Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I want to get by 10 year old boy his first shotgun. I am leaning towards a 20g but can’t decide between a pump and semi automatic. I know they say the pump is a safer option, and I understand that to a point. My boy will only have the gun when he is out with me, NO ONE else.
I am a complete freak about muzzle direction and have been working with him on his BB gun for forever. His muzzle awareness is better than lots of adults I have watched. Is there any reason that I should go with a pump of the semiauto for safety?
I can definitely see an advantage to the semiauto not kicking as hard as the pump, so I was thinking that would be a very nice benefit come turkey season since my boy is smaller than a popcorn fart. Weight of the two guns is very similar as they are both youth models. Pump is a Remington and the semi auto is a Tristar which I think is a Remington clone. Pump is new and the semi is like new and only like 40 bucks more and is camo.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd go pump over the Tristar semi. My nephew is very small for his age. My brother bought him a full camo 20 gauge mossberg 500 bantam youth pump for his birthday this past summer. I took him hunting several times this fall. The kid is deadly with that gun and he loves it. It seems to fit him well and he doesn't have a bit of trouble with the weight. He's been using low base 7/8 oz field loads exclusively and the recoil doesn't bother him at all.

Last edited by Blackheart; 11/22/18.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
That’s good info right there. Thanks Blackheart

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
A pump is for sure more forgiving of some gun handling mistakes.

If you do go auto, a 1100 LT 20ga is hard to beat. A nice older Wingmaster would be high on my list.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would go with a good Pump for a new shooter. A pump action will help him learn to aim a little better to make the first shot count, and not empty the magazine trying to hit something on the second or third. My personal choice for kids is a Remington 870 with the adjustable length stock. You can add the spacers as the kid grows, and replace it with an adult stock when they are grown. I've got a lot of shotguns and love my double barrels, but I will still use the 870 that was my first shotgun often (It's 50 years old this year).

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
The only reasons to go with a pump over an auto would be cost and ease of collecting empties when fired singlely. Some might say to use a pump as it is a courtesy to not throw empties onto your neighbor on the trap line when shooting singles but there are shell catchers and rubber bands to handle that. Neither is safer as far as handling goes, one either handles the gun safely or not. We all know someone who is dangerous with a Nerf noodle and no limit on gun capacity will make them safe with a firearm.

The same goes for shooting, either you concentrate on the target and make the first shot count or you don't. Either can have a second shot readily chambered with it happening nearly instinctively with a pumps. If one wants to make either a single shot, a piece of dowel can be cut to create a plug to block off the whole chamber rendering the gun a single shot. Or, two shot or whatever depending on the length of dowel.

Even though both guns weigh similarly, a gas operated semiauto will have less felt recoil all things being equal. For someone of smaller statue and/or experience that can be a significant factor in their enjoyment.

In any event, buy for quality rather than price. A used shotgun of known reliability is far better than a new one of unproven or checkered reliability. It is also more likely to find parts, accessories, and someone familiar with fixing the former if the need arises.

Last edited by woodmaster81; 11/24/18.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
When it comes to shotguns and hunting, the side by side or over and under are far safer than the pump or semi-auto, You can just glance at a break open shotgun and see if it's safe from a good distance, you can't do that with a pump or semi-auto., they have a quick follow up shot, and you or they are not chasing hulls.

A youth or small sized sxs or o&u doesn't cost anymore than a pump or semi-auto. Think about it. Rio7

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you are a reloader or have a friend that reloads you can make some low recoil loads. Don't get an ultra light gun action type would be your call. My sons and daughters started with a 37 Ithaca 12 gauge with reduced loads. I cut 1" off the stock and put a good recoil pad on it. I knew it was throwing around 60% and POA was same as POI.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Whatever gun is chosen is secondary to letting him shoot a lot, and gun down, on a skeet field, before going after game. 5 or 6 flats, with some good coaching wouldn’t be too much.

The horse pulls the cart.

Last edited by battue; 11/24/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
battue, knows what he's talking about, good coaching and trigger time will mean a lot when you go to the field. Rio7

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agree with the notions above about fit, low-recoil, practice, even maybe coaching.

