Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Theres factors like steel used, caliber and reamer design play alot more to do with barrel life than cut or button.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
A cut rifle barrel last longer? Did you glean that from the "Internet" or can you refer me to a scientific paper on it?

You replied to the OP, but since neither Kenneth or anyone else besides me mention barrel lifeI assume your pissy reply is aimed at me Butch.

I didn’t say I have extensive experience that cut rifles last longer, or scientific evidence they perform better than button rifled blanks. Those claims are what one could gather from reading rifle forums, it’s what “they say”. But that bit of internet “knowledge”, right or wrong wouldn’t influence me too much if I was selecting a blank for a build, I’d most likely go with what my riflesmith of choice recommended.

I only brought it up to suggest it seems there are lots of sources for light contour quality blanks other than said Wisconsin barrel maker that won’t do light SS contours...

Sorry to derail thread Kenneth, good luck finding what you want

I guess I got your goat. Not my intent, just wanting to know why you would say that.
Anyway, Douglas was the only maker that would make a 28" pencil blank for my Ti 280AI.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Them there cut-rifled barrels are ALWAYS more accurate.....another drink of beer....ALWAYS!!

Happy Turkey Day!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kreiger started that stupid crap because they got it in their head that stainless would fail at low temperatures, despite there never having been a case of it happening. Bartlein was started by guys that used to work at Kreiger so they brought that idea over with them. I'm not sure why Brux followed suit, they haven't been around that long.

I've got a Bartlein #2 in 6.5mm, I had to call Frank and plead to get them to make it for me, the first guy I talked to said no. I live in Mississippi and once the temp drops below 30F I'm inside the house. Worrying about how much cold a rifle barrel can take is right up there with what kind of snowmobile to buy on my list of worries.

Rock Creek has been the place to go for a light contour stainless barrel because I think they'll make you any contour. Mullerworks is a cut maker and they probably would too since he works with Rock Creek. Hawk Hill is another cut rifling maker and their website shows they'll make a #2 for calibers up to 6.5mm and a #3 up to 30 cal. Most of the button rifling makers will make any contour in stainless.

I personally think the cold weather thing is an excuse because they don't want to sell light barrels. Heavier barrels are easier to get to shoot well and they want to keep their reputation for accuracy intact. If someone puts a #1 contour on their 300 ultramag and it shoots poorly then it's blasted all over the internet that Kreiger makes crappy barrels and they don't want that.

A while back, I called Boots Obermeyer for one thing and ended up talking with him about a bunch of things. One of them was cold embrittlement of 416R stainless steel barrels. Apparently there were a few cases of barrels failing in extremely cold weather. The post mortem analysis led to some barrel makers decided that they would not produce thin barrels in 416R (most notably Jack Krieger). I would guess it's just risk mitigation. It wasn't even a cut rifled barrel that failed! I sympathize with them...as a barrel maker, you cannot predict in what conditions your barrels will ultimately be used in. I might tell them I live in Hawaii and have no intention of hunting in cold weather, but at some point I might sell the rifle to someone in North Dakota, and the barrel maker gets tagged with the potential failure. Krieger will sell you thin contours in 4140 or whatever CM they're using these days, so I don't think it's a profit margin thing. Obermeyer was the old grandpa of barrel makers, with pretty much everyone doing single point cut rifling tracing a direct lineage back to him; Jack Krieger, Mike Rock, Muller, Geoff Kolbe, so I trust what he says.

Regarding barrel life; cut vs buttoned. Frank White of Compass Lake Engineering provides barrels to shooters in my game, Service Rifle competition. Frank's observation is that the Cut Rifled Kriegers provide about twice the accurate life of the Buttoned barrels in this particular use. To be more specific, the Kriegers he was selling provided double the round life shooting 10 shot (maybe 20 shot) MOA out to 600 yards with 224 heavies than the Douglas buttoned barrels in his and his customer's experiences. When I first became aware of this observation he was selling Kriegers and Douglas. This statement has persisted through different brands of cut and buttoned barrels.

Last edited by ChrisF; 11/22/18.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A cut rifle barrel last longer? Did you glean that from the "Internet" or can you refer me to a scientific paper on it?

You replied to the OP, but since neither Kenneth or anyone else besides me mention barrel lifeI assume your pissy reply is aimed at me Butch.

