Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
c86man3 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm interested in buying a side by side shotgun (preferably with double triggers). This will be for grouse and pheasant hunting a couple times per year. Is there a make and model that is considered just a good all around shotgun - but not crazy fancy? Like the remington 870 of side by side shotguns?

Thanks!

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
An old Stevens 311 or Savage Fox model B. Can usually find one of the Stevens for 400 - 500.00 in good shape. A couple hundred more for a Savage Fox. Both are good sturdy field guns with modern stock dimesions. If you can find one of the old Sears J.C. Higgins 101.7 side by sides they're an even better deal. They're just a Stevens 311 relabeled for Sears. Can usually pick them up cheaper than a 311 and they've got a real walnut stock and fore end as apposed to the walnut stained hardwood furniture on the Stevens

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Savage 311 type is probably the closest one can get to an 870 in a SxS as they are inexpensive, common, relatively rugged and simple to repair. Their negatives are clunkiness and most often being found in Mod/Full- at least in this region. I've used one in 16 ga for my sporting clays league the last two years with little problem.

The next step up will run at least double the Savage and more like triple or more. These would be various Spanish guns, Japanese guns like the SKB, some German/Belgian/French guns (especially guild guns), and American guns like Winchester, Ithaca, LeFever, and Parker. These will cost more as mentioned, may be in a lesser condition, parts could be an issue due to age or uniqueness, and they might be stocked differently due to a different way of shooting if one is looking at an older gun. I've owned a couple of German SxS as well as an Ithaca and a Parker. I did not care for how they fit and the cost of a new stock was prohibitive to me so they went down the road.

The next step will be over a grand and often well over. They will all be decent and one will have to decide for themselves if the cost justifies the use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
^^ What he said. get a 311 in 12, 16, or 20 and don't look back.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
To me those Savage guns handle like a heavy 2X4. I would be looking for an Ugartechea. Get an older one imported by the American Import Company for about $500-$700. They will have a third lug. An Uggie will feel like a wand compared to a Savage.

Here is one like I am talking about. A little high but well worth it to me.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...uge-2-3-4-39-double.cfm?gun_id=101029308

One of these models would be nice as well.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...arker-hale-12-guage.cfm?gun_id=101129109

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 11/17/18.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Either one of those above two Ugartechea. for the long term win.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, I am thinking of getting another double or o/u or both... I have looked at the Caesar G.on the web.. But the field models only come with 28 " barrels and I wanted 30

Another friend suggested the English Army /Navy guns.. I would like to go somewhere I could handle some of the shotguns.. That is important to me.. Been down the Beretta Browning trial.. Don't care to make that trip again.. Maybe I should look at the older Parkers an Fox guns.. What do you think???

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How are the CZ's?
For the money?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
How are the CZ's?
For the money?

I have a 20 ga Sharptail that I love. Seems well built and handles nice. I think I paid a little over $900. Good luck, Dave

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Look for an SKB 200E.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by c86man3
I'm interested in buying a side by side shotgun (preferably with double triggers). This will be for grouse and pheasant hunting a couple times per year. Is there a make and model that is considered just a good all around shotgun - but not crazy fancy? Like the remington 870 of side by side shotguns?

Thanks!

Budget?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I looked for 3+ years off and on for a light, double triggered, 16, mostly looking at Simson and Sauer. I kind of lucked into this one on gunbroker a few months back. 5# 15 ounces of non 2x4ish wand. If I said the price I’d look like a liar.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cheesy; 11/18/18.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I looked for 3+ years off and on for a light, double triggered, 16, mostly looking at Simson and Sauer. I kind of lucked into this one on gunbroker a few months back. 5# 15 ounces of non 2x4ish wand. If I said the price I’d look like a liar.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's very nice.I would definitely look for a nice used gun of Spanish,German,Belgium, make over a Savege. To me the Savage is a serviceable hunting gun,but I would rather shoot squirrels or rabbits with one than quail. There are some real bargains if one is patient. I bought a nice Merkel model 8 recently that should have been around $2000 for only $650.