Now it wasn't said what was to be shot/hunted. But, as to the OP's question would say "either" if it's sporting games like skeet, but pump if it's any hunting. We're talking 10yo boy, just starting out, remember that time? He has enough on his mind between safe firearm handling, basics of shooting, the excitement of seeing game and being "out there", and guidance from dad in the other ear. Not to mention Susie that sits across from him in reading class. It's a lot at that age, or any age. I think there's a lot positive to be said for a bit of manual mechanical simplicity and having immediate control of when the gun is chambered or not, in the field particularly.

And I like a semi-auto, too, but while can see some possible liability, I don't see at all the auto's (small) upside ever being a real positive in this circumstance.

Anyway, it's a cool, foggy late-fall morning, sun peaking through, the steam rising from the creak below. Just took the dogs through there. Shortly will head up to the range to exercise a 1927 M12 and a 1956 A5 light. Both 16ga. Good times.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I’m in the semi auto camp, I know it’s been mentioned pump for being safer but I hafta ask?
How so?
I mean unless your hunting cold (which I doubt) what’s gonna happen? The kid accidentally fires the weapon and then what? Is he gonna fire it again? I kinda doubt it because he’s going to be so shocked and surprised by the gun going off he’s more likely to stand there with his mouth agape.
I got my kids a 20 gauge semi auto and never looked back.
They do well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been watching for a cheap Beretta 390 12 gauge to cut for my daughter's.
Nice light 12 gauge, reliable, it will function with 3/4 and 7/8 oz powder puff loads.

Everyone says get a 20.
A light semi 12 that shoots 20 equivalent loads is even nicer.

PS. You won't find one cheap.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7
When it comes to shotguns and hunting, the side by side or over and under are far safer than the pump or semi-auto, You can just glance at a break open shotgun and see if it's safe from a good distance, you can't do that with a pump or semi-auto., they have a quick follow up shot, and you or they are not chasing hulls.

A youth or small sized sxs or o&u doesn't cost anymore than a pump or semi-auto. Think about it. Rio7

Started both of mine with over and unders for the reasons stated.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am against any auto-loaders until a kid has quite a bit of trigger time behind them. They shoot something and want to run to it... with a pump they likely forgot to work the action, but if they did the safety is almost automatic. With a semi-auto they pull the trigger and it returns to hot before they think about anything...

And that goes for all semi-autos of any time. Once they have the trigger time many gravitate to the semi-autos and all is good.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I have been watching for a cheap Beretta 390 12 gauge to cut for my daughter's.
Nice light 12 gauge, reliable, it will function with 3/4 and 7/8 oz powder puff loads.

Everyone says get a 20.
A light semi 12 that shoots 20 equivalent loads is even nicer.

PS. You won't find one cheap.

That is actually my recommendation when somebody starts with a blank page. A one ounce Winchester Xtra-light or the equivalent of any brand through a gas gun has very manageable recoil. The only negative is the extra pound or so of gun weight more quickly tires someone with little upper body strength but that can be overcome with some excersize, especially practice mounting the gun a couple times a day. Not only will it build muscle but it will also ingrain mounting the gun. Just teach the kid to do so correctly as it is a lot of time and typically more money to correct a bad habit than to start with a proper one.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
You all are all talking shotgun weight and recoil that's important, but start with Safety, the break open guns are much safer than the pump or semi-auto, and the break open guns have 2 shots not 3 shots, very few hunters can get off 3 effective shots on a covey of Quail, or a flight of ducks, I started my 5 kids on single shot Savage shotguns with good fit and recoil pads, they are all adults now and we have family quail hunt every year, my girls can out shoot their better halves all day long on birds. I guide bird hunters about 4-5 day's a week from Sept. till March every year, you wouldn't believe the YHAOO'S we see. with their semi-auto's.

Rio7

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Again range time solves problems other than going live after pulling the trigger once. It serves more of a purpose than teaching technique. Familiarization of what is going on being of more than a little importance.

Then the actual physical act of working a pump becomes a pointing routine while pushing forward. Something one doesn't get with either a semi or break-open. However, today SA's are cool while pumps and break guns are old fashioned. Another outdoor show indoctrination. All the cool guys on TV use SA's and the Ducks rain down. Problem is the young and those starting out have yet to arrive at the cool guy stage.

