Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Same but different?

Like when I talk to people at car shows. Be standing next to a turquoise 64 ford galaxie, random guy walks up... "Yeah, my uncle had one just like this. Except his was green... and his was a 4 door.... and a 62...... and a 6 cylinder.... and a dodge...."

Well, the Firestones look pretty much like those BFGs. Maybe compound is a bit different, I don't know. But when the Firestones are siped they are a go anyway tire no matter what the season.

The sipeing is what I was getting at. grin

Something clever here.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by cwh2

I had a set of BFG ATKO2's on my current '11 F250 PSD, ran them ~40Kmi. The NItto Exo's are better in snow whether it's deep, packed hard/icy, or slushy. They pick up/throw fewer rocks and so far are more resistant to slicing/chunking than were the BFG KO2's. The Exo's have better traction on rocks/gravel than did the BFG KO2. The Exo's are louder on pavement and ride a bit rougher due to I assume the stiffer side-walls.

I have no affiliation with Nitto or selling any tires. It's pretty rare that something impresses me to the degree that those Exo's did last week.

Horse, do you run those Exo's in the summer as well? I'm in the market for a new set of summer tires and those sound like they have everything I want.

No, I don't. I run a much milder AT for the summer. My summertime driving is mainly pulling my boat down paved highways, I just need something that holds air and doesn't hydroplane when it rains.

Well, I ordered 4 of those Nitto's off amazon, and they claim they will be delivered today. So... hope they don't suck. Grin.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

I had a set of BFG ATKO2's on my current '11 F250 PSD, ran them ~40Kmi. The NItto Exo's are better in snow whether it's deep, packed hard/icy, or slushy. They pick up/throw fewer rocks and so far are more resistant to slicing/chunking than were the BFG KO2's. The Exo's have better traction on rocks/gravel than did the BFG KO2. The Exo's are louder on pavement and ride a bit rougher due to I assume the stiffer side-walls.

I have no affiliation with Nitto or selling any tires. It's pretty rare that something impresses me to the degree that those Exo's did last week.

Horse, do you run those Exo's in the summer as well? I'm in the market for a new set of summer tires and those sound like they have everything I want.

No, I don't. I run a much milder AT for the summer. My summertime driving is mainly pulling my boat down paved highways, I just need something that holds air and doesn't hydroplane when it rains.

Well, I ordered 4 of those Nitto's off amazon, and they claim they will be delivered today. So... hope they don't suck. Grin.

Did you get them on yet? I'll be taking mine off this week and going back to my "summer tires".

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Quite a few kudos for Duratracs but they don't come in the size I like. Stock on my pickup is 265-70R17. I run 245-75R17. They're the same diameter and load rating but 2" narrower. They handle better, especially in snow, and leave a lot more room for chains. They do have them in 70's but they're shorter which messes with the speedometer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Quite a few kudos for Duratracs but they don't come in the size I like. Stock on my pickup is 265-70R17. I run 245-75R17. They're the same diameter and load rating but 2" narrower. They handle better, especially in snow, and leave a lot more room for chains. They do have them in 70's but they're shorter which messes with the speedometer.

People running them on1/2tn pickups or some sort of SUV love them, as did I on my last 1/2tn. I don't personally know anyone who's purchased a 2nd set of Duratracs for a 3/4-1tn diesel. Side-walls are squishy and on a heavy pickup they wear pretty fast.

Current set of Nitto Exo's are right at 20KMi. Still look great, and are wearing evenly. I'll measure them when I get home. They got me through some pretty hairy schtuff while ice-fishing last winter.

Pulled our 38' 9K# bumper hitch travel trailer over 300Mi in a 20-30MPH gusty crosswind yesterday. No EQ hitch, just dropped it on the 2 5/8" ball and hit the road. Set the cruise @ 70MPH and let the truck do it's thing. Truck was very predictable and felt firmly planted. Couple of wind-breaks caught me unaware but for the most part I saw them coming and could plan ahead w/necessary correction.

Still my opinion that they're the best set of tires I've owned on a 3/4tn diesel.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

People running them on1/2tn pickups or some sort of SUV love them, as did I on my last 1/2tn. I don't personally know anyone who's purchased a 2nd set of Duratracs for a 3/4-1tn diesel. Side-walls are squishy and on a heavy pickup they wear pretty fast.

Current set of Nitto Exo's are right at 20KMi. Still look great, and are wearing evenly. I'll measure them when I get home. They got me through some pretty hairy schtuff while ice-fishing last winter.

Pulled our 38' 9K# bumper hitch travel trailer over 300Mi in a 20-30MPH gusty crosswind yesterday. No EQ hitch, just dropped it on the 2 5/8" ball and hit the road. Set the cruise @ 70MPH and let the truck do it's thing. Truck was very predictable and felt firmly planted. Couple of wind-breaks caught me unaware but for the most part I saw them coming and could plan ahead w/necessary correction.

Still my opinion that they're the best set of tires I've owned on a 3/4tn diesel.

I can guarantee I won't be buying a second set of Duratracs for my 1 ton.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Did you get them on yet? I'll be taking mine off this week and going back to my "summer tires".

Yes. They seem great so far. Haven't towed with them, but they are 100x better than the same size/load range Coopers that I run in winter. They toss some rocks, but I guess I'm used to that. Might have to get some real mud flaps to complete the "old man truck" look I've been going for.

That seemed wrong the last time you said it. 20mm = .787", not 2". I ran 245s for a while on my 08 dodge, and I agree... they do handle better, all things being equal. I'd like to see more load range E tires offered in 245 and 255 widths.

I would not put duratracks on a diesel ever again, and I predict you will hate them if you do. I'm speaking from experience on an 04 Dodge 2500 diesel.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Right at 20K on my Exo's now. 14/32 left on the fronts, 12/32 and 13/32 left on the 2 rears (single-drive w/ELD). The VAST majority of that mileage is running empty (not towing) and highway speeds. Per the website they start wit 18.4/32. Should get another 20-30K out of them I'd think.

Last edited by horse1; 05/20/19.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I maintained a small fleet of OshKosh and Kenworth and Ford 350's plow trucks for twenty seasons, ski lodge contract. My take away on tires is, sales talk is just talk. If at all possible, observe tires on packed snow at relatively low speed, 20-35 mph, if you see a 'roostertail' of snow cleaning off the tread right behind the rolling tire...you have an effective snow tire. Faster speeds don't count, as centrifugal force cleans the tread. Tread pattern has little to do with actual effective traction. Under inflation can help a marginal tire's effectiveness. Unfortunately, squishy sidewalls and relatively soft tread layer rubber often make the best tire, for snow but not for longevity. In the plowing business, it ain't so much about going as it is stopping. About the first time you take off the top of somebody's speeding little suv with a wing plow that won't go up fast enough, you got yourself a lawsuit. Lesson, tires are cheap.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Yes. They seem great so far. Haven't towed with them, but they are 100x better than the same size/load range Coopers that I run in winter. They toss some rocks, but I guess I'm used to that. Might have to get some real mud flaps to complete the "old man truck" look I've been going for.

That seemed wrong the last time you said it. 20mm = .787", not 2". I ran 245s for a while on my 08 dodge, and I agree... they do handle better, all things being equal. I'd like to see more load range E tires offered in 245 and 255 widths.

I would not put duratracks on a diesel ever again, and I predict you will hate them if you do. I'm speaking from experience on an 04 Dodge 2500 diesel.

My mistake. I was typing ahead of my brain. I meant to say 1", rounded off.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've done that! Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,865 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,047
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.