Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
saskfox Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Wild Boar are fairly new here and there is an open season on them. I know nothing about them other than they are nocturnal. The area of the province they are in is very heavy bush they come out at night to feed and back into the heavy stuff during the day. I don't know of anyone who has got one but I've heard there good eating and would like to get one. What hunting methods do you guys use. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Bait them, trap them, trap works when you are asleep, at work, best way.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 11/17/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jacklights...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Feeders, too.

They are very good eating.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don’t worry in a couple years you’ll have enough that they will run out of brush to hide in. I remember as a kid when we didn’t have any pigs around here. Then one farmer saw 4 in his hay pile, I went and shot the first one anybody around my little town had ever killed. In 3-5 years we were overrun. Now my dad’s best friend catches them in back of his barnyard in a trap, he’s killed 43 in the last month.

IC B2

S
saskfox Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks guys. Illegal (very) to shoot at night here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Kill them all!

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Can you run them with dogs? My cousins kill the heck out of them with dogs and knives.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by TheKid
Don’t worry in a couple years you’ll have enough that they will run out of brush to hide in. I remember as a kid when we didn’t have any pigs around here. Then one farmer saw 4 in his hay pile, I went and shot the first one anybody around my little town had ever killed. In 3-5 years we were overrun. Now my dad’s best friend catches them in back of his barnyard in a trap, he’s killed 43 in the last month.

Where is this?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Kill them all!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 11/18/18.
IC B3

S
saskfox Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Nice work hanco!!! I like your idea to use a trap. What works best for bait? Thanks

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Corn.

Still hunting in heavy cover works very well. Unless you are very patient about picking your shots I'd suggest a 20/16/12 bore scattergun with buckshot. #3 works great for me in a 20 ga.
.22 CB shorts work too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by saskfox
Wild Boar are fairly new here and there is an open season on them. I know nothing about them other than they are nocturnal. The area of the province they are in is very heavy bush they come out at night to feed and back into the heavy stuff during the day. I don't know of anyone who has got one but I've heard there good eating and would like to get one. What hunting methods do you guys use. Thanks

How and when did they get there? I would have thought they'd have to go through Montana, and we dont have any...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
saskfox Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
ingwe. I'm guessing about 10 years. There are none in my area the "hot spot" apparently is in the very SE corner of the province. They have been spotted with trail cams in several areas of the province. I have no idea how they got here possibly those Fxxxx game farms. A big one was shot in north central sask. area last year. Dan. I was wondering if still hunting would work. Thanks for recommending the shotgun.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Still hunting works great on feral hogs, use your nose to locate them. You can smell them from a ways downwind.
They do move during the day don't discount that. Hot weather they look for water and mud to wallow in and cool off. Cold weather they pile up to stay warm.
Baiting and game cams will help out if legal.
They have excellent sense of smell but can't see for squat. Have made many stalk in open pasture with the wind right.
Get on them now as they will populate exponentially.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My condolences.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wytex
Still hunting works great on feral hogs, use your nose to locate them. You can smell them from a ways downwind.
They do move during the day don't discount that. Hot weather they look for water and mud to wallow in and cool off. Cold weather they pile up to stay warm.
Baiting and game cams will help out if legal.
They have excellent sense of smell but can't see for squat. Have made many stalk in open pasture with the wind right.
Get on them now as they will populate exponentially.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yowsza^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Corn

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Don't know about Saskatchewan but in Alberta they've apparently been here for close to 30 years, escaping from game farms in the 90's. Still few and far between as far as I can tell, the ones claiming that there are lots and they are doing damage are the same ones that claim hunting them is pointless, so won't provide many details as to location...believe they are a government sponsored organization as well, and naturally will need more funding for research and trapping. I don't argue that they couldn't become more populated and be a problem, but I don't think Alberta and Saskatchewan are like Texas either. Brutal winters and tons of predators seem to have a way of keeping things in check.

S
saskfox Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the help guys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,326 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.