Last edited by battue; 11/26/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I recently purchased a starter shotgun for my boys. A cheap Rock Island single shot 20 gauge that my oldest will receive at Christmas. My oldest boy is a monster at 8 years old, 4'9 and near 100lbs. If he pays attention and does what I want to see him do with this break open gun I'll take him shopping for a bigger pump or semi auto in the next year or so and my younger boys will learn on the cheap break open gun. I really like the idea of starting kids with a single shot, even my mag fed guns as a kid were used one shot at a time with the ammo doled out by my dad when it was time. That being said, the wife just picked up an 870 compact 20 gauge and we're all very pleased with it so far.

Last edited by ZKight89; 11/26/18.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 30338
Originally Posted by RIO7

Started both of mine with over and unders for the reasons stated.

Who makes one the size of that Bantam though? I agree when they are big enough but mine needs a very light gun or he can't lift it to shoot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ZKight89
I recently purchased a starter shotgun for my boys. A cheap Rock Island single shot 20 gauge that my oldest will receive at Christmas. My oldest boy is a monster at 8 years old, 4'9 and near 100lbs. If he pays attention and does what I want to see him do with this break open gun I'll take him shopping for a bigger pump or semi auto in the next year or so and my younger boys will learn on the cheap break open gun. I really like the idea of starting kids with a single shot, even my mag fed guns as a kid were used one shot at a time with the ammo doled out by my dad when it was time. That being said, the wife just picked up an 870 compact 20 gauge and we're all very pleased with it so far.

I agree with you except for one thing... those single shots are light and they are not going to fit very many kids well due to excess drop at comb. That makes them kick hard for young shooters. I started my son on a 28ga single shot and it was brutal to shoot. I was afraid I had broken him of shooting after the first time he shot it. wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Sitka Deer,
My oldest shows no signs of being recoil shy so far, he's shot my full size model 11 several dozen times at Clay's ( broken a dozen or so too!!) I noticed the single shot's comb being pretty low upon initial inspection. When I give it to him at Christmas we'll adjust length of pull for him and consider some type of cheek piece if necessary. I'm also looking into lighter loads for Clay's and small game.

Since we're discussing "first guns", my younger two at 4 and 3 will receive miniature wooden dummy shotguns at Christmas when big brother gets his 20 gauge. I plan on letting them carry their "guns" afield with us when they go to begin learning the way to handle and carry a firearm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know much about 20 gauge, but you can find 7/8 and even 3/4oz low velocity loads for 12, probably similar for 20.
If one shops carefully, Ithaca 37, Beretta, some single shots, and loads right, you can get a nice light 12.
What results is a gun that weighs just a bit more than a garden variety 20.
Add 20ga level loads, and you get a gun that absorbs the recoil, isn't too heavy, and probably patterns better.
Put turkeys on the list, and look at the numbers, then forget all the bullshit.
A normal 1 1/4 oz 12 load, matches a 3" MAGNUM 20. With less recoil, and noise.
They are not available in the premium Turkey style. But very good loads are available.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I see a hinged/break open action being touted as "safer" than other types but fail to see a difference between them. A gun with the chamber empty and the action open is "safe" regardless of the action. Once the chamber is loaded and the action closed, safety is in the actions of the person holding the gun. It is easier to see a break open action has been made safe which is a convenience to others rather than a safety feature.

As for firing, there is little difference between a double barrel, semiauto, and pump for repeated shots. Both the semiauto and the double gun are ready for a second shot once the first is fired. A pump has little in its favor over these two if used correctly as the recoil of the shot helps the shooter work the action for a follow up shot. It doesn't take much use to get shellshucking down pat.

For those worried about a new shooter having more than one round available to them in the early stages of their learning there are at least two ways they can limit shots in pump and semiautos.

First, they can do as my father did when I first used a repeater and say if he hears me fire a second round quicker than he thinks I should, then he will take the gun away from me. Knowing he meant it, I was careful how quickly I loaded follow up shells.

Then there is a second way which I implemented with my wife and stepsons. I cut a dowel to use as a plug long enough to prevent the loading of a shell in the magazine. This effectively made it a single shot or anything up to maximum magazine capacity depending on the length of the plug.

