Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Winchester listed and referred to M71’s as the “Model 71 Special’ or the ‘Model 71 Rifle’. The term Deluxe was never used....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Savage_99
When I started out deer and bear hunting in 1953 and with my own hand loads I looked at those Win. levers however they lacked scopes and I wanted a scope to see the 3" minimum antler on a Vt. buck.

The 99 Savage can easily mount a rifle scope. That was my choice for a woods rifle and a good one.

Those Win 71's can't.

I may own a deluxe 348 Winchester 71 and yes its a nice rifle, but I have to agree the Savage 99 or the Browning BLR levers are what I prefer. both are more accurate and you can mount a scope on these two easier too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I’m wanting a 71 bad, and reading this thread definitely hasn’t helped to cure the want any. Thanks a lot guys!!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
If you have a properly bedded Winchester 71 you might be surprised how well they shoot. Mine shoots as well as I can with aperture sights which is about 1.5 MOA with tuned loads. Fed an un-tuned load and that can quickly turn into 3MOA. I get ever so slightly worse as range opens up, (probably 58 year old eyes syndrome). With 200 Flextips and H414 I can get 6" groups at 300 yards which will put caribou on the table. I have a Savage 99 in 284 with a 2-7X scope and it will go 1MOA with the correct loads. The MOA count stays constant and I can put 3 into 3" at 300 yards with the scope set at 7X. Fed un-tuned loads it can go into 2 or 2.5MOA.

However, handling and ergonomics goes to the 71 and so do style points. The balance and ergonomics have allowed me to take quick but precise shots that took game that I might have had trouble taking with another rifle. This has imbued my own 71 with special memories that comes from success on dangerous rivers in deep wilderness with a trusted friend. When I scare up a bear the fast handling and solid 8 pounds of John M Browning ingenuity paired with an effective cartridge gives me immense confidence. So far the bears have not tested that confidence.

I like a lot of rifles including my 99 but the 71 is my last rifle to go. It's hard to get brass and when loaded heavy the brass will not last that long, it's really not suitable for a scope without ruining it's best qualities and yet....it's just a beautiful, classic and effective firearm and well worth the trouble. It's my dedicated moose rifle and has provided my family and I with many a steak!

When my eyes can no longer see the front sight I have a Turnbull mount for a Fastfire II, and the dot sight will help me use this rifle into my 70's. After that it will hang on the wall or be gifted to my son who hopefully can take more moose with it for his family. It will have even more mojo by then. In 2052 my rifle will turn 100. It still might be the best thing in the woods! Not bad!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good points on the Model 71's inherent virtues as a hunting rifle that can handle anything to include bears-in North America. As Alaskans have learned and experienced,
what you have in your hands at the time becomes your "bear rifle". A serious charging grizzly may be another matter, but the bonded core bullets now available
that were not available 50 years ago bring the .348 WCF into another class of rifle. With fast repeat shots, it challenges even the 338 Winchester.

I have owned a Model 71 with a Lyman Alaskan in a Griffin and Howe QD side mount. Wonderful rig, but it added another 1.5 pounds to the total weight of the rifle. So-it does
slow the inherent qualities of the M-71. A good aperture iron sight will handle most shooting at the M-71's effective ranges.

The Savage 99s are trim slick packages, but they are not as reliably fast as the 1886-Model 71 rifles by Winchester.

Rifles are personal, and a lot of judgment on rifle and cartridge reflect game taken with the confidence and satisfaction of years of successful hunts. So it is with the Winchester Model 71.
In the deep Alaskan bush, my Model 71s tend to be chambered in the 348 Ackley Improved or the wonderful 450 Alaskan. Elmer Keith influenced Harold Johnson in
the development of this cartridge. He used both the later 86 and Model 71 for this heavy wildcat. They are about the best rifle in serious bear country-where a downed moose may
attract a big bear. Then the moose hunt turns into a bear hunt -fast.

