Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, it's in focus at 20 yards--and so what if it isn't?

I've also shot a running wild boar at 10 yards with a 6x scope. The image wasn't perfectly focused, but I could tell the scope was pointed at the shoulders, and when the fuzzy reticle was in the right place, pulled the trigger. The bullet broke both shoulders, the pig's snout hit the dirt, and he flipped over, lying dead pointed in the opposite direction.

A scope's FOV " reduced to nothing during a charge"? Interesting. I haven't heard that from Phil Shoemaker. Maybe he'll comment here, but suspect he's still busy guiding hunters.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If Dogger is trying to duplicate the "one man one rifle" method, that is fine. Given what he has presently, I'd keep the .280 Rem., put on a 2.5-8x36 or something similar in a Leupie and sell all the rest. If I was starting from scratch, I'd get a .270 Win., same scope options and keep the "up all" weight to < 7.25 pounds.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Ray
Just keep in mind that the least you want for hunting bears, as mentioned by the OP, is a long range riflescope unless the low end of the power is from 1x to perhaps 3x. And even at 3x you could not find the right spot to shoot on a moose at 20-30 yards (all you see is brown).

I shot a moose at about 15-20 feet with 6x36 no problem. It works better if you open the other eye.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Amazing, ain't it?

But aside from that, I've generally been able to know which end of an animal the scope's pointed toward at close range, because of pointing the rifle in that direction. There's a big difference in the angle between front end and back end of, say, a moose or Cape buffalo at close range.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My LGS is going out of business; the M700 LR in 30-06 sold, as did the camo M700 in 270 that has been a wall queen for years... the RAR Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor is still there, but i spent the money on a G17 Vickers instead...

so...

i am left pondering the thought of learning how to twist turrets with benefit of a LRF... for the 300 H&H which doesn't have a scope... or stick to KISS with an illuminated duplex and LRF

i have a feeling that in Va i will get more use out of an illuminated duplex at last light...

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by szihn
You have $700 for the rifle, $400 for the scope, and $100 for the rings. No after-market parts for the rifle other than a sling. No range finder. Factory ammo only; one load must do it all. Shooting prone from a backpack rest. Continental North America. Antelope, deer, moose, elk, caribou, sheep, goat, bison, wolf, and bears. The 30-06 or the 6.5 Creedmoor are your only two choices. KISS applies for all tie breakers. Once you step away from the plane, boat, or truck you are humping this rifle in - no horses, no ATV... Describe your medicine and tell me why. Describe how you set up your ballistic dope chart for the hunt.

OK, I'll play.
Pretty easy really.

Rifle: Used M70 Winchester Featherweight , in 30-06. Such rifles are available for around $700 all the time. 6.5 CM is an excellent caliber, but if the rules say I have only 1 choice of 2, so that would mean it's my only gun. Correct? Well the 30-06 beats the pants off the CM when it comes to a one-size-fits-all cartridge.

Ammo would be loaded a Nosler Partitions or some bonded core bullets in 180 grain, depending on what shot the best in that gun. Because the rules say Bison, moose (both of which I have hunted here in Wyoming as well as other places) and Bears (that means Grizzlies where I live) I would not even consider the 6.5CM if I could have a 30-06.

For the sake of this "answer game" I assume my ammo allotment would be unlimited. If not, the rules laid down here are not realistic because for the cost of about 7-10 boxes of ammo I can buy a basic hand-loading set, and so 'factory ammo only" is less realistic then "unlimited factory ammo" would be.

Scope would be a good 2X-7X, probably a Redfield, or one of the German Fixed 4X by Kaps if I could find one used for the required $400.

No ATV and no horses? That's how I have hunted about 75% of my life and that constitutes over 50 years of big game hunting in 9 states and 5 countries. No problem that I can't overcome and have not been overcoming for 1/2 a century.

Range card?

I zero at 200 yards and I know my drops at 300, 400 500 and 550. I don't shoot past that. I have when I was younger,( quite a few times) but I grew a brain and stopped doing it around 24 years ago. I have a self imposed limit of 500 meters now. (or "close to 550 yards", about 547 actually --- but that's close enough) In that time I have never had to keep my promise to myself because I have not ever needed to shoot past 450 yards on anything, anywhere, at any time, when I was hunting. Getting that close or closer is not hard. If it is, you need to learn to hunt more then you need to learn to shoot.

So a "range card" with your bullet drops is quite easy to make, when you select the load and chronograph it for true velocity. Within 1 month of shooting you would not need a card at all. You'd remember the drops out to 550 very easily.

Next you need to shoot enough in differing wind conditions to learn your drifts. Buying gizmos is a bad way to learn to shoot well, in comparison to firing a lot of ammo over a lot of different conditions, altitudes, angles and temperatures. So this comes back to my comment above about unlimited ammo or hand-loads. When I was in my teens I shot out the throat of my 270 Winchester and I did that in 3 years, starting with a brand new barrel. That rifle went from shooting under 1 MOA to about 3 MOA so I has a new barrel put in. I had to have the gun re-barreled when I was 18. I did it again and I re-barreled it myself when I was 29. It's now on it's 3rd barrel and has many thousands of rounds fired though that one too. I KNOW how to shoot that rifle well. Ammo is needed to shoot that much. Hand loads cost about 40% of factory loads.