Here are a few resources for the OP. other than the normal,Gun broker, or Cabela's,or Guns International,Guns America.
http://gun.home.cyberverse.com/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beautiful gun Cheesy. There are incredible bargains to be had with the Simsons. You got yourself a great one!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Stevens 311's never seemed that heavy or ill handling to me. I have one in 16 gauge choked IC/M {actually a J.C Higgins 101} that I bet I shot 1000 rabbits from in front of my beagles with. It's definitely lighter than my 12 gauge 28" 870. Never had a bit of trouble with it in the 20 some years I've owned it and I shoot it well.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The 311s are like an 870- inexpensive, common, and serviceable in all aspects. They aren't an exquisite handling gun but neither is an 870. I would put the Baikal guns in with the Savage for cost and durability but they place further behind in handling and fit. They are hard to find around here but one does see one now and then.

There are other SxS guns I think are "better" but they come with a higher price. That is why I made a separate category for them. A person looking at a utility gun is often under a price constraint which is why they are asking in regard to best quality for the lowest price. A "Uggie" would fit in the second category nicely under Spanish guns and is a large step up in all aspects from a Savage.

As for CZ SxS, that is still a question. They are made by Huglu who has had a checkered reputation. Over all, they seem better built than in the past but that was a low bar to clear. I hear many more favorable opinions of the CZ versions but there are still a fair number of legitimate complaints considering their numbers. I know several owning CZs with between them with 3-4 guns having issues. All have been sent back to CZ for repairs with all but one being sold immediately afterward. That one still has intermittent light primer hits and I feel it is a headspace issue as it is only occasionally and everything else has been ruled out. There is a sentimental reason to keep it which is why the owner lives with the problem. For the price, I would go with many of the used guns over a CZ at this point. I just can't get myself to trust them enough.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
battue, I am thinking of getting another double or o/u or both... I have looked at the Caesar G.on the web.. But the field models only come with 28 " barrels and I wanted 30

Another friend suggested the English Army /Navy guns.. I would like to go somewhere I could handle some of the shotguns.. That is important to me.. Been down the Beretta Browning trial.. Don't care to make that trip again.. Maybe I should look at the older Parkers an Fox guns.. What do you think???

Hazen....

Have given your question a lot of thought, but not sure I will be of much help. I see SxS as extremely individualistic. One that I think is fantastic, another goes ahhhg, no big deal. I really like Parkers as long as they are on a smaller frame. Never been a fan of the Fox until I saw some of the restored ones on the Upland Journal Forum. There are more than a few over there that know their SxS. The forum owner is a dork, but many who post there are astute when it comes to the uplands and SxS shotguns. Would be good place to visit and bring up some old threads.

Then again it depends on what you want to spend. Parkers, Fox and Merkel are all good. I really like some of the Merkels. Field Grade who is one of ours has a beauty. Then there are the Parker Reproductions. I have one that I really like which is a 20/16 two barrel set. I shot more than a little game with it and finally had the stock refinished. They seem on the small side compared to the originals, but are exact copies. One problem for you may be their LOP which is short. Another exception would be their case hardening. It is not the real deal and will wear of rather easily with not all that much use. However, guns international has had some for sale that were Tom Skeuse's personal guns that have a longer LOP. Tom Skeuse is the fellow behind White Flyer clay targets and the one who had the Parker Reproductions built. Most of his had stellar wood.

You said you have been down the Beretta trail, but have you seen this one? It also can be had with a pistol grip. Looks nice from here and so far I have resisted the temptation to go and handle one.

http://www.beretta.com/en/486-parallelo/

Not much help, but a nice SxS that one likes is never a bad choice.

Last edited by battue; 11/18/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, thank you for your time and effort.. I will look this one over...

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
B. this looks great.. I would like to handle one .. Thanks..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For that kind of money you’d think they’d give you both triggers.....😉

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,178 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,234
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.