Last edited by 450Fuller; 10/17/18.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Which is more useful, the 348 ackley improved or the 450 Alaskan?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Ive wanted a 71 for awhile. Got my eye on one at the moment, trying to procure funds lol. I wanted a do all levergun to handle deer to elk to hogs to black bear. Something I can sight in 2-3" high at 100 and be good to 200 pretty easy. From my reading it sounds like a 348 should handle that nicely. Ive got 100 pieces of new Winchester brass so I figure im ahead of the game. Im just trying to enjoy these older iron sight guns like sharps and leverguns until my eyes wont let me anymore. I have a marlin guide gun that shoots great, but it just doesn't have that warm and fuzzy feeling sitting in the deerstand like my sharps or old win 94 does. I don't bowhunt, so hunting the old way with old style guns is my challenge. When I connect it makes it all the more sweeter

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
no warm fuzzy feeling here with my Winchester special/deluxe 348 yes like I said its a dang nice rifle,i do like Savage 99 284, my 45-70 guide rifle is neat too but when in comes to kill`n stuff and have`n a powerful lever rifle at camp give me my Browning BLR 300 Win. Mag. won`t matter if that bear is close or 500 yards away a 300 Win.Mag. will get the job done ! I do wish Browning would chamber a Browning BLR in a 338 Win. Mag. S.S. now that would be a real nasty Bear rifle !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well heck pete53, I'll trade ya a BLR for that crappy ol' 71. Might save ya from bein' et by a bear.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by tmitch
Well heck pete53, I'll trade ya a BLR for that crappy ol' 71. Might save ya from bein' et by a bear.

NOPE I`LL KEEP THAT 348 SPECIAL / DELUXE its one of the cleanest I have ever seen . but I will use my 300 win. mag BLR when I camp.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by pete53
no warm fuzzy feeling here with my Winchester special/deluxe 348 yes like I said its a dang nice rifle,i do like Savage 99 284, my 45-70 guide rifle is neat too but when in comes to kill`n stuff and have`n a powerful lever rifle at camp give me my Browning BLR 300 Win. Mag. won`t matter if that bear is close or 500 yards away a 300 Win.Mag. will get the job done ! I do wish Browning would chamber a Browning BLR in a 338 Win. Mag. S.S. now that would be a real nasty Bear rifle !

would the 325 wsm scratch that itch?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If I decide to sell mine in the coming years I will post on the fire first.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Which is more useful, the 348 ackley improved or the 450 Alaskan?

How about the best of both?:

A scout scoped Browning 1895 carbine, chambered in a 41 caliber "whelenesque" wildcat? High BC, 350 grain A-frames sptizers at 2400 fps. That's 50,000+ psi territory. It makes easy work of a 300 yd shot through 30 mph winds on caribou, and hits hard like a 458 cal on bears up close. Just another one of them thar Alaskan concoctions hodge-podged together in Alaska:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ng-1895-scout-rifle-project#Post13233780

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cricker:

To answer your question, I think the 348 Ackley loaded with warm 250-270 gr bullets or Woodleigh/Swift/Alaska Bullet works bullets really
is a lever action 35 Whelen-which is hard to beat. Keep in mind that standard 348 WCF ammo can be shot in the Ackley chamber all day long.
The 450 Alaskan is nice to have along the SE AK brown bear trails or
fishing along bear streams. It is comforting to have along in any bear country.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O

Anyone know what you lose by firing 348 WCF in a 348 Ackley barrel. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You might lose 75-100 FPS, which will insure a bit more penetration-depending on the bullets used and the individual rifle.
With premium bullets like Swift-Woodleigh-Hawk, that's not a problem. You might have to slightly adjust Lyman
peep sight 56 or 66, or the original 98A Winchester bolt peep. Most of the moose and deer I have shot with the 348 were right at 90-100 yards
using the same stalk hunting that works for elk. This type of hunting is what the Model 71 in 348 WCF was designed for.
Keep in mind that the 348 cartridge is closer to the 35 Whelen than the parent 30-06 because of bullet diameter.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mogwai
Originally Posted by pete53

would the 325 wsm scratch that itch?

325 wsm would be is a great BLR lever but I really want a 338 win. mag in a BLR but for now my 300 win mag will work. thanks for the offer,Pete53

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by abbydog
If I decide to sell mine in the coming years I will post on the fire first.

I believe that 71 wants to move somewhere warm for it's next chapter in life. I have a nice place here in Georgia it can stay. lol

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.