So that's my answers.
My choices are my own and have the same amount of merit as anyone's, and no more.

I assume that's why the "answer game" was played here in the 1st place.

I have gone through the same mental gymnastics myself, either packing in or flyin and left to hunt. Game from deer/sheep/goats to moose/elk/caribou with lots of grizzlies/black bear around. For one rifle it comes down to a 30-06/270/280/7 mag, crf (pre 64 or quality mauser), moderate leupold variable, weighing 7 1/4-7.5lbs, quality synthetic stock. I'd prefer the 06 or 7 mag for the bigger/uglier stuff. Pre 64 fwt in a mcmillan edge stock is the current rifle of choice.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
what i learned from all this is i just need to stick with what i know: my M700 in 280 Remington, and the Conquest 3-9x40; and complement the setup with a good rangefinder. by good i mean something super accurate and repeatable out to 300 yards. i doubt i will ever take a shot beyond that at a big game animal.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dogger
what i learned from all this is i just need to stick with what i know: my M700 in 280 Remington, and the Conquest 3-9x40; and complement the setup with a good rangefinder. by good i mean something super accurate and repeatable out to 300 yards. i doubt i will ever take a shot beyond that at a big game animal.

I haven't reread the whole thing to see what was said before, but if 300 yards is going to be your outer limit then you're more than well equipped with a 280 topped by a 3-9x40. You won't be needing an upper end rangefinder either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Welcome back to yourself....you've just gone full circle. Leave your looney card by the door. Been there, done/doing/did that. You won't make any friends talking that way for sure. I'm in your boat, but with a M70 270 and 330 yards is my max 'cause that's where the still is where I shoot.

Simple.

What's your ammo of choice?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As for range finder, my Vortex Ranger 1000 is a dandy. Everyone hates them too.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You have $700 for the rifle, $400 for the scope, and $100 for the rings. No after-market parts for the rifle other than a sling. No range finder. Factory ammo only; one load must do it all. Shooting prone from a backpack rest. Continental North America. Antelope, deer, moose, elk, caribou, sheep, goat, bison, wolf, and bears. The 30-06 or the 6.5 Creedmoor are your only two choices. KISS applies for all tie breakers. Once you step away from the plane, boat, or truck you are humping this rifle in - no horses, no ATV... Describe your medicine and tell me why. Describe how you set up your ballistic dope chart for the hunt.

My pick is M700 Long Range in 30-06, Burris with Ballistic Plex reticle, Federal 180 grain blue box or Premium Partition.

Virginia was south of the MD line, right?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman

I haven't reread the whole thing to see what was said before, but if 300 yards is going to be your outer limit then you're more than well equipped with a 280 topped by a 3-9x40. You won't be needing an upper end rangefinder either.

Isnt that the truth.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
looking hard at the Vortex Ranger 1300

I like pretty ammo... so for factory it is Federal, Norma, and Nosler...

handloads i like the 150 BT.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
OK, thanks for all the advice and opinions... I am going to drop the $$$ for a Leica 2000-B rangefinder.

Given:
My 280 is an M700 CDL dropped into a B&C 2265 Alaskan Ti, Talley ltwts, and Conquest 3-9x40 Z-Plex
The complement is an X-Bolt Medallion in 300 H&H... still have not decided on a scope... any thoughts on scoping the 300? scope/ reticle choice needs to offer something the Conquest and Vortex do not
The freezing cold wet lousy weather rifle is M77 Mk II in 300RSAUM with Vortex 3-9x40... duplex

I hope to get out to Quantico 1000m range next year to see what I can accomplish with each rifle set-up and that 2000-B; to gain confidence in how far i can really shoot for a Western hunt in CO or WY.

reloads: hope to settle on a 140 or a 150 in the 280, and something between 165 to 200 in the RSAUM
Factory ammo: will stick to factory in the H&H... 180 Hornady, 185 Berger VLD from HSM, and Federal 180 TBT... whatever is most consistent.

next decision in the critical path is what scope for the 300 H&H

thanks in advance...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m going howa or vanguard in either clambering in whichever configuration offered the shortest barrel on either one. Weaver scope with mildot reticle (.25mildots) in Talley lightweights. Hornady precision hunter and enough of it to get dope to 600 and I’d go hunt. Mildot reticle because of its familiarly to my eyes, user friendliness in low light, my ability to range targets with it, and either cartridge will get to 600 using milholds from the reticle, I’m guessing either/ both would be in the 4.2-4.6 mils low at 600 ballpark, Additionally It’s Pretty/very easy to range targets in the mountains with a gps map and compass and since those weren’t excluded from the packing list...

A lot You guys with your milquads etc are all hot and bothered about matching turrets, which is great, and how easy they are to zero, which is great. But the ability to range a target is truly where it’s at. Having that protractor/ ruler that allows you to measure angles is so much more than just holds, or corrections. If holds and corrections were all we concerned with- moa reticle and turrets is fine, the disadvantage with moa is that while it’s an angle measurement just as mils is and as such can be used to measure distance as well- because it’s not metric and all based on tenths, it’s very much more difficult for a brain dead like me to use...

