratulations?!?

Twist,throat geometry and COAL are THE heartbeat of every rifle and the Mesa is a heavy concession in all regards.

Bless your heart for trying.

Laffin'!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Boxer

Oldelkchunt,

You are an Amazingly STUPID Fhuqk. Where are the $800 Mesa's? Then feel free to wax eloquent on botched twist rates,trite COAL and every other mechanical facet of The Rifle...which are well beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Hint. Congratulations?!?

Twist,throat geometry and COAL are THE heartbeat of every rifle and the Mesa is a heavy concession in all regards.

Bless your heart for trying.

Laffin'!

I got mine for 999 NEW Shorty , and yes it is heavier.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ammoman16
I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you like the weight of the Mesa, go that route. It's probably an overall easier to shoot weight. If you are looking for a true flyweight go with the Fieldcraft. Definitely 2 of the better built factory guns available.

And if you're a Lefty, the choice becomes very easy.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ill be reloading for it.

Fieldcraft.

As stated above; twist rate, throat geometry, and COAL is the heartbeat of the rifle. The FC does this in spades. However, the Mesa does have the 1-8" twist (as does the FC) in the 6.5CM.

I prefer the more open grip of the Mesa vs. the closed grip on the FC, but that's the only knock I can put on the FC and it's a personal thing.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Why they are even compared is beyond me. One is a true lightweight rifle the other is a mid range rifle. I think the fieldcraft should be compared to a NULA since there is nothing out there in its weight class for those that like lightweight rifles.

Twist rate, throat geometry and COAL blah blah blah. How does one beat a rifle that shoots as well as my Tikka 06 and sometimes better with 18 dollar a box Winchester Deer Season ammo? WIth the simply massive amount of factory ammo out there for that cartridge it would take a lunatic with lots of time on their hands to load for it. That will be one cartidge along with a 06 that I would not bother loading for.

If the FC had bottom metal which would weigh a massive 2-3 ounces at most it would be a great lightweight. I don't like a ADL no matter who makes it and I do not like the huge gap on the side of the bolt for allowing dirt and debris to get in the magazine which cannot be cleaned unless the rifle is disassembled. Of course I don't like fluted bolts either that do the same thing.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Which would you select, which is more accurate? Im leaning towards a mesa on price and a little more weight which i like. Caliber eill most likey be a 6.5 or possibly 308 in.
................................If you go on youtube and type in "Christensen Mesa Reviews",,, look specifically for a 13:49 video. His test Mesa is chambered in the Creed. He tore that rifle down and examined every aspect and was very impressed.

He shows many targets and most if not all were under 1/2 moa. I think you will enjoy it. A very informative review on the Mesa that I came across today.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Look for,,,,, Long Range Only,,,, on the capture page..............A 13:50 video

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fieldcraft.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks big squeeze. Ill check it out. Im going to hit the gunstore and check them both out. Tempted to build but dont want to take a chance onva gunsmith around here.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks big squeeze. Ill check it out. Im going to hit the gunstore and check them both out. Tempted to build but dont want to take a chance onva gunsmith around here.
.........................U r welcome.......Yep! Check em both out for feel, balance and shouldering.

I wouldn't mess with a custom build by a gunsmith unless maybe I were shooting competitively at extended long ranges. A few makers offer from their factory semi-customs and higher end custom rifles....Browning, Weatherby, Christensen, Fierce, Barrett, Cooper, to name a few.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

Sorry I just revisited this post. Didn’t even remember commenting on it. First of all the poor fella that had it burnt up 2 boxes of ammo going through their “break in” cycle to validate their “accuracy” guarantee. Bad thing is he spent more time cleaning and shooting than actually worrying about taking his shot. In the end, the rifle didn’t meet their guarantee and he may still be trying. I think he got a “great deal” on that rifle at just north of a grand. Aside from all the items mentioned by boxer and stud duck...even though I think any production rifle made twist same 1:8...they gotta get something right. As for the quality of the Mesa vs. fc....no comparison. The stock on the Mesa is horrible and the cheesy looking recoil pad does little for aesthetics. The fit and finish isn’t even the same race. This is just my opinion....I’d rather spend a few more hundred on a FC. Unfortunately for me, I paid a good bit more because I just wanted to support my local guy/buddy. Anyhow, I don’t plan on parting with the FC as it shoots lights out, every time. I look forward o working up a load for it, but it’s not top priority as it spits 143 eld x better than most....

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Stock on the Mesa is Carbon and Fiberglass, it is a little heavier then most but it is a solid stock. The Recoil Pad is a Sims Labs . Mine is easily one of the more accurate rifles I have played with. It is boring accuracy. If I have one complaint it is the Logo on the floorplate . Whole rifle is built in house , not a lot not to like. If you want a real lightweight not the rifle to own.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I believe you can use rem 700 stocks on the Mesa.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.