Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The finger was never on the trigger after an AD, it's universal.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
This is a terrible thing, but for those who won't have a round chambered while hunting do you do the same thing with your shotguns while hunting?

Same question regarding those who carry a handgun while hunting, or hunt with a handgun.

Regards,

Tom
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by riverdog
We all know the rules...

Tough lesson.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by riverdog
If the 4 Rules are followed it is impossible to accidentally shoot someone.

^

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Can't fix stupid.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by smokepole
Yeah, the difference is, this is a person, a man with a family, and a friend who will have to live with this.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ in spades

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very sad, no doubt. A possibly similar fatal accident occurred last Saturday morning on Missouri's opening day of firearms deer season. This happened near a small town in NE MO, about 3/4 mile down the road from my farm where I hunt. Guys were inside their hunting cabin and evidently just getting up at 4am and getting ready for opening morning and the landowner accidentally shot his friend in the chest and the victim died instantly. No details released yet on how it actually happened and you shouldn't have a loaded rifle in your cabin but again, with appropriate muzzle control this too, could have been prevented....

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Remington Model 700?

With a detachable mag? Could be the Walmart Special 780 or whatever it is.

4 rules notwithstanding, chambering a round in the parking lot is just plain stupid.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are aftermarket kits for those that convert them to a detachable mag.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Broke one of the cardinal rules of safe firearms......Always point the muzzle in a safe direction. When a round is in the chamber has nothing to do with this or any other act of negligence.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
When a round is in the chamber has nothing to do with this or any other act of negligence.

Sure it does because people are human and people make mistakes. "The rules" are redundant and in a fatal incident almost always multiple rules are broken. Without even getting into the hot/cold chamber debate when hunting, one of the "rules" more people should pay attention to is, don't load your rifle when you're not hunting and there's no reason to have a round in the chamber. Like before legal shooting hours, in or around a vehicle, and so on.

Sure, you can say that if he'd kept the muzzle pointed in a safe direction nothing bad would've happened. But you can say the same about not loading the rifle until there's a reason to.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Remington had a problem with guns firing without touching/pulling the trigger. Google it.
One young kid went to prison for killing his brother. Later released when the
Problem was discovered.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My nephew rode around all hunting season Oct to Jan 1 with a loaded round in the chamber. End of hunting season, uncased his rifle in the house, shot a hole through the wall, killing a 72" big screen TV.

Person in the next town was practicing cycling loaded ammo through the rifle in preparation for deer season. Rifle went off shooting a 30 cal bullet though the length of her house.

One of these persons was a deputy, the second was a former combat marine.

We know better, then we don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by WAM
Check his and widows cell phone records....

Pathetic.
Perhaps... Stranger things have happened. Guess I have been watching too many Law & Order reruns.
I investigated hunting and boating accidents for 30 years. I always considered the "accident" may not have been accidental at all. Almost all accident investigations involved sorting out the lies that were told by the participants.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
When a round is in the chamber has nothing to do with this or any other act of negligence.

Sure it does because people are human and people make mistakes. "The rules" are redundant and in a fatal incident almost always multiple rules are broken. Without even getting into the hot/cold chamber debate when hunting, one of the "rules" more people should pay attention to is, don't load your rifle when you're not hunting and there's no reason to have a round in the chamber. Like before legal shooting hours, in or around a vehicle, and so on.

Sure, you can say that if he'd kept the muzzle pointed in a safe direction nothing bad would've happened. But you can say the same about not loading the rifle until there's a reason to.

Well said, Smoke.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by abbydog
Remington had a problem with guns firing without touching/pulling the trigger. Google it.
One young kid went to prison for killing his brother. Later released when the
Problem was discovered.

Remington has a problem with being the most popular rifle on the continent and originally having an imminently adjustable trigger........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Taking your firearms for a walk works just fine in some terrain and for some species and hunting styles, at other times, you need to have a firearm that is ready to shoot on an instant. Debating whether or not you should hunt hot or cold is too situational to be anything but foolishness. If you follow the cardinal rules of firearm safety, it doesn't matter if you hunt hot or cold. Negligent discharges that result it deaths along with any number of other fatal hunting accidents are 100% the result of breaking one or more of the cardinal rules.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I hope it was not intentional.

I'm sorry but my mind generally assumes the worse in these situations. Especially two friends, and the dead one has a wife.

I just cannot fathom how anyone can be so stupid, so sloppy, so distracted, to not have awareness of where the muzzle of his rifle is pointing, while loading.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If I'm hunting with someone else, I insist we both carry cold chamber, or I'm not hunting with them.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I guess if I can’t trust someone to carry a loaded weapon while hunting or load before going hunting, how can I trust them to load and chamber a round when we make contact with game or get to the place where we decide it is safe to load? Is it too much to expect someone to be able to load and carry a firearm without accidental discharge?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 16 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 648 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.