The easiest most straightforward explanation I can give and hopefully someone more eloquent (I’m a demonstrator not an orator) can pick this up and tunnwith it.

Understanding that 1 mil subtends a meter @ 1000m or 1km, we can observe through our scope how many mils and fractions of mils a target of known dimensions subtends- and thereby establish a distance to it. So if your 1 meter target looks like a mil when it’s 1k away, if it’s twice that size it’s half that far. If it’s 3times that size it’s 1/3 as far. If it’s 4 times that size it’s a quarter of the way there.

It goes like this. Stalking through the timber I notice that the branches on the spruce up to about my waste are dead with no tips. Just sticks about 18” long justting our from the stem. Huh. I tire of the walk find a good place to sit and glass as the day begins to fade. I whip out my gps, map, and compass. With my map, I establish that the near side of the park I am glassing is about 400meters away, and that the far side is about 600. I spot a bull tucked up in the tree line and anticipate where he is likely to emerge. (We are going with the simplest math possible now for the sake of being straightforward)

I get in the prone- take up a prone e supported position on my ruck- locate the bull, breath a little and then- needing to refine my range to the bull I measure the hiefth of the dead spruce limbs (preestablished @1meter by environmental observation) and find that the live limbs start 2 mils up the tree. The bull is 500meters out and I’m holding on the 3rd mildot, good night Irene.

Last edited by 175rltw; 11/22/18.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 175rltw
I’m going howa or vanguard in either clambering in whichever configuration offered the shortest barrel on either one. Weaver scope with mildot reticle (.25mildots) in Talley lightweights. Hornady precision hunter and enough of it to get dope to 600 and I’d go hunt. Mildot reticle because of its familiarly to my eyes, user friendliness in low light, my ability to range targets with it, and either cartridge will get to 600 using milholds from the reticle, I’m guessing either/ both would be in the 4.2-4.6 mils low at 600 ballpark, Additionally It’s Pretty/very easy to range targets in the mountains with a gps map and compass and since those weren’t excluded from the packing list...

A lot You guys with your milquads etc are all hot and bothered about matching turrets, which is great, and how easy they are to zero, which is great. But the ability to range a target is truly where it’s at. Having that protractor/ ruler that allows you to measure angles is so much more than just holds, or corrections. If holds and corrections were all we concerned with- moa reticle and turrets is fine, the disadvantage with moa is that while it’s an angle measurement just as mils is and as such can be used to measure distance as well- because it’s not metric and all based on tenths, it’s very much more difficult for a brain dead like me to use...

The easiest most straightforward explanation I can give and hopefully someone more eloquent (I’m a demonstrator not an orator) can pick this up and tunnwith it.

Understanding that 1 mil subtends a meter @ 1000m or 1km, we can observe through our scope how many mils and fractions of mils a target of known dimensions subtends- and thereby establish a distance to it. So if your 1 meter target looks like a mil when it’s 1k away, if it’s twice that size it’s half that far. If it’s 3times that size it’s 1/3 as far. If it’s 4 times that size it’s a quarter of the way there.

It goes like this. Stalking through the timber I notice that the branches on the spruce up to about my waste are dead with no tips. Just sticks about 18” long justting our from the stem. Huh. I tire of the walk find a good place to sit and glass as the day begins to fade. I whip out my gps, map, and compass. With my map, I establish that the near side of the park I am glassing is about 400meters away, and that the far side is about 600. I spot a bull tucked up in the tree line and anticipate where he is likely to emerge. (We are going with the simplest math possible now for the sake of being straightforward)

I get in the prone- take up a prone e supported position on my ruck- locate the bull, breath a little and then- needing to refine my range to the bull I measure the hiefth of the dead spruce limbs (preestablished @1meter by environmental observation) and find that the live limbs start 2 mils up the tree. The bull is 500meters out and I’m holding on the 3rd mildot, good night Irene.

crazy

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems like you’d better bring you’re rangefinder Dave.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here’s another one. Pull out gps map compass and protractor. Plot own position on map. Using compass shoot azimuth to animal meat. Plot that azimuth from your own position. Utilizing your eyeballs, ID the piece of terrain your quarry occupies. Plot that point in the azimuth. Measure the distance between them with a strait edge. Hold that up to the map scale. You have now established a range to your target.

Last edited by 175rltw; 11/22/18.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Seems like you’d better bring you’re rangefinder Dave.

Yes, I will Mr Mitty.

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here’s another one. Pull out gps map compass and protractor. Plot own position on map. Using compass shoot azimuth to animal meat. Plot that azimuth from your own position. Utilizing your eyeballs, ID the piece of terrain your quarry occupies. Plot that point in the azimuth. Measure the distance between them with a strait edge. Hold that up to the map scale. You have now established a range to your target.

That sounds so much more convenient and accurate than pressing a button.

crazy

David

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (22kHornet, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,287
Posts18,467,895
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.