Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I’m seeing more of this, and trying to decide if it’s a project I want to start after the season.

Primary use would be hunting. Some bench plinking. And soon, introducing my children to centerfire rifles.

I’m most intrigued by the designs that allow for minimal tools - like the WTO Switchlug.

I’ll hang up and listen to anyone who can share their experience.

O-Ag

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just get a Blaser :-)

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have built a couple on Rem 700's, one of them was a switch barrel/switch bolt rifle which was very versatile as far as changing to any caliber with the appropriate bolt head. Unfortunately after the newness of it wore off I decided that the trouble of switching barrels, having to check zero after switching, etc was more trouble than it was worth, I sold it and just bought another rifle instead.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Biebs
Just get a Blaser :-)

This!
It will actually be less expensive than what it will take to build a switch barrel gun.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Blazer for sure!

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve had a couple built on Rem 700 SS actions. One is a LA with 300 RUM and 338 RUM barrels. Both barrels have the same countour so the switch is simple, as both rifles use the same stock.

The other is more complicated. It’s built on a SA and the barrels are 308 Win and 35-284. The countours are very different so in addition to changing barrels, I also switch stocks.

The change requres a barrel vise and an action wrench. It was an idea that hasn’t worked out to be as practical as I thought and was more appealing when I had it done. I agree that now it’s aesier to just use a different rifle. It works well though, as far as performanc.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
I’m seeing more of this, and trying to decide if it’s a project I want to start after the season.

Primary use would be hunting. Some bench plinking. And soon, introducing my children to centerfire rifles.

I’m most intrigued by the designs that allow for minimal tools - like the WTO Switchlug.

O-Ag

I think it sounds like a fun project, if I shot more I’d think about doing one myself. I’d look at using a Bighorn Origin. Switchlug looks solid, but so does Greg Young’s Bugnut. But with the origin you can get shouldered barrels from places like PVA for similar money. Rear entry action wrench and barrel vise would be all you’d need to swap tubes I think.

My biggest Hangup would be I’d want a lighter contour for hunting, and medium or light varmint for range time. So do you get stock inlet fort the heavier contour and live with excessive gap when running the lighter barrel or use two separate stocks? Chassis for range play on stock for hunting? Separate scopes for each?

Every time I’ve thought about these details I end up concluding it’s cheaper and easier to just buy a Tikka CTR for fun and a t3 lite for hunting (which is what I did)

Last edited by Walter_Sobchak; 11/22/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I built one kinda by accident last year.

Bighorn TL3
McM A5
PTG Stealth
TT Diamond
10x SS MQ
SWFA Rings
Shilen 1-8" Varmint contour in 6 Dasher @ 22"

[Linked Image]

There is a definite conflict for a rifle loony having a set up such as the Bighorn in that its modularity makes doing stupid things rather tempting.

Didn't take longe before I had a Criterion in 20 Practical for varmint shoots.

And not long after that another Shilen in .22br for 88 eld's.

I've had flats milled on all of them and loc-tited bbl nuts and I can change them with a 3/4" end wrench and allen key (action has to come out for scope/bbl nut clearance.)

[Linked Image]

It's a fun project if you like playing with different cartridges or guns in general.

The real benefit is being able to order a new bbl while still burning out the current one.

Last edited by Higbean; 11/22/18.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I can agree with this.

Every time I’ve thought about these details I end up concluding it’s cheaper and easier to just buy a Tikka CTR for fun and a t3 lite for hunting (which is what I did)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Almost all of my 700's are switch barrel guns, however not all have more than one barrel.

It can be problematic checking zeroes all the time that makes it less appealing.

Quick release or picatinny rings in a 2nd scope does lesson the pain.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Seems all would need the zero checked , if their scopes were action mounted.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
It’s easy to do. With all the interest with the Savage where barrels are switched regularly, other bolt guns can do the same. Action wrench, barrel vice, pinned recoil lug, and no headspace gauge needed. Any caliber with the same case head works. Checking zero is required regardless of what make rifle, but done right, you’ll hit paper each time.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Need to look at the options available for Tikka.

Last edited by OutdoorAg; 11/23/18.
Y
Y
I've had a couple over the years and they've all worked well. There are different ways to set them up though and some definitely work better than others.

I've worked a lot with the Savage barrel nut system over the years and at one point had 8 actions and 23 barrels. There was a short and long action for each case head size and then one .473" target action and a .535" target action. I had most of the barrel nuts drilled and tapped for a set screw so that once I had a barrel headspaced I could just lock down the set screw and essentially have a shoulder to headspace off of after pullindg the barrel off. Swapping barrels just involved a barrel nut wrench (notched so that I didn't have to remove the scope) and a port entry action wrench. The scopes (4 different optics) were all mounted in QR rings so that I could swap them back and forth easily. I kept notes about where every barrel was zeroed with the specific optic and they would all be within .5 MOA after swapping scopes and barrels around. It was still necessary to verify zero after a swap but most of these guns were just used for long range "rock hunting" so it was easy to just send a shot into a dirt bank to verify zero.

