Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Wards Westernfield Mauser (Heym) in 30-06 that I think would be a good candidate for either a 338-06 or 35 Whelen. Is the 338-06 A-Square the same as the 338-06 I have in my reloading manuals?
JES doesn't have an email address on his site and doesn't give any shipping directions, Does he want the entire rifle or just the barreled action? Curious about anyone's business with him.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I usually send the whole rifle to him. Stock and all so he can test fire it after doing the work. His shipping address is there on the site as well. I will put a note in the box telling him exactly what I want along with POC, address and phone number to call if he has any questions. I will usually send him a check Separately as well. Usually within 7-14 days my rifle is back in my hands.

I’m not positive on the 338-06 vs the A-Square but I think they are essentially identical.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He told me to just send the barreled action. I did and it all worked out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, and you have to call him. He's old school. And even though he only had my barreled action he still test fired it and told me the results.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Don't know if it's a consideration, but the Heym Mauser is an intermediate length. The mag box is opened up to accomodate 30-06 length rounds, but long, heavy bullets might be an issue.

I've had Jes do several re-bores and I always just sent the barreled action. All were done quickly and shot great.

Last edited by weagle; 11/18/18.
IC B2

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
another question, The bolt won't close on my reloads. Does fine with factory. Would what JES does likely fix this?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you full length resizing?

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
yep. Shot them in several other 06's fine. Not this one. Factory is fine.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by blairvt
another question, The bolt won't close on my reloads. Does fine with factory. Would what JES does likely fix this?

Sounds like a head space issue. If full length re-sizing doesn't fix it then I would consider doing a chamber cast to see how the dimensions differ. If they are off a chamber re-bore might be in order. This is something you may want to consider as you might want a shorter custom throat due to cartridge OAL consideratons if you want to use a longer bullet.
This can be done with out altering the chamber but if you want loads that could be used in other rifles might be worth doing.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d send it to JES. He will sort out the headspace issue when he rebores it. He will test fire it with ammo and make sure it works. I would speak with him about the seating depth you would like to use. I’ve seen him short throat a couple of Whelens.

Semper Fi
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Can’t go wrong with JES. He rebored a Savage lightweight hunter for me from 7-08 to.338 Federal and it’s a true shooter/thumper rifle. Very happy with all aspects. I sent him the complete rifle minus the scope.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Interesting stuff. What’s the general cost of a rebore?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes,you have to call him.He probably wont answer,but he will call you back.Just talk to him about what you want and also put it in writing when you send a check.I sent a Remington 700 to him.All he wanted was the barreled action and he did test fire it.I had him rebore my 30-06 to a 338-06.I went with 5-groove and that was $250 for the work including return shipping.I was really please with the work and it shoots really well.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shinbone

$225 for 3 groove as of August.

Last edited by moosemike; 11/18/18.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by shinbone

$225 for 3 groove as of August.

For 225 bucks it's kind of a cool option to try something out as well. That's how I ended up with the 375 Ackley... Now, I kinda like it and after shooting it some, I really like it. A bunch less money than a rebarrel and I was able to keep the old P64 looking pretty original.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by blairvt

I had the same problem with one of my rifles. Called RCBS and they asked me to send my dies and 5 fired cases. A couple weeks later, I received a custom die set at no charge. My reloads fit the rifle fine after that.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the same problem with a set of RCBS dies with one of my rifles.Worked fine in a couple of other rifles,but not the one with a tight chamber.Changed the dies and the problem was gone,From what I understand,they start with a reamer that is slightly oversized and use it until it wears down and reamers to the undersized demention.If you have a tight rifle chamber,your die might not be sizing the case down enough to chamber easily.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I had JES do a M70 into a 35Whelen/AI he got the chamber right but the throat was short so I had to send it back to him and pay shipping both ways but he did lengthen the throat at no charge. It thinks it's a sniper rifle when I do my part. He doesn't lap the barrel so expect it to eat cooper and fowl till you get it smoothed out.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
ok fellas all the rebore sounds interesting but I got a question. if I send JES a 270 win to rebore to 280 rem can he redo the caliber stamp/engraving on the barrel to denote caliber the rifle is now?
thanks,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by whitearrow
ok fellas all the rebore sounds interesting but I got a question. if I send JES a 270 win to rebore to 280 rem can he redo the caliber stamp/engraving on the barrel to denote caliber the rifle is now?
thanks,
Big Ed

1) you can't rebore from 270 to 280

2) I don't think he does anything much smaller than 8mm for rebores

3) XXX's stamped over current and the new caliber is stamped.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 39 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.