There are probably other means of limiting magazine capacity/rate of fire but these are the two I am most familiar with. Limiting magazine capacity isn't really a safety factor but it can lead the shooter to place greater concentration on making the first shot count rather than maybe a follow up one. Indirectly, it can also a cost saving feature too.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I see a hinged/break open action being touted as "safer" than other types but fail to see a difference between them. A gun with the chamber empty and the action open is "safe" regardless of the action. Once the chamber is loaded and the action closed, safety is in the actions of the person holding the gun. It is easier to see a break open action has been made safe which is a convenience to others rather than a safety feature.

As for firing, there is little difference between a double barrel, semiauto, and pump for repeated shots. Both the semiauto and the double gun are ready for a second shot once the first is fired. A pump has little in its favor over these two if used correctly as the recoil of the shot helps the shooter work the action for a follow up shot. It doesn't take much use to get shellshucking down pat.

For those worried about a new shooter having more than one round available to them in the early stages of their learning there are at least two ways they can limit shots in pump and semiautos.

First, they can do as my father did when I first used a repeater and say if he hears me fire a second round quicker than he thinks I should, then he will take the gun away from me. Knowing he meant it, I was careful how quickly I loaded follow up shells.

Then there is a second way which I implemented with my wife and stepsons. I cut a dowel to use as a plug long enough to prevent the loading of a shell in the magazine. This effectively made it a single shot or anything up to maximum magazine capacity depending on the length of the plug.

There are probably other means of limiting magazine capacity/rate of fire but these are the two I am most familiar with. Limiting magazine capacity isn't really a safety factor but it can lead the shooter to place greater concentration on making the first shot count rather than maybe a follow up one. Indirectly, it can also a cost saving feature too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

My concern about auto-loaders is about safety, not shooting too fast. If they load the gun as in a pump after the shot they have either done it quite a bit or are thinking about it and likely to realize it is now hot, or they are far enough along to automatically flip the safety on.

With autos they do nothing and it is hot again and remembering to pull the safety is much harder for new shooters.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sitka Deer,
My oldest shows no signs of being recoil shy so far, he's shot my full size model 11 several dozen times at Clay's ( broken a dozen or so too!!) I noticed the single shot's comb being pretty low upon initial inspection. When I give it to him at Christmas we'll adjust length of pull for him and consider some type of cheek piece if necessary. I'm also looking into lighter loads for Clay's and small game.

Since we're discussing "first guns", my younger two at 4 and 3 will receive miniature wooden dummy shotguns at Christmas when big brother gets his 20 gauge. I plan on letting them carry their "guns" afield with us when they go to begin learning the way to handle and carry a firearm.

Every kid is different and I am guilty of getting them to shoot very early. It is easy to screw them up. Limiting number of times they get to shoot per session and making sure you do not shoot stuff that hurts for a long time is important. It only takes a mistake or two to turn a kid off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know it wasn't one of the choices, but what's wrong with a single shot 20 for a kid's first scatter gun?

Make the first shot count, probably not gonna be a second.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I know it wasn't one of the choices, but what's wrong with a single shot 20 for a kid's first scatter gun?

Not a bad way to go, except most stocks on them are horrible. They recoil all out of proportion to what they are delivering.

At 10 my son built a stock for a 20 gauge Remington 31. A touch of cast and it is very delicate in recoil.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I agree with you except for one thing... those single shots are light and they are not going to fit very many kids well due to excess drop at comb. That makes them kick hard for young shooters. I started my son on a 28ga single shot and it was brutal to shoot. I was afraid I had broken him of shooting after the first time he shot it. wink
The NEF single shots definitely are not low in the comb. If anything they don't have enough drop.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart

The NEF single shots definitely are not low in the comb. If anything they don't have enough drop.