I didn’t say I have extensive experience that cut rifles last longer, or scientific evidence they perform better than button rifled blanks. Those claims are what one could gather from reading rifle forums, it’s what “they say”. But that bit of internet “knowledge”, right or wrong wouldn’t influence me too much if I was selecting a blank for a build, I’d most likely go with what my riflesmith of choice recommended.

I only brought it up to suggest it seems there are lots of sources for light contour quality blanks other than said Wisconsin barrel maker that won’t do light SS contours...

Sorry to derail thread Kenneth, good luck finding what you want

I guess I got your goat. Not my intent, just wanting to know why you would say that.
Anyway, Douglas was the only maker that would make a 28" pencil blank for my Ti 280AI.

No problem at all sir. Like Kenneth said, open discussion, all in good fun etc. Happy Thanksgiving

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rock Creek #2, stainless.

[Linked Image]

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joel, what type of finish is on there?

Did they copy the factory contour for you?

A Rock creek #2 actually appears to be a true featherweight contour,

If they wouldn't copy at .800 and .600,

their #3 is .815 and .625........Which would not be a problem for me.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Brad

Crow Hunter, I see Accuracy International makes their own cut rifle barrels, or at least they give the impression they make their own.

Have you ever used one? Thoughts?

Brad,
I haven't used one of his barrels. I had him do a M70 with a Brux barrel several years ago. I think he's only set up to make 30 cal barrels and I haven't heard any reports on them. Sorry I don't have more info.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Brad

Crow Hunter, I see Accuracy International makes their own cut rifle barrels, or at least they give the impression they make their own.

Have you ever used one? Thoughts?

Brad,
I haven't used one of his barrels. I had him do a M70 with a Brux barrel several years ago. I think he's only set up to make 30 cal barrels and I haven't heard any reports on them. Sorry I don't have more info.

AI used to spec their barrels through Bartlein.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ChrisF

A while back, I called Boots Obermeyer for one thing and ended up talking with him about a bunch of things. One of them was cold embrittlement of 416R stainless steel barrels. Apparently there were a few cases of barrels failing in extremely cold weather.

Chris,
The only ones I'm aware of were a batch of Sako and Tikka barrels that had some fail and that was traced to bad metallurgy from the steel mill. They happened to be stainless but it was the substandard steel, not the stainless part that was the problem. I'm not a metallurgist or a barrel maker so my expertise on it stops there.

There are tens of thousands of stainless M7 remingtons and M700 mountain rifles with pencil thin barrels running around in cold weather and they're not blowing up. There were also a bunch of stainless M70 featherweights built and they're not blowing up. Hart, douglas, pac-nor, Lilja, etc have made a bunch of skinny stainless barrels and I've yet to hear of one failure in cold weather. Anything can fail if stressed enough but from a layman's perspective the overwhelming evidence from the decades they've been on the market is that skinny stainless barrels in cold weather aren't a problem.

These makers are free to set their own rules and we're free to purchase from someone else who will make what we want. In my admittedly non-expert opinion it's a solution in search of a problem.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Kenneth,

Happy Thanksgiving! Sorry, didn't see your post yet!

It's a Cerakote finish, Graphite Black color.

I ran down and measured, it's about 0.800 6 inches in front of the receiver and 0.620 at the muzzle (24 inches). When I got it I noted it was a smidge bigger than their advertised #2, but it fit the stock well and it shoots damn lights out.

I'm confident they would make a particular contour for you if desired.

I think another cut rifled maker that will make skinny barrels is Peterson Rifle Barrels out of Arizona. No first hand experience with them.

v/r
Joel

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Kreiger started that stupid crap because they got it in their head that stainless would fail at low temperatures, despite there never having been a case of it happening. Bartlein was started by guys that used to work at Kreiger so they brought that idea over with them. I'm not sure why Brux followed suit, they haven't been around that long.

I've got a Bartlein #2 in 6.5mm, I had to call Frank and plead to get them to make it for me, the first guy I talked to said no. I live in Mississippi and once the temp drops below 30F I'm inside the house. Worrying about how much cold a rifle barrel can take is right up there with what kind of snowmobile to buy on my list of worries.

Rock Creek has been the place to go for a light contour stainless barrel because I think they'll make you any contour. Mullerworks is a cut maker and they probably would too since he works with Rock Creek. Hawk Hill is another cut rifling maker and their website shows they'll make a #2 for calibers up to 6.5mm and a #3 up to 30 cal. Most of the button rifling makers will make any contour in stainless.

