Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
https://www.skyhinews.com/news/auth...s-in-last-weeks-fatal-shooting-incident/

This is a terrible story from where I live. Reportedly the hunters were in a parking area. One was loading his rifle. I'm told it was a bolt action .270 Winchester (brand unknown) with detachable magazine. The hunter reportedly inserted the magazine, then closed the bolt, and the rifle fired when the bolt closed. He said his finger was not inside the trigger guard. His friend was standing about 30 feet away, facing away, and was shot in the left back/chest. The rifle has been sent to be analyzed by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to see if it will fire when the bolt is closed, without pressure on the trigger. We all know however that keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction would have prevented this death. We all know the rules...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very sad.

And recently a man driving his vehicle was shot when his dog in the back seat discharged a loaded gun in the back seat.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never point the weapon at something you don't want to destroy. Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Treat every gun as if it is loaded.

Another reason to hunt with the weapon cold and the bolt closed on an empty chamber. I've typically always hunted with a hot chamber and safety on, but I am starting to rethink my position.

Regards,

Tom
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I never hunt with a hot chamber, why some insist on it is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I never chamber a round while walking in or out of my hunting area. I insist anyone with me do the same. Walking around in the brush with a loaded chamber is also a recipe for disaster. Sadly the shot can’t be called back.😔

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Didn't want to restart the hot vs. cold carry debate...but it seems clear that the same accident could have happened anytime this man chambered a round. Waiting until one sees game to chamber a round won't prevent an accident if one doesn't keep the rifle pointed in a safe direction and doesn't keep the finger off of the trigger until on target an ready to shoot. Hearing about this shooting led me to review and reflect on my own safety practices. Humans are fallible. I think that scrupulous adherence to the 4 Rules is without doubt the way to prevent accidents, whether we choose to carry with a round in the chamber or not. If the 4 Rules are followed it is impossible to accidentally shoot someone.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Quite a few 'accidental' shootings while hunting in MT this year - Hunting Accidents

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by riverdog
https://www.skyhinews.com/news/auth...s-in-last-weeks-fatal-shooting-incident/

This is a terrible story from where I live. Reportedly the hunters were in a parking area. One was loading his rifle. I'm told it was a bolt action .270 Winchester (brand unknown) with detachable magazine. The hunter reportedly inserted the magazine, then closed the bolt, and the rifle fired when the bolt closed. He said his finger was not inside the trigger guard. His friend was standing about 30 feet away, facing away, and was shot in the left back/chest. The rifle has been sent to be analyzed by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to see if it will fire when the bolt is closed, without pressure on the trigger. We all know however that keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction would have prevented this death. We all know the rules...

So, he shot his buddy 30ft away in the back. Accident, no. Negligent, maybe. Maybe something else.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree, very sad, I cannot imagine the pain this will cause.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Check his and widows cell phone records....

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not good for anyone

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Very sad, all way around. Thanks for heads up riverdog. Just down the road from the ranch.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remington Model 700?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Terribly sad news. Prayers on the way

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WAM

Pathetic.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This is a terrible thing, but for those who won't have a round chambered while hunting do you do the same thing with your shotguns while hunting?

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by WAM

Pathetic.

Perhaps... Stranger things have happened. Guess I have been watching too many Law & Order reruns.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, the difference is, this is a person, a man with a family, and a friend who will have to live with this.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I talked to a long time officer who is involved in the investigation. Like most in his field he is naturally suspicious and assumes the worst. The Sheriff’s Office conducted a homicide investigation and they are still analyzing evidence but there is no indication that this was intentional.

Last edited by riverdog; 11/18/18.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Shot in back 30 feet away, angle of rifle, etc. leads me to believe the perp was the most reckless firearm handler around or worse. Negligent homicide immediately comes to mind. No such thing as an “accident “ like this. Unintentional yes, accidental no. I feel sorry for the families involved.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

590 members (257 mag, 270cowboy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 69 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,295
Posts18,448,991
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.