Not sure what shape your kids are, but I disagree completeIly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't know much about 20 gauge, but you can find 7/8 and even 3/4oz low velocity loads for 12, probably similar for 20.
If one shops carefully, Ithaca 37, Beretta, some single shots, and loads right, you can get a nice light 12.
Add 20ga level loads, and you get a gun that absorbs the recoil, isn't too heavy, and probably patterns better.
They are not available in the premium Turkey style. But very good loads are available.
I don't know where you're getting that a "normal 1 1/4 oz 12 gauge load" kicks less than a 3" 20 unless you're shooting the 12's out of a significantly heavier gun ? The standard 1 1/4 oz 12 gauge loads here are the high brass 3 3/4 dram equivalent 1 1/4 oz. at 1330 fps. The 3" 20's are 1 1/4 oz at 1185 fps. No way the 12's kick less unless you're comparing the 12 gauge to a significantly lighter 20 gauge gun. Heck, even the 3 1/4 dram equivalent 1 1/4 oz. low brass 12 gauge loads would kick slighly more than the 3" 20's in equal weight guns.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had several of the NEF singles here and can't get my head down where it should be because the comb is too high.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know where you're getting that a "normal 1 1/4 oz 12 gauge load" kicks less than a 3" 20 unless you're shooting the 12's out of a significantly heavier gun ? The standard 1 1/4 oz 12 gauge loads here are the high brass 3 3/4 dram equivalent 1 1/4 oz. at 1330 fps. The 3" 20's are 1 1/4 oz at 1185 fps. No way the 12's kick less unless you're comparing the 12 gauge to a significantly lighter 20 gauge gun. Heck, even the 3 1/4 dram equivalent 1 1/4 oz. low brass 12 gauge loads would kick slighly more than the 3" 20's in equal weight guns.

Compare the weight of 12 vs 20 gauge guns.

Model to model.

12's are heavier.

And if they are only used for shooting a turkey,
They won't really notice.

Plus,
I reload.

You are the first person to mention that the 12 load is bigger.

Most argue, "the twenty is a MAGNUM."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A pump is MUCH safer in the hands of a kid, any kid. Kids get excited, and kids forget. That trigger can get pulled a second time by accident all to easily. Have them make the first shot count, also, instead of filling the air with lead, and reduced recoil loads work well.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nothing is wrong with a SS. Find an old Savage Hammerless 220 in 20ga, so they don't get frustrated cocking the gun at flush and carry them cocked. wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Model to model.

12's are heavier.

Plus,
I reload.

I just happen to have 12 and 20 gauge pumps that are almost exactly the same weight. A Browning BPS 20 gauge and Ithaca 37 deluxe 12 gauge. The BPS 20 with 3" mags. is noticeably milder than the 12 gauge 37 with high brass loads.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Sitka Deer,

Every kid is different and I am guilty of getting them to shoot very early. It is easy to screw them up. Limiting number of times they get to shoot per session and making sure you do not shoot stuff that hurts for a long time is important. It only takes a mistake or two to turn a kid off.

I've carried my boys to the range and the woods with me most of their lives, my oldest had a few years of watching and learning before I let him shoot at the range at all. Now he's limited to 15-20 Clay's with my 20 gauge each trip and still only spectating in the field. Though I have let him carry my gun slung and empty back to the truck a few times. The younger two "help" by operating the trap remote at the clay range, picking up empties and carrying birds/ squirrels. Around 5 or so I may let them shoot at the range a time or two. I definitely agree on limiting their shooting, for several reasons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Model to model.

12's are heavier.

Plus,
I reload.

I just happen to have 12 and 20 gauge pumps that are almost exactly the same weight. A Browning BPS 20 gauge and Ithaca 37 deluxe 12 gauge. The BPS 20 with 3" mags. is noticeably milder than the 12 gauge 37 with high brass loads.

No [bleep] Sherlock.

I can also cherrypick a light Beretta O/U 20
Against a heavy 1187 12.

With your load example, the 20 will kick a hell of a lot harder.

That's why I said "WITH SIMILAR GUNS"

870, Ithaca, whatever.
The same model.

Not sure why I even acknowledged your reply.
I deal with people like you all the time.
Relatively low intelligence.
Can't step outside your wisdom to understand a new/different concept.

To the OP, sorry for the crapshow on your post.

Dillon out.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 11/28/18.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Model to model.

12's are heavier.

Plus,
I reload.

No [bleep] Sherlock.

I can also cherrypick a light Beretta O/U 20
Against a heavy 1187 12.

With your load example, the 20 will kick a hell of a lot harder.

That's why I said "WITH SIMILAR GUNS"

870, Ithaca, whatever.
The same model.

Not sure why I even acknowledged your reply.
I deal with people like you all the time.
Relatively low intelligence.
Can't step outside your wisdom to understand a new/different concept.

To the OP, sorry for the crapshow on your post.

Dillon out.
I was just trying to point out that gun weight matters. You've always been kind of a dick though so not surprised at your reply.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad started me out with a side by side and I still have several nice side by sides.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GREAT pics, luv2safari!

