Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Looking at 2 Rock Creek SS barrels now. One is a Rem Mountain Rifle dupe in 25-204. Other is a #2 in 250AI.

Apparently, There was a personal change at Rock a while back, I wonder if that was the jackwad that I had talked to,

You guys that had these stainless #2's and Mountain rifle 'dupes' made at Rock, About how long ago?

Those who had factory contours duplicated, did you need to send the barrel in?

I tried calling all 3 major players in this area yesterday, all closed for the Holiday.

The #2 I have was a more recent production after the new ownership. I don’t see anything smaller than #3 on their ready to ship list. But they don’t normally have many ready to ship. I did not send a barrel in to duplicate. They should have all the factory contour specs already.

I have a few spare Rock std sporter blanks in different calibers that I’ve had for awhile.

Last edited by 257heaven; 11/24/18.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
With the application being a hunting rig.....why the insistence on a cut rifled barrel?

Why not?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
With the application being a hunting rig.....why the insistence on a cut rifled barrel?

Why not?

Well, for one reason....you're not considering some really good barrel mfgs. that make exactly what you're looking for. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Why not?

Well, for one reason....you're not considering some really good barrel mfgs. that make exactly what you're looking for. -Al

Well, be specific then,
What am I missing?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well, be specific then, What am I missing?

You must have a reason(s) for insisting on a cut rifled barrel. List them and their attributes relative to a buttoned barrel and we'll go from there.

Accuracy? Life? Fouling? Something else I'm missing for a hunting rig?

Thanks! -Al

Forbidden Zoner
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
People always use competition as the measuring stick for button vs cut. A good barrel is a good barrel I assure you there is one very good shooter who switched to a button barrel about a year ago. Theres more button barrels being used than you know.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I don't know, How are factory barrels made? button or no?
I do know I currently have not a single cut barrel, Just would simply like to test the waters...
Seems like my wishes of a stainless, cut, #2 or factory contour is an option, so why not?
First thoughts were to drive to Bartlein, drop off an action, return in months to pick up. Seemed easy at the time.
Given the option of stainless over CM, yes, SS wins.

And lets reread my original post. never "insisted"It had be stainless, rather,
Was wondering how my Stainless barreled Winchester M70 '06 was available to the public,
but aftermarket barrel makes said no way.......

What I would like?
An accurate barrel that requires the least maintenance, A contour that closely resembles what I have now, love the balance as is, not really interested in any 'new' surprises,
A barrel that puts the first shot POA along with the next several consecutive shots, this one does not.
Least amount of grief, research, phone calls and shipping. Depending on what choices we make, Door to door could be 6 months to possibly a year

Cost, Don't even care to think what I've spent on this rifle, at this point just want it done to the best ability of all/any who work on it.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sherm_61
People always use competition as the measuring stick for button vs cut. A good barrel is a good barrel I assure you there is one very good shooter who switched to a button barrel about a year ago. Theres more button barrels being used than you know.

You know how many tournament fishermen switched from Mercury to Evinrude?
They didn't catch any more or any less fish....

You know many World class Archers switched from Hoyt to Matthews or vice versa?

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.......

But if I'm investing another 1K into a rifle, can't I have it my way?

Sleep just seems to come easier that way.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's your money spend it how you want, doesn't matter to me.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Okay....

Here's my 250 Ackley with a Hart #2 (buttoned):

[Linked Image]

Two of my 5 shot groups @ 100 with the BIB 88's.

[Linked Image]

The Sierra 87's, 100's, and Nosler 85's and 100's never go over 1/2" for 5 shots or over 3/8" for three.

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't have anywhere near the experience with barrels as some who have commented. That said I have them and have had great pleasing results from Rock Krieger Bart Lilja and Pac Nor. I can't tell any difference between button and cut. One of the Bartliens seems to clean the best(even compared to other cut barrels from same and other makers) and the easiest no fuss just wildly accurate barrel has been a Lilja.

If I wanted a stainless barrel smaller than a Bart 2b I wouldn't think twice about calling Lilja.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Guys, I've known Al for several years. He is very knowledgeable and a Good guy. Trust his knowledge.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Your correct Kaleb the majority cant shoot the difference between good cut or button including me. People read stuff on the internet and swallow hook line and sinker. BR shooters dont tell the whole story of what equipment there using. The vast majority of us can just buy a barrel from a reputable company and be just fine. They ALL make a dud once in awhile.
I would be more concerned about who was chambering it than the barrel.

Last edited by sherm_61; 11/24/18.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kaleb
and have had great pleasing results from Rock Krieger Bart Lilja and Pac Nor. I can't tell any difference between button and cut. One of the Bartliens seems to clean the best(even compared to other cut barrels from same and other makers) and the easiest no fuss just wildly accurate barrel has been a Lilja.

You just made my decision process so much not any easier........

Thanks?

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Guys, I've known Al for several years. He is very knowledgeable and a Good guy. Trust his knowledge.

Ok, is Al the Gunsmith I'm actually looking for?
Butch you shoot competition I believe,
You about to tell me some epiphany?

It's cold windy and rainy here, 3 to 6 on the way.....
I have nothing else to do today but chat....

Ya, I'm that bored.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sherm_61

I would be more concerned about who was chambering it than the barrel.

No doubt.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Ok, is Al the Gunsmith I'm actually looking for?
Butch you shoot competition I believe,
You about to tell me some epiphany?

It's cold windy and rainy here, 3 to 6 on the way.....
I have nothing else to do today but chat....

Ya, I'm that bored.

Kenneth, I don't know if Al does work for the public. If I didn't do my own I sure wouldn't worry about Al doing it for me. I'm using a Lederer cut rifle barrel on my BR rifle at this time in my PPC. I'm using a Rock Creek cut rifle in my 30BR varmint for score shooting. Now, James Lederer and Paul Volsted were working at Rock at that time. They left a few years ago. I mostly use Shilen and Douglas for my hunting rifles. My philosophy for a hunting rifle is a true less than a MOA shooter, cold, hot, clean, dirty, or whatever the rifle or weather condition happens to be. I'm not a range whore. I don't burn up barrels and components trying for the last .050" of accuracy. I'm not saying that living at the range is wrong, it just ain't my deal.
I'm just kinda glancing at a couple useless FB games and am bored.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I've had 4-5 Harts that shot really good,1 really good Rock Creek I have an older Broughton that is a laser, but my most consistent and easiest to work up loads for have been My Bartliens, these days Bartlien makes my decision process easy!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Rock #2 in 257, #2 in 6.5, #3 in 7mm and #3 in 338. all of them shoot better than me.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wild question here but, What manufacturing process do the Major Gun company's use to make barrels,

button or other?

If anyone has talked to Rock lately, what was the estimated turnaround time?

Bartlien is still around 6 months.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

610 members (160user, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,425
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.