Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great thread thanks for posting

Just like many of our ancestors of us white boys

Those people took tough to another level than what most of us can envision.

My wife’s family is Athabaskan, Indian not Eskimo.

Marveled at how lil discipline was used on kids when first getting introduced.

And then it hit me, nature was the discipline tool for her grandparents and great grandparents, survival odds were slim, if you didn’t listen to your elders, they were even slimmer.

My how things have changed in a couple of generations.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
BP-B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
The people that I knew that still live traditionally today who eat the traditional Inupiaq or Athabaskan diet are eating more healthy than 95% of most Americans. If your read, Always Hungry by Dr. Ludwig you will see scientific evidence that their diet was much more healthy on a molecular level than the traditional european diet. Life expectancies have dropped tremendously with the coming of wonderbread and pepsi.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I liked his sled, some observations:

Looks to be a 12-14 foot

The guy had steel runners!

His tug lines on his wheel dogs are really short

He had a single dog in swing. I thought maybe a fighter? BUT.....judging by the shape of the head, and the dog's movements and behavior, it's a female in heat.

I'd take that whole team and sled, over any of the newest snow machines today.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have seen the full series of the Netsilik movies several times. Used to get them out of UAF, IIRC. We showed them to the kids and adults alike in Pt Hope. One of the adults even tried hunting seals that way, and was successful. After two, he quit. "Too much work. It's cold, too!"

I have in my temporary possession, Charlie Sheldon's Eskimo Scout rifle, given him by Muktuk Marsten. Charlie - uh - "customized" it, hunted with it for years, after the war, his widow gave it to a friend. I'm supposed to restore it to somewhat original form when I get to it. Replacement barrel, sights, and stock, for starters. I better hurry, as the owner is older than I am!

I was living in Pt Hope during the move. The last occupied buildings / folks out of the old site were the school and teachers. Students were brought the mile or so to school at the old site for a year or two in a Rolligan (giant tired tundra truck) due to blizzard and polar bear hazard.

Dr.Jake, who practiced BIA dentistry out of Kotzebue for all the villages around for years said "The farther up river you get, the poorer the people get, and the better their teeth get". This was due to relative availability of sugar and other western foods.

As for the elder respect thing, back in the day one had to be tough, observant, with a good memory and integration facility, and no small amount of just plain luck just to live long enough to become an elder, who were the repositories of wisdom, learning, practices, and tradition. That, and with the parents working full time on subsistence, the older, less physically able grandparents often were majorily the children's upbringing. There is still great (at least nominally) elder respect among those folks.

Now days, with integration into western culture, with it's less demanding survival mode, any damned fool can become an "elder". And most do.

Just look around the Campfire....... smile

I took exactly one overnight hunting/camping trip out of Pt Hope with white-man's food, then I took to carrying (also as emergenciy ration) frozen tomcod and a 4 inch square of Bowhead muktuk. When I could get it, which was usually. That's enough caloric value for a couple days if necessary. A half inch square warms you right up if one gets a little chilly, too. The tomcod was just filler.

Muktuk takes a little getting used to, with the biggest downside (besides availability for a white guy) is that 30 minutes after one eats it, one's breath could stop a charging Cape buffalo in it's tracks at 10 paces. Pretty sure, anyway. Cape buffalo are fairly rare in the Arctic.

Last edited by las; 11/20/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"The guy had steel runners!"

Are you speaking of the Netsilik movie? IIRC, in one scene, he made a sled from materials at hand- a few driftwood sticks or caribou leg bones, arctic char, caribou hide, mud, and water.

He wrapped these big fish end to end in a wet caribou hide and froze them for runners, added mud and ice to the bottoms for wear (and renewable) , attached the runners together with a few driftwood sticks. Or maybe it was caribou leg bones, I disremember that part. Darned ingenious. And one could eat much of it later!

All over the beach areas in Pt Hope one could (can still?) find small 2-4 inch long sections of bone, about an inch to an inch and a half wide - likely caribou rib - with holes drilled in them apparently to use on the bottom of sled runners. My guess, anyway. Seemed too plentiful to be arrow scrapers or straighteners, and that's all I could think of.

I think the Netsilik also used a fan shape dog team, rather than "in-line", at least part of the time. My recollections of those movies are 45 years old, so may not be entirely accurate.

Last edited by las; 11/20/18.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice, Las. Havent thought about Jake J. in a long time, he was also quite the Sheep guide, too.