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had several of the NEF singles here and can't get my head down where it should be because the comb is too high.

And the last kid you saw built like you was how old?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

And the last kid you saw built like you was how old?
The point is the NEF's have less drop at comb and heel than most shotguns on the market today. I don't have trouble getting my eye down along the barrel on any of the multiple pumps and doubles I have here.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm going to suggest the pump. It's one major disadvantage for a young shooter is that it lacks the recoil reduction of a semi-auto, but with 7/8 pz loads a 20 isn't too bad in a pump. I had a close call with a semi-auto when a kid, didn't get hurt, but got excited and after the first shot forgot I had a reloaded and ready to go shotgun in my hands. Another reason I like a pump even today is that when sharptail hunting, I'm often walking across uneven ground with lots of brush. I like to carry the pump with a loaded magazine, empty chamber, trigger pulled so the slide lock is disengaged. I can work that pump as fast as I can release a safety on a surprise flush it seems to me, and I like the security of an empty chamber when walking long distances over uneven ground in the prairie.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good timing for this thread as I was thinking about this very topic today.

IMO the biggest problem with most single shot shotguns is the hammer. Having to lower the hammer on a loaded gun after cocking but not firing isn't ideal for a young hunter.

As someone mentioned in an earlier post, any gun can function as a single shot, either via a plug in a repeater or merely loading just one shell.

I like the idea of a gas-operated semi-auto for reducing recoil, but I'm wondering about the transition from loading only one (single shot mode) to loading two (repeater mode). For that transition a pump might be better. I don't think there's one best choice - each has pros and cons as evidenced by opinions on this thread.

From my personal experience I don't recommend a .410 for flying targets, but besides that I think any gauge would work with light enough loads for a beginner.

Thank you to everyone contributing their thoughts.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by saskfox
If you are a reloader or have a friend that reloads you can make some low recoil loads. Don't get an ultra light gun action type would be your call. My sons and daughters started with a 37 Ithaca 12 gauge with reduced loads. I cut 1" off the stock and put a good recoil pad on it. I knew it was throwing around 60% and POA was same as POI.

I like the idea of a single shot as others have said the problem is generally the guns are so light. What do you guys think of making a plug for a pump or auto that blocks the whole magazine making it a single shot. It would be quite easy to do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes, that would be easy and effective to make it a 1 shot trainer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I do not see the need for a plug if the kid is getting reasonable attention.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

I like the idea of a single shot as others have said the problem is generally the guns are so light. What do you guys think of making a plug for a pump or auto that blocks the whole magazine making it a single shot. It would be quite easy to do.
The Mossberg 500 bantam I mentioned earlier comes from the factory with a full length plug in the magazine, limiting it to a single shot. The stock dimensions are also meant for kids in every way. Unlike a cut down adult stock, the pistol grip is smaller in circumference and positioned closer to the trigger so a small hand can get a good grip and small fingers don't have to stretch to reach the trigger. The forearm is also positioned closer to the receiver so short arms don't have to stretch to work the action. All in all, a much better choice for a small child than any cut down adult sized gun and better than most other youth guns.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Blackheart. The Mossberg 500 bantam would be a great choice.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd go pump over the Tristar semi. My nephew is very small for his age. My brother bought him a full camo 20 gauge mossberg 500 bantam youth pump for his birthday this past summer. I took him hunting several times this fall. The kid is deadly with that gun and he loves it. It seems to fit him well and he doesn't have a bit of trouble with the weight. He's been using low base 7/8 oz field loads exclusively and the recoil doesn't bother him at all.

this is very good advise X2, I would only allow this youngster one shell at a time in his shotgun. I told my son his Mossberg 20 gauge pump was a single shot for a year but kids figure it out its a 3 shot quickly. , I also ported his shotgun right away and put a mercury reducer in stock too.Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 12/01/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Mossberg for a kid is child abuse!

wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
A Mossberg for a kid is child abuse!

wink

My nephew ain't a spoiled brat so was mighty appreciative of the Mossberg as well he should be. It's alot better than anything his father or I got. We had to buy our own first shotguns when we were kids. Not a darn thing wrong with a Mossberg anyway if you aren't a snob. I've still got two of them, one fron the '60's and one from the '90's. Both have been hunted a ton, killed lots of game and still work perfect after thousands of rounds.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,314
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.