I personally think the cold weather thing is an excuse because they don't want to sell light barrels. Heavier barrels are easier to get to shoot well and they want to keep their reputation for accuracy intact. If someone puts a #1 contour on their 300 ultramag and it shoots poorly then it's blasted all over the internet that Kreiger makes crappy barrels and they don't want that.

A while back, I called Boots Obermeyer for one thing and ended up talking with him about a bunch of things. One of them was cold embrittlement of 416R stainless steel barrels. Apparently there were a few cases of barrels failing in extremely cold weather. The post mortem analysis led to some barrel makers decided that they would not produce thin barrels in 416R (most notably Jack Krieger). I would guess it's just risk mitigation. It wasn't even a cut rifled barrel that failed! I sympathize with them...as a barrel maker, you cannot predict in what conditions your barrels will ultimately be used in. I might tell them I live in Hawaii and have no intention of hunting in cold weather, but at some point I might sell the rifle to someone in North Dakota, and the barrel maker gets tagged with the potential failure. Krieger will sell you thin contours in 4140 or whatever CM they're using these days, so I don't think it's a profit margin thing. Obermeyer was the old grandpa of barrel makers, with pretty much everyone doing single point cut rifling tracing a direct lineage back to him; Jack Krieger, Mike Rock, Muller, Geoff Kolbe, so I trust what he says.

Regarding barrel life; cut vs buttoned. Frank White of Compass Lake Engineering provides barrels to shooters in my game, Service Rifle competition. Frank's observation is that the Cut Rifled Kriegers provide about twice the accurate life of the Buttoned barrels in this particular use. To be more specific, the Kriegers he was selling provided double the round life shooting 10 shot (maybe 20 shot) MOA out to 600 yards with 224 heavies than the Douglas buttoned barrels in his and his customer's experiences. When I first became aware of this observation he was selling Kriegers and Douglas. This statement has persisted through different brands of cut and buttoned barrels.

Chrisf, what type barrels have produced the winners the last say 3 years at Perry? I know Frank is pretty good, but I know others in his class that disagree.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those claims are what one could gather from reading rifle forums, it’s what “they say”.

Forums say it probably because CR barrel makers say it...

from Bartlein FAQs;

Do cut rifled barrels last longer than button rifled barrels?

'In our opinion and many others both experienced shooters and even people who use ammunition test barrels the answer is yes'.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chrisf, what type barrels have produced the winners the last say 3 years at Perry? I know Frank is pretty good, but I know others in his class that disagree.

Winning at Perry is not the question on the table...and not the same as length of accurate life.

...however, to answer your question; the winning barrel at Perry for the last 10 years have been whatever the AMU is shooting. ...and by all accounts that would include both cut and buttoned rifling. When the Marines were fielding a competitive team that would exchange wins with the Army, they were shooting Kriegers.

Earlier you had asked if there were any studies or authoritative words on the statement on the longevity of Cut vs Buttoned. Sadly, I think we'd in the sporting world would be hard pressed to find someone that did the work that you're asking for. If you think about it, the arsenals are probably the only entities with the motivation and resources to do this kind of work. Cut and button rifling are in the domain of small, boutique production in that sense. If the work was done, it was probably comparing broach, hammer forging and other high production volume barrel manufacturing.

Last edited by ChrisF; 11/22/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I’ve got a cut rifled Rock Creek #2 6.5mm 8 twist in my safe,so I’m guessing it can be done.

Stainless?

Yes sir

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I had a SS #3 Rock Creek was one of my favorites at the time, using Bartlien 2b lately both very good barrels!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking at 2 Rock Creek SS barrels now. One is a Rem Mountain Rifle dupe in 25-204. Other is a #2 in 250AI.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H.S Precision has Stainless cut rifled blanks in very light contours and fluted if you want.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Looking at 2 Rock Creek SS barrels now. One is a Rem Mountain Rifle dupe in 25-204. Other is a #2 in 250AI.

Apparently, There was a personal change at Rock a while back, I wonder if that was the jackwad that I had talked to,

You guys that had these stainless #2's and Mountain rifle 'dupes' made at Rock, About how long ago?

Those who had factory contours duplicated, did you need to send the barrel in?

I tried calling all 3 major players in this area yesterday, all closed for the Holiday.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
With the application being a hunting rig.....why the insistence on a cut rifled barrel?

Forbidden Zoner
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,839 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.