For a while I had a Jim Borden switch barrel with identical contour 270 RUM, 7mm RUM and 338 Edge barrels fitted to a Borden BRM action in an HS Precision stock. Changing barrels on that one required a barrel vise c-clamped to the bed of my truck and a rear entry action wrench. I had the scope zeroed for the barrel I shot the most often (270 RUM zeroed at 350 yards with 150 Berger) and then just kept track of where the other barrels impacted from that zero. The 338 Edge (300gr OTM) was actually very close to the same zero as the 270 RUM but the 7 RUM (200gr Wildcat bullet) would end up being zeroed much closer to 570 yards. The windage adjustment between the 3 zeros was less than .5 MOA, it was just the elevation that was significantly different. I just entered the zero offset into my ballistics calculator and went from there. The return to zero after swapping barrels was within .25 MOA. Since this was also primarily a LR rock busting rifle that was well within a reasonable margin of error for shooting rocks past 1 mile.

I had an Accuracy International AT in my possession for a brief period of time as well with 308 and 6mm Creedmoor barrels. That one was probably the easiest to change barrels on in the field. The return to zero after swapping barrels was just as accurate as the Borden rifle, I just didn't need to have a barrel vise or action wrench. I just used one optic and kept the turrets zeroed for the barrel that got shot more.

All three systems worked well but I've moved away from the barrel nut system for the most part. I've found that it's just easier to just have one smith do all the barrel work for a specific action. Then I can just send them the action one time to fit the first barrel and get all the measurements off my specific action, and then they can chamber up future barrels for that action without me sending it in every time. The barrel nut system is the least expensive and allows the user to buy and sell barrels with anyone else using the same threads, so that's a nice bonus.

The reality is that I think most people love the idea of a switch barrel setup but usually end up with one barrel that they prefer and end up just leaving it on there most of the time.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Call Rick Steinhour at Extreme Rifleworks. Somewhere in Nebraska now. He makes a sweet switch barrel.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
My problem with the common switch barrel rifles (Savage, Remington, Encore) is, when I get one barrel dialed in, I haven't wanted to mess with it, so I'd start again with another action/stock/scope. Reportedly Blaser does not suffer from this set-up/take-down dilemma. And if I were to add the money spent on my other switch-barrel projects, (...which I won't), Blaser platform doesn't seem so expensive.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
This guy (..whoever he is) seems to have a fair-minded review;

https://gunsmagazine.com/switch-barrel-rifles/

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have done a few.

Lever actions on Marlins and Winchesters both. Most were in 30-30 with a short and a long barrel, but one was done with a 7-30 Waters 24" long barrel and an 16" 30-30. I have 2 take down waiting for work now, but neither one is going to be a "swap-caliber rifle".
I also did one for a man on a Browning M95 in 270 and 35 Whelen one time. Last year I did a swap barrel on a Savage with a 22-250 and a 300 savage.

Several on Mausers. Probably 20 or so. In fact I have one in the works now, with a 9X57 and a 257 Roberts front end. 2 barrels, 2 for-ends, 2 scopes and both reloading dies in the set. The 257 Roberts scope is set up for the standard mounting on the action, and the 9X57 is set up for scout mounting on the barrel. And the 9X57 has an "American twist" in that the barrel uses .358 bullets instead of the German standard .356", so loading ammo is super easy.
I have done them in both standard bolt face and magnums. Combinations have been from 6MM Remington to 9.3X57 and from 264 Win Mag to 338 Win Mag. One I did for a Navada man was a 270 and 35 Whelen. One I did for a Texan customer was a 300H&H and a 375H&H

One rifle that is often overlooked that has shown me it can be quite accurate and strong is the Browning BLR, Take-Down, but I don't know if Browning is offering 2 barrels in 2 calibers from their custom shop or not. Might be worth a call to ask. The BLRs with forward mounted scopes have shown me MOA accuracy quite a few times.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In my experience, I sight my R93 Blaser in prior to departure, clean it thoroughly and then fire a few fouling shots. The rifle gets taken apart, the bolt and scope (Zeiss rail mount) are removed and all is packed in a compact aluminum travel case made by Impact. The rifle case goes in checked baggage and makes several changes of planes before arriving in Africa, including the usual Customs inspections along the way.

Upon arrival at the final destination, the rifle is assembled, zero is rechecked and a hunting we will go.

Never had an issue with shifting zero or any other problems, despite lengthy trips with several changes of planes, the rifle has never failed to perfom as expected.

I have another compact case made by Americase that will hold the Blaser stock/receiver, two scoped barrels and two bolts. Again, very handy, but in my experience not as rugged as the Impact case.

My experiences only; YMMV.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had Gradous build me one with pinned lug and bedding milled out ahead of the lug for a full float switch bbl set-up. I've never taken the bbl off lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 61 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.