Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How, where, why, when did this insanity start?

A cut stainless sporter replacement barrel from one of the "major Wisconsin" barrel makers, NO can do..........

The proverbial forbidden fruit, The unicorn,

Insanity..............

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sorry you’re upset about it, but Why is this a big problem?

I don’t know why Kreiger or Bartlein, whichever you’re referring to, doesn’t do super light contours but there’s plenty of button blanks from places like Lilja or Benchmark for your pencil barrel needs. If I’m not mistaken, the point of using a cut blank over button is for precision, and barrel life. These are concerns for guys building match rifles, or custom varmint guns. Of course I would want a custom hunting rifle to be as accurate as possible but a #2 contour ultra light isn’t going to be a bench or match rifle anyway, and how many rounds will you be shooting through a big game hunting rifle per year really?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got a cut rifled Rock Creek #2 6.5mm 8 twist in my safe,so I’m guessing it can be done.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Brux does a #2 as well as Rock Creek.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chip, we were typing at the same time!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I’ve got a cut rifled Rock Creek #2 6.5mm 8 twist in my safe,so I’m guessing it can be done.

Stainless?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntr

Where ya been?

Look up............

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntr

Again, Stainless?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The on-line order form for Brux does not give the option for Stainless contour under #3....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have at least one, possibly two Brux #2 stainless & two Mountain rifle dupes from Rock Creek, along with a #2 from them as well

Last edited by chris84; 11/22/18.

Where all the white women at?
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Call them up

Where all the white women at?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Kenneth,
Call them. I am staring a a SS #2 blank from them as i type this, ordered it no problem.

Just havent been on here as much, how have you been?

Last edited by Huntr; 11/22/18.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A cut rifle barrel last longer? Did you glean that from the "Internet" or can you refer me to a scientific paper on it?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Kenneth
How, where, why, when did this insanity start?

Kreiger started that stupid crap because they got it in their head that stainless would fail at low temperatures, despite there never having been a case of it happening. Bartlein was started by guys that used to work at Kreiger so they brought that idea over with them. I'm not sure why Brux followed suit, they haven't been around that long.

I've got a Bartlein #2 in 6.5mm, I had to call Frank and plead to get them to make it for me, the first guy I talked to said no. I live in Mississippi and once the temp drops below 30F I'm inside the house. Worrying about how much cold a rifle barrel can take is right up there with what kind of snowmobile to buy on my list of worries.

Rock Creek has been the place to go for a light contour stainless barrel because I think they'll make you any contour. Mullerworks is a cut maker and they probably would too since he works with Rock Creek. Hawk Hill is another cut rifling maker and their website shows they'll make a #2 for calibers up to 6.5mm and a #3 up to 30 cal. Most of the button rifling makers will make any contour in stainless.

I personally think the cold weather thing is an excuse because they don't want to sell light barrels. Heavier barrels are easier to get to shoot well and they want to keep their reputation for accuracy intact. If someone puts a #1 contour on their 300 ultramag and it shoots poorly then it's blasted all over the internet that Kreiger makes crappy barrels and they don't want that.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
A cut rifle barrel last longer? Did you glean that from the "Internet" or can you refer me to a scientific paper on it?

You replied to the OP, but since neither Kenneth or anyone else besides me mention barrel lifeI assume your pissy reply is aimed at me Butch.

I didn’t say I have extensive experience that cut rifles last longer, or scientific evidence they perform better than button rifled blanks. Those claims are what one could gather from reading rifle forums, it’s what “they say”. But that bit of internet “knowledge”, right or wrong wouldn’t influence me too much if I was selecting a blank for a build, I’d most likely go with what my riflesmith of choice recommended.

I only brought it up to suggest it seems there are lots of sources for light contour quality blanks other than said Wisconsin barrel maker that won’t do light SS contours...

Sorry to derail thread Kenneth, good luck finding what you want

Last edited by Walter_Sobchak; 11/22/18.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak

Sorry to derail thread Kenneth, good luck finding what you want

No worries, open debate here, all in good clean fun....

Actually waiting for some insensitive meanie to call me a sissy girl that can't make simple decisions.

(eye roll)............

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I've got a Bartlein #2 in 6.5mm, I had to call Frank and plead to get them to make it for me, the first guy I talked to said no.

Rock Creek has been the place to go for a light contour stainless barrel because I think they'll make you any contour.

Understood, I had called Rock creek maybe a year ago, asked about a sporter weight and if they could copy factory contours, they actually seemed offended by the question,
Now Chris says he has Rock duplicates of factory.
Bartlein also said no.
Go figure.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I just got through reading your other thread & see you're trying to dupe a factory contour. That adds another dimension because not all makers can do that. Some have old school lathes so they stick to their standard contours, others have CNC lathes with the factory specs programmed in so they just hit a button and it spits out a winchester profile barrel. Then you add in the ones with the silly rules about small contour stainless and it gets hard to find one. I'll throw out that while I generally tend towards cut barrels the most accurate rifles I've owned have had buttoned barrels and there are more button makers that'll dupe factory contours. If it came down to choosing between stainless/chrome moly and cut/buttoned rifling I'd pick the stainless buttoned barrel every time, I don't want a chrome moly barrel on anything.

I also see you're building on a M70. You mentioned you're in or near Wisconsin so I'd call Randy Gregory at Accuracy Unlimited in Medford WI. He's a M70 guru and can steer you the right direction. I'd personally rather have a gunsmith fit the barrel than the barrel maker, especially one that knows M70's like Randy. With the barrel maker you don't really know who's doing the gunsmithing, he might or might not be good with the action you're barreling.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I just got through reading your other thread & see you're trying to dupe a factory contour. That adds another dimension because not all makers can do that. Some have old school lathes so they stick to their standard contours, others have CNC lathes with the factory specs programmed in so they just hit a button and it spits out a winchester profile barrel. Then you add in the ones with the silly rules about small contour stainless and it gets hard to find one. I'll throw out that while I generally tend towards cut barrels the most accurate rifles I've owned have had buttoned barrels and there are more button makers that'll dupe factory contours. If it came down to choosing between stainless/chrome moly and cut/buttoned rifling I'd pick the stainless buttoned barrel every time, I don't want a chrome moly barrel on anything.

I also see you're building on a M70. You mentioned you're in or near Wisconsin so I'd call Randy Gregory at Accuracy Unlimited in Medford WI. He's a M70 guru and can steer you the right direction. I'd personally rather have a gunsmith fit the barrel than the barrel maker, especially one that knows M70's like Randy. With the barrel maker you don't really know who's doing the gunsmithing, he might or might not be good with the action you're barreling.

Crow Hunter, I see Accuracy International makes their own cut rifle barrels, or at least they give the impression they make their own.

Have you ever used one? Thoughts?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Have Mullerworks cut rifled barrels in Winchester Featherweight, #1 and #2 contours....none have tried to kill me yet.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (19rabbit52, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.