Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Does anyone have any familiarity with this breed? Thanks

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I have one. Lots of info here- https://www.smcna.org/ and there are a few Facebook pages.
Also have a gsp, hunts just as hard but actually has an off switch. Dove, ducks, quail, blood trailing, etc just seems to come so natural that it's amazing. Can't say enough how impressed I am with a dog I bought on a whim. Definitely not a breed to be kenneled, though.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Z, I'll check it out.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
It's one of the versatile breeds I've looked at but not owned yet. I've run across a couple dozen of them through my years of NAVHDA association and have had the pleasure of hunting over several of those. The website listed above is a good one to start with and then contact breeders/members with questions. Contacting NAVHDA judges would also be a resource as they may look at the breed differently and be a little more objective on some lines within the breed.

Depending on what you are looking for, an SM might be a good choice.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Absolutely love the breed, buddy from Switzerland has one, I’ll have one someday. Very smart, critters, Markus uses his for grouse and waterfowl, great all round breed

[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been around a few, and of course I hunt and breed the Dutch version of the SM (which, is of course, bigger and better... wink ). Seriously, if you mixed two litters of them, you'd never get them sorted out again. In the early days of my breed (50's), small specimens were sent down to the Muensterlander ring to compete. But I digress.....

Seriously: smart, intense dogs, very oriented on the hunter, results oriented. Likely to overheat in early upland hunts, burr magnet, may or may not swim naturally. The ones I've been around (European) DID have the off switch, but depends if they are bred with competition in mind, or not.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Seen some run at NAVHDA events and hunted over a couple that belonged to a complete tool bag. If it wouldn’t of meant jail, I’d of shoot the fat SOB and happily taken his dogs.

Kinda a small setter meets a gsp.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have hunted extensively with three of them. Two were no good at all, one showed and still shows a lot of promise. I would not take a chance on one. YMMV.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a breed I'd like but if I had one don't think I could resist calling him Cheesy. Expect I'd get bitten for that and rightfully so. laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
And there is also the Large Munsterlander. I have decades of experience with the LM, have been around/watched a number of SMs. If questions about the LM, let me know.... and there are US and Canadian breed clubs for LM info too.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
What is the average difference in size between the two versions?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Size is actually one of the least important differences between the two. The SM is a Springer sized dog with a shorter range, the LM is the dark brown version of the Deutsch Langhaar (German Long haired Pointer), which are much more of a large field dog.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Size is actually one of the least important differences between the two. The SM is a Springer sized dog with a shorter range, the LM is the dark brown version of the Deutsch Langhaar (German Long haired Pointer), which are much more of a large field dog.

Actually, the Large Munsterlander is Black and White (the German Longhair is the brown and white one). The LM does not generally range farther than the SM, but they are larger in size. Read about them here: www.largemunsterlander.org/ and the SM here: www.smcna.org/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by munsterlander
Originally Posted by Dutch
[quote=wilkeshunter]What is the average difference in size between the two versions?

Actually, the Large Munsterlander is Black and White (the German Longhair is the brown and white one). The LM does not generally range farther than the SM, but they are larger in size. Read about them here: www.largemunsterlander.org/ and the SM here: www.smcna.org/

Thanks for correcting the brain fart. Yes, the Langhaar is the brown and white one, the LM is the black and white.

Of the ones I've seen work, the LM were faster and "longer" than the SM. I'll admit to having only seen a handful of LM's work.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,422
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.