The bone runners are found all over the place, at least along the Kotzebue areas,too. I have boxes of them and ''wedges'' that were always taken along in a bag for the sled, and the Umiaq's, to re-tighten soaked and loose Seal thong ties and ''tighten up'' their ride.. The woods all rotten away, but the bones remain.
The most preferrable shods for runners were young whale rib, as they had very little 'perosity' ( ya, a welding term, but the little holes in the material) and good lengths of both curved and straight material could be cut from them. I have found a few made from Caribou Antler and some from ivory.
Steel runners are noted by Hobsen, one of Charlie Browers partners, in the late 1800's after locals here figured out that barrel hoops made excellent runners. Those guys back then would make the most of everything.

Things really changed in the villages after WW2, when an airstrip and post office made the world available to everyone. Some cash and a Sears catalog and guy could have anything.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Very good!

Enjoying this thread greatly.

I am MAGA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
I liked his sled, some observations:

Looks to be a 12-14 foot

The guy had steel runners!

His tug lines on his wheel dogs are really short

He had a single dog in swing. I thought maybe a fighter? BUT.....judging by the shape of the head, and the dog's movements and behavior, it's a female in heat.

I'd take that whole team and sled, over any of the newest snow machines today.

Oh [bleep] you about to go full native on us... soon you will be doing those Bristol bay native corporation radio ads..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of similar interest: Google up "happy people" and "Siberia" for renderings of a tough life.

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good ones, 1 minute.

Happy People is a most excellent show, and are the Siaberian ChukChi Reindeer Herders and Walrus Hunters.

This guy has ''Skills'' hunting at a Seals breathing hole. Around here called an 'Allu' and are noticeable untill theres lots of snow on the Ocean ice like Muskrat Pushups are on the river.

Then they get down with the sharp knifes and hooks butchering, not a drop of blood on their hands or clothes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZLVgAP5Cps

Last edited by Caribou; 11/22/18.

''Folks that can actually fhuqking shoot,KNOW that everything will work. Folks who don't,contrive reasons why NOTHING does work.''
Big Stick
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Dr. Jake has a book out on his guiding/hunting experiences. A friend loaned it to me and now I can't find it. I need to, or buy another to return it. I hate loaning a book out and not getting it back.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They later were to reappear on the movie ''Never Cry Wolf''

enjoy the movie, seen it several times

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by las
Dr. Jake has a book out on his guiding/hunting experiences. A friend loaned it to me and now I can't find it. I need to, or buy another to return it. I hate loaning a book out and not getting it back.

Indeed!!! Jake's got 4 books out there.......Ida never thunk!!! Now to get some...

https://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Tales...mp;psc=1&refRID=2YEJRJAKTW94X0KKY54Q

amazon.com/Alaska-Hunting-Earthworms-Elephants-Jacobson

amazon.com/Alaska-Flying-Jake-Jacobson

amazon.com/Alaska-Bears-Jake-Jacobson

Thanks for the heads up, Im an avid collector of books regarding the locals in motion laugh

Last edited by Caribou; 11/22/18.

Big Stick
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by las

I need to check my books. Did you loan it to me, if so I will send all 3 or 4 back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Butch, you got my weak mind to thinking, I had to look back at our PMs from last December. I sent you the "Reader's Guide to Alaska" as a year or so loan. But, we can do a renewal on it, let's say one year from ...... NOW. (we both will probably forget about it again in 3 months) laugh
getting old, and forgetful.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Keep it coming fellows!

I am learing a lot.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by kid0917
Hey Butch, you got my weak mind to thinking, I had to look back at our PMs from last December. I sent you the "Reader's Guide to Alaska" as a year or so loan. But, we can do a renewal on it, let's say one year from ...... NOW. (we both will probably forget about it again in 3 months) laugh
getting old, and forgetful.

My mind is terrible, but I found the PM. Seems my Son and your acquaintances worked for Jay Sekulow and the ACLJ

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by las

I need to check my books. Did you loan it to me, if so I will send all 3 or 4 back.

No, but you can send them anyway..

I am almost trustworthy. smile

Last edited by las; 11/23/18.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by las

I remember now. 3 came from Art and I need to look for the one from kid 0917. I did locate Art's books.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by las

I remember now. 3 came from Art and I need to look for the one from kid 0917. I did locate Art's books.

I am done with those books; feel free to keep or move them on as you wish.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 71 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.