Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This past elk season, I switched out my 5.5” R/Redhawk 44mag for a Glock SF G20. I wanted a chest holster that would fit snugly against my torso allowing for my oversized bino harness to ride on top of the holster but still allow me a fast draw of the pistol.

I found the Kenai chest holster made by gunfightersinc perfect in every way for me. The molded composite skin provided secure retention while holstered. I had no slippage or rattle noise from my Glock while holstered - it was hunting quiet! And, with the natural ride of the holster, it put the pistol grip in an easily reachable 10 O’Clock position.

‘I was stoked at how comfortable this holster rig was to wear. I was in it for four days, almost 16 hours a day, without feeling uncomfortable. Awesome product for wilderness protection.

I wished I’d had a pard take a picture with my noc harness on. You can still see from the picture how much pistol grip I had exposed to get a hand on should I need to draw quickly.

I checked everywhere on-line and all sellers were the same price $150 bucks. The G20 and the Kenia holster were my best gear buy of 2018.
😎

[Linked Image]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like the idea of those holsters, but I have never worked with one. Yet.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Nice combo,

What load do you carry?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I rather like that. Sort of 'gizzard carry' as opposed to appendix. I can see its utility for navigating heavy undergrowth, crossing streams etc.

That's a fine head of game, too. Congratulations.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great review - I appreciate it and am happy that you recommend it, since my Kenai holster showed up in the mail yesterday, for my G20. I bought a second clamshell for N frame S&W's, so I figure I can cover all the bases.

I also use a cabelas bino harness - how did your set up work when with binos?

Last edited by tominboise; 11/22/18.

Regards,

Tom
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the Alaskan Guide from Double D custom leather for my G20. Same concept, and a good one. Absolutely the most versatile and comfortable way to carry a large working handgun.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I put HSM Bear Loads in 200 grain that I got my hands on fast...They ran without issue in the G20. I would not recommend this load for grizzly if I could get a hardcast 220 grainier cartridge to function without fail...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Sarge...I was guiding “CFire Member Kingston”, the guy in the middle on his first ever elk hunt. He tagged a very nice 5x5 Roosevelt on the Oregon Coast. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tominboise
Great review - I appreciate it and am happy that you recommend it, since my Kenai holster showed up in the mail yesterday, for my G20. I bought a second clamshell for N frame S&W's, so I figure I can cover all the bases.

I also use a cabelas bino harness - how did your set up work when with binos?

I use a harness bag that my nocs ride inside. This was perfect. I can’t say for certain if there would be an entanglement if your binoculars rode in a strap harness only. Put your Kenai holster on and then your harness and you tell us...Grin 😎

“Molon Labe”
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I made myself a holster to carry my M69 in the same location on my body. Only after going to the trouble did I discover the respective offerings from Kenai and Wasilla. Both are well made, quality items. I like the one I made just fine but if I had to start over I'd just go with the Guide's Choice since it's leather. I can tell you close range deer panic at the sound of a gun coming out of kydex.

IC B3

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I got that rig for my G40 with the red dot sight and it works with my G20 also. Darn fine piece of gear.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I made myself a holster to carry my M69 in the same location on my body. Only after going to the trouble did I discover the respective offerings from Kenai and Wasilla. Both are well made, quality items. I like the one I made just fine but if I had to start over I'd just go with the Guide's Choice since it's leather. I can tell you close range deer panic at the sound of a gun coming out of kydex.

I made me a totally silent chest rig for SA’s out of a camo fleece beanie for that reason smile

The stopper knot retention “button” is totally silent, secure, AND adjustable too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 11/22/18.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
B10, Nice rig and it looks comfortable. Also nice that it can be used by itself.

Here's a bino case/kydex holster combo (holster is attached to the bino case) that my son gave me for use when bowhunting. Haven't tried it yet, so can't comment on how practical/comfortable it is.

