Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Willicd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Got him this morning with my 4" gp100 with 180gr cast and wc820. First shot was at 75yds and I center punched his shoulder. I expected him to fold at the shot but he ran off with an obviously broken shoulder. I gave it a few minutes And took up the trail expecting to find him piled up a short distance later. To my surprise, when I created a ridge he was bedded in a draw about 50yds from the shot. He was still very much alive and bolted as soon As he saw me! I let him get out of sight and made a big loop to get out in front of the direction he was headed. Slowly working my way back up the creek where he had gone, I heard him bump again. I gave it a few minutes and inched forward. I finally spotted him bedded just off the creek bed and worked into position for the finisher. The shot was about 65 yds and I placed the bullet well behind the right shoulder to angle into the vitals. At the shot he reared up out of his bed and fell straight over backwards. That one had done the trick. On the skinning rack I found that my first shot had in fact center punched the shoulder, but thats where to good news ends! After penetrating the shoulder blade, the bullet turned almost straight down and went into the brisket without exiting. IT NEVER PENETRATED INTO THE CHEST CAVITY! certainly not what I expected and it was an utter disappointment. On the bright side, the finished shot went through a couple feet of deer in a straight line but it too did not exit. Both bullets we're recovered under the hide. I have killed a ton of game with my .357's in the past but I am loosing faith. I believe I will start carrying my gp100 44spl....[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by Willicd; 11/17/18.
GB1

W
Willicd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Not sure how I got the pics to attach last time?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Partner I went through that whole process 45 years ago. Of course this was in the days when the 357 was thought to be at its best with 125 grain bullets and I learned a hard lesson on a white-tail at about the same distance you shot yours. I went to 44 and 45 after that never look back. I'm not knocking the 357 but you can't argue with a bigger deeper hole.

Glad you got that muley. Kudos for hanging in there until it was finished.

Last edited by SargeMO; 11/17/18.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great job. A handgun deer is a darn good feat to accomplish.
Congrats.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
far out

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice. I agree that a larger caliber would probably be better, I switched to mainly the .44 Special but have used a 45 Colt on a couple. With either caliber, bullets usually plow straight ahead.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never killed a deer with a handgun, but that's a dandy buck right there.....Good job!

Regards,

Tom
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm glad you stuck it out and tagged him - good job!
In the future, I would recommend that you take "bow hunting" shots. In my opinion, whacking shoulders just wastes meat.

W
Willicd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by dla
In the future, I would recommend that you take "bow hunting" shots. In my opinion, whacking shoulders just wastes meat.

I respect your opinion, however, I have bowhunted with selfbows for many years and shot placement is entirely dependent on the weapon! I believe in breaking down the shoulders with a gun since you get the running gear and the vitals....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome

And a180 hardcast from a 357 ain’t gonna waste any meat wherever you hit them

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Terrific hunt, and effort.

Congrats on the good shooting.

Looks like he likes to have his picture taken LOL.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice deer.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Congrats on your buck. Very nice, especially with the GP100.

Terminal ballistics are interesting. I would have thought those 180s would sail on through. Do you know what kind of velocity they were starting at?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am surprised as well. 180's are a good bullet. Should have seriously penetrated. Have you shot others with this round or is this the first? How did the others perform?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every Whitetail not Muley my FIL ever DRT'd with a .357 was a few spine shots just south of the head ( As much as I hate the SOB since I was 16 years old he can shoot). I always carry a .44 Mag 3" S&W sidearm myself . Nice buck and nice shooting.

Last edited by k20350; 11/17/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty buck, congratulations. Good job on the follow up!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Willicd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Congrats on your buck. Very nice, especially with the GP100.

Terminal ballistics are interesting. I would have thought those 180s would sail on through. Do you know what kind of velocity they were starting at?

I don't believe I have ever chronoed these but they are being pushed as hard as I can in the 4" barrel.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Willicd
Originally Posted by dla

I respect your opinion, however, I have bowhunted with selfbows for many years and shot placement is entirely dependent on the weapon! I believe in breaking down the shoulders with a gun since you get the running gear and the vitals....

And I respectfully disagree.

Even when hunting with a rifle, bowhunting shots are the best - by far. They kill quickly and ruin less meat.
But back to handguns, you are using a low powered hole poker. Better by far to poke a hole through both lungs than to try to break down the running gear. If you had double-lunged him you would've found him bled out likely within 50yds and you could eat the shoulders.

I kill with my bow. I can kill farther with my rifle. I aim at the same spot. Both the bullet and the broadhead make a mess of the same vitals. Rifle shot critters drop faster than arrow hit ones, in my experience. But neither go very far.

I think breaking shoulders should be applied to bitey-scratchy game.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
That's a beautiful buck Willicd, I'm wondering if the bullet was a roundnose or a flatpoint.

Roundnose solid bullets can sometimes turn after impact but I don't remember having a wide flat nose or long flat nose turn.

Congrats!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
When I was on a five day elk hunt in the Colorado Rockies I had several of those stand and stare at me from within fifty yards, like they were posing for me. It was like they knew I didn't have any tags for them.

Same thing happened in Idaho when I only had Elk tags, but that time it was bull moose posing for me within easy range.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.