-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's been a while since I've been on the Fire, so I apologize if this has been discussed before.

I'm looking to buy a new tent and stove. Probably going to go with the SO Silvertip and I am very interested in their Cub stove. This little stove seems too good to be true, but hopefully I'm wrong!
Just curious if anyone has any experience with this particular stove and how well it worked for them.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
can't help, but I already have a Silvertip w/ a stove jack (single occupancy with a stove) and the Cub is what I'm looking as well so will stay tuned

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I can comment on the Silvertip itself though smile

It's a really solid shelter- it has a good wind shaving posture and a ton of tieouts if the weather calls for it. One thing I would highly recommend is putting guy lines on all the tieout points- this allows you to raise the peak and gives you a lot of additional space and better breathablility. You can always stake one side (or all) down to the ground if needed

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m keeping my eye out for a new Ti stove, and the Cub looks like a really good one. Interested if anyone has experience.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I looked at that stove,but then started to figure how much you would have to cut the wood down to fit in 6x6x9 box.Although I Have a little bigger tent,I settled on the Kifaru medium sized stainless steel box stove. With either one though,those roll up stove pipes are a dickens to get rolled out to use and then just as hard to roll it back up.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I found the roll up stovepipe a pain in the azz the first time out. After it got burned in, it took on a memory, and nearly rolls itself.

What I did on the first burn was to flip the pipe after the bottom got a good blue color to it, and burn the other end. It sets a good memory all the way up that way.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have an EdT Ti stove and once you roll it once or twice it’s very easy.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have one, it is a bit of a pain to get the wood broken down small enough, but in a SO Silvertip it heats the shelter up quickly and the stove weighs right at 2lbs packed up with a 6ft stovepipe. I bought it to heat the shelter up in the morning and at night, it does that brilliantly. You only need small sticks that you can break down without any tools to get the shelter quite hot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ thanks smile

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
With the small Ti stoves, start them using small sticks. Once they burn through and you have a hot bed of coals, put in as large a piece of wood you can reasonably fit. Allow it to start burning then close the damper. You get a relatively long, slow burn that adds heat to the tent without getting too hot and it will last much longer than using smaller sticks.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by texag10
I have one, it is a bit of a pain to get the wood broken down small enough, but in a SO Silvertip it heats the shelter up quickly and the stove weighs right at 2lbs packed up with a 6ft stovepipe. I bought it to heat the shelter up in the morning and at night, it does that brilliantly. You only need small sticks that you can break down without any tools to get the shelter quite hot.

Thank you!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.