Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
So, I went from cut bluegill to hotdogs, then to hotdogs soaked in garlic powder with 1/3 cup of pickle juice. Caught fish on each of these baits with no discernible difference in bite frequency. I've heard they eat anything.

So, yesterday I went and caught a dozen 3" bluegill. Took them home and cut them in half (after I put them to sleep with ice) and put them in a jar of pickle juice with a couple table spoons of my favorite rib rub! Let them soak over night.

Today, at 1300, I tossed one on my rig and threw it into about 8 feet of water about 10 yards from the bank and before I could rig another line, I had my supper! It was only about a 26 inch Channel, but it was evidently in the mood for barbecue!

I'm surprised. The rib rub has a lot of pepper in it. Maybe I should add jalepeno?

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
How big is the body of water? If it’s a small lake or pond they may be hurting for feed and therefore less picky. In a big lake or river system with a healthy baitfish population they can be much more particular. Where I fish you’ll catch %50 less cats on any baitfish that isn’t shad and are basically pissing in the wind using worms, punchbait, hotdogs or anything else.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I'd call it a middle sized man made lake, about 15 acres. But they aren't hurting for food. There are a "brazillian" 3" or larger bluegill in this body. The bluegill are so bad they stocked it with another 500 largemouth this summer. There's shad too. It's a great fishery. I've caught a number of quality channels this summer and a few dinks, not to mention largemouth from 8" to 21" all over the lake. Oddly, I've caught one large mouth on cut bait and one on hotdogs!

Down here near St. Louis, cut bait is used most often on the slower creeks, but in the river most use live bluegill that I've spoken too.

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 10/30/18.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
May have to get a package of hotdogs next time at the grocery. The pond I fish, the cats have shown no interest in 4" minnows.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get the cheapest hot dogs you can find. Cut them into bait chunks, then microwave the chunks for a few seconds; it toughens them up quite a bit.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Caught one other day in 20 acre lake on a Pico Perch. If anyone remembers what that is. Lost another one.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Still got three of them KayWoodie. Back in the 50's and 60's they were dynamite on Lake Belton. powdr

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I know a guy locally that slays channel cats in public lakes with just about any bait, with hot sauce. Hot dogs, shrimp, pepperoni, worms...just about anything, and after the bait is on the hook, he sauces it up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
I'd call it a middle sized man made lake, about 15 acres. But they aren't hurting for food. There are a "brazillian" 3" or larger bluegill in this body. The bluegill are so bad they stocked it with another 500 largemouth this summer. There's shad too. It's a great fishery. I've caught a number of quality channels this summer and a few dinks, not to mention largemouth from 8" to 21" all over the lake. Oddly, I've caught one large mouth on cut bait and one on hotdogs!

Down here near St. Louis, cut bait is used most often on the slower creeks, but in the river most use live bluegill that I've spoken too.

I’m not too far from you at all, if you need someone to help fillet and fry those guys give me a yell. Heck I would even offer to help eat them!

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
You're welcome to come and fish. With winter coming on, I'm not sure how good the cold water bite is going to be, but If I don't have to wear a parka, I'm game.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From one St. Charles resident to another - enjoy the fishing! Sounds like you found a good spot.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was in Denver for a visit with kids. PM me if you'd like to wet a hook and I'll clue you in on the spot...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's generous!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would be great to catch up with a local fire member and if that involves some time around the water - also a bonus. Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone!

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.