[Linked Image]

Paul

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Paul, that set up looks “sweet”. Praise to your boy for giving his dad a solid rig. Post up after you’ve hunted it. Curious minds will want to know your thoughts. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, I guess my pard did snap a picture of my Kenai rig behind my noc harness. Thanks, Kingston 😎

“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by paul105
B10, Nice rig and it looks comfortable. Also nice that it can be used by itself.

Here's a bino case/kydex holster combo (holster is attached to the bino case) that my son gave me for use when bowhunting. Haven't tried it yet, so can't comment on how practical/comfortable it is.

[Linked Image]

Paul

Where'd he find that?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Clever idea Alukban. For the draw does your retention strap go over the hammer or the grip?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
[Linked Image]

Thanks, kingston. Was hoping you.guys had a pic somewhere. That setup looks clean and.comfortable, with the G20 easily accessible.

Which AGC bino harness is that?

I recently picked up an AGC Kodiak CUB.

Down to finding a good holster.for the G40 with rmr.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Clever idea Alukban. For the draw does your retention strap go over the hammer or the grip?

It goes over the back of the top of the grip more because I wanted the revolver deep enough in the thing to swallow up the hammer and thus not poke me at all or catch on anything.

SA’s can be in super deep holsters because their design is such that their grips stick out a lot further from their center of mass - letting the handles stick out of the holster more for easy, full grip access though most of the mass of the gun is secure.

Last edited by alukban; 11/24/18.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
LD, it’s the AGC “Denali” which carries my 10x56 Zeiss BRF perfectly. 😎

Last edited by Beaver10; 11/24/18.

“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent! Thanks!

Sent an email to GFI last night on the Kenai. Liking the looks of that, especially since it looks like your Glock rides comfortably and accessible under the binos.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dirt, it is the most comfortable rig I’ve worn for many hours at a time...Yes,, I could get my G20 into action in a second should a bear think I’m more than eye candy...Also, my knife is almost completed from Godogs that I ripped off your design and handles. 👍🏻😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Dirt, it is the most comfortable rig I’ve worn for many hours at a time...Yes,, I could get my G20 into action in a second should a bear think I’m more than eye candy...Also, my knife is almost completed from Godogs that I ripped off your design and handles. 👍🏻😎

Thanks for the info. Going to try to call them again tomorrow.

Oh, You're gonna be sooo happy with that knife. Hank has his system down. You will not be disappointed.

Everybody that sees mine in person has 2 looks on their face:
First: Wow. That's different.
Next: I really like that!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, Beaver10, was your Kenai chest holder a tight fit for your Glock? I mean really, really tight?

I got one delivered last week for my Sig P220 10mm and really like it, but man, when that pistol "clicks" in, it's in.

So tight that I can't draw it. The first few times drawing it out I literally had to take it off, stand on the harness and pull it out with both hands (picture King Arthur pulling Excalibur from the stone smile ).

I'm hoping it'll break in with some more usage. Just curious if you experienced the same tightness?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Update:

Ordered the Kenai this afternoon. Had spoken to Neil with some final questions a few days ago.

Did you get your ka-nife from Hank yet?

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
LD...Glad you ordered yourself the Kenai Holster...You are gonna like it...Hank just shipped my knife yesterday. He’s been busy slaying Whitetails...Once it arrives, I will post up a picture for you...Let us know what you think of the Kenai rig. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen
Hey, Beaver10, was your Kenai chest holder a tight fit for your Glock? I mean really, really tight?

I got one delivered last week for my Sig P220 10mm and really like it, but man, when that pistol "clicks" in, it's in.

So tight that I can't draw it. The first few times drawing it out I literally had to take it off, stand on the harness and pull it out with both hands (picture King Arthur pulling Excalibur from the stone smile ).

I'm hoping it'll break in with some more usage. Just curious if you experienced the same tightness?

Skeen, Yes, my Kenai was a tight fit. I learned that if the holster is positioned at a 10:00 O-Clock draw, that a “quick, snap pull” will release my G20 with out a problem. It’s made to provide secure retention of your pistol, so you won’t have any drops while moving or bending over doing things required while hunting...Grip and rip it! 😃😎

“Molon Labe”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
788 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,055 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.