Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AK416
A Mulletworks #3 is quite a bit trimmer than a Bartlein 2B..

My last one was on a 257Wby with Defiance Rebel and 22oz MPI stock with aluminum ADL TG. I did have Karl do flat spiral fluting but the complete package with 1" shank and 25" finish length weighs 5lb 13oz.

Geez, Mcmillan edge fill stock and Factory barrel has me at 7lbs 12 oz scoped.

BP-B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by AK416
A Mulletworks #3 is quite a bit trimmer than a Bartlein 2B..

My last one was on a 257Wby with Defiance Rebel and 22oz MPI stock with aluminum ADL TG. I did have Karl do flat spiral fluting but the complete package with 1" shank and 25" finish length weighs 5lb 13oz.

Geez, Mcmillan edge fill stock and Factory barrel has me at 7lbs 12 oz scoped.

To be clear, 5lb 13oz unscoped and without rings.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SKane
Kenneth,

There's nothing wrong with going CM on your rifle - particularly if it's going to get cerakoted.
If Bartlein will dupe the contour, chamber/install AND you can drive to deliver/pickup, that's not a bad way to roll.

PacNor and Hart will provide the same service and do so with a SS barrel - but it'll require shipping your rifle.

How about the bore?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Kenneth,

There's nothing wrong with going CM on your rifle - particularly if it's going to get cerakoted.
If Bartlein will dupe the contour, chamber/install AND you can drive to deliver/pickup, that's not a bad way to roll.

PacNor and Hart will provide the same service and do so with a SS barrel - but it'll require shipping your rifle.

Totally agree with Skane here. Bartlein 5R in a 10 twist will do well for you. Haven't had one yet that was a stinker... If it is getting coated, blued, nitrided, it doesn't really matter anyhow. I've never let SS or CM worry me much either way in what I want for contour and end weight.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
Kenneth,

Totally agree with Skane here. Bartlein 5R in a 10 twist will do well for you. Haven't had one yet that was a stinker... If it is getting coated, blued, nitrided, it doesn't really matter anyhow. I've never let SS or CM worry me much either way in what I want for contour and end weight.

I may be becoming a bore with the question, but how about the bore? grin

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mathman
Kenneth,

Oily patch ..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If it was always that easy I wouldn't be concerned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Kenneth,

You are indeed. grin

I'm partial to SS for that reason but can't say it's a deal breaker. 'Twer it mine, I'd do SS but I think Kenneth is looking for some efficiencies in completing the process.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would just ask the Bartlein folks what they recommend. Me I would not go tight bore as it can play tricks with pressure with harder hunting bullets. I like the 5R rifling. Some 308 target rifles are done at 1-11 but for a hunting rifle err on the fast side 1-10 or 1-9. Chrome moly is not as much of an issue as it used to be with Melonite or Ultra Bore Coat for corrosion protection. I believe stainless will hold up longer in regards to throat erosion and it used to be that stainless was more uniform than Chrome moly but that may not be a concern anymore. My main issue would be weight and balance. Even though I'm not a fan I would consider fluting the barrel to improve the balance. If I really wanted to get OCD I would do a gain twist starting at 1-11 and ending up at 1-9 or 9.5. Your rifle order what you want.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ll recontour a stainless blank for you.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This rifle could end up on a few backpack hunts or Drop camp hunts in the Rockies, possibly less than ideal conditions...

Like I said, open to ideas, Nothing set in stone yet.

since nothing is "set in stone"....consider reboring your current barrel to .325 WSM

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I run Dyna or Ultra Bore Coat in all of my rifles so I don't really sweat it too much. SS is ultimately better, but a little tape and my CM tubes have been good.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Do you have a personal attachment to action? Might be cheaper/easier to sell what you have, find a stainless action/barrel and drop it in that edge. Or just punt it all and go with a NIB factory rifle. By the time you rebarrel with CM, put on a coating, pay for shipping, and drop it in an edge you are going to have some serious coin into a CM rifle in an Edge. But if it's a personal attachment thing, I understand that too.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Have lilja, hart, PAC nor or shilen copy your factory contour. All of them minus lilja will chamber it for you too.

Stock inletting is nothing difficult and shouldn't be avoided to get what you want.

If it was mine, I'd go with a 2B Bart, 2 or 3 rock or mullerworks, or a brux. Have it Fluted or cut back the length a bit to make it weigh what you want.

I'd go with a 10 twist for your Bullet choice and resell in mind. I would prefer a 9, but I wouldn't be shooting a 165 in a WSM.

While you're spending the cash, get it Bedded and have a good aftermarket trigger installed unless you have a brand of rifle with a nice factory trigger to adjust.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'm not opposed to shipping.....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vapodog
This rifle could end up on a few backpack hunts or Drop camp hunts in the Rockies, possibly less than ideal conditions...

Like I said, open to ideas, Nothing set in stone yet.

since nothing is "set in stone"....consider reboring your current barrel to .325 WSM

Ok, 'not' reboring is set in stone....

You trying to push me over the edge?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Do you have a personal attachment to action? Might be cheaper/easier to sell what you have, find a stainless action/barrel and drop it in that edge. Or just punt it all and go with a NIB factory rifle. By the time you rebarrel with CM, put on a coating, pay for shipping, and drop it in an edge you are going to have some serious coin into a CM rifle in an Edge. But if it's a personal attachment thing, I understand that too.

Left handed SA Winchester M70...........Yes on the personal attachment.

Already have the stock.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jowens
Have lilja, hart, PAC nor or shilen copy your factory contour. All of them minus lilja will chamber it for you too.

Stock inletting is nothing difficult and shouldn't be avoided to get what you want.

If it was mine, I'd go with a 2B Bart, 2 or 3 rock or mullerworks, or a brux. Have it Fluted or cut back the length a bit to make it weigh what you want.

I'd go with a 10 twist for your Bullet choice and resell in mind. I would prefer a 9, but I wouldn't be shooting a 165 in a WSM.

While you're spending the cash, get it Bedded and have a good aftermarket trigger installed unless you have a brand of rifle with a nice factory trigger to adjust.

What would you be shooting in the .300 wizzem?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, according to Harts website,
They will copy the factory contour, They only do SS it appears,
Install and chamber,
Cerakote,
and bed.

Sounds perfect......One stop shopping....

except, was thinking cut barrel rather than button.......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
786 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 80 invisible), 3,060 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.