Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Willicd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by colodog
That's a beautiful buck Willicd, I'm wondering if the bullet was a roundnose or a flatpoint.

Roundnose solid bullets can sometimes turn after impact but I don't remember having a wide flat nose or long flat nose turn.

Congrats!

Thanks! These are WFN I am shooting.

GB1

W
Willicd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by Willicd
Originally Posted by dla
I'm glad you stuck it out and tagged him - good job!
In the future, I would recommend that you take "bow hunting" shots. In my opinion, whacking shoulders just wastes meat.

I respect your opinion, however, I have bowhunted with selfbows for many years and shot placement is entirely dependent on the weapon! I believe in breaking down the shoulders with a gun since you get the running gear and the vitals....

And I respectfully disagree.

Even when hunting with a rifle, bowhunting shots are the best - by far. They kill quickly and ruin less meat.
But back to handguns, you are using a low powered hole poker. Better by far to poke a hole through both lungs than to try to break down the running gear. If you had double-lunged him you would've found him bled out likely within 50yds and you could eat the shoulders.

I kill with my bow. I can kill farther with my rifle. I aim at the same spot. Both the bullet and the broadhead make a mess of the same vitals. Rifle shot critters drop faster than arrow hit ones, in my experience. But neither go very far.

I think breaking shoulders should be applied to bitey-scratchy game.

You shoot them where you want to and I will do the same.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by colodog
That's a beautiful buck Willicd, I'm wondering if the bullet was a roundnose or a flatpoint.

Roundnose solid bullets can sometimes turn after impact but I don't remember having a wide flat nose or long flat nose turn.

Congrats!

Thanks! These are WFN I am shooting.

Well, damn. That's interesting.

Wouldn't have thought that WFN would do that.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on your buck!

My first two years handgun hunting was with a Freedom Arms 83 357. My experience says there are better calibers.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Nice shooting! Appreciate the insight on the bullet performance you encountered. Makes me feel better about picking up my Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt. I'm not a dedicated handgun hunter, but always carry a sidearm when I'm out hunting with a rifle or accompanying others, but usually one of my .357's, or a 9mm semi-auto. When Ruger started making the 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt, it reminded me a little of the old "Mountain Gun" I used to see (and long for) in the magazines in the same chambering. I picked one up and am currently developing a load for the 255gr Keith SWC. I drew handgun javelina for the spring and will carry this. I just need to learn to shoot like you now. Well done!

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Cool story

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on that fine looking muley and also on the shooting. 75 yards and 65 yards are getting out there for a revolver.

I have been a wee bit disappointed in some of the handgun shot critters that I have taken. One that sticks in my mind is a 2x3 young mule deer buck at around 40 yards with a SigP 226 in a .40 pushing a 180g cast slug at 1164fps over a chronograph. Hit him mid ribs but he still ran uphill another 120 yards before I could finish him at 25 yards.

I'm thinking like you about upgrade the power factor for this handgun hunting stuff. Next time out it's my Old Vaquero 44Mag on the hip.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats, that's a fine deer with a fine handgun! I'm hunting Kansas this year with my S&W 686 hoping for my 1st handgun deer.

W
Willicd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Well, I have an rcbs 200gr mold that might be the ticket for the .357 in the future. I am going to get a Lee 310 44 mold and mill off the shank portion where the gas check seats. This should get the weight down to 275gr or so. That should be the ticket in the 44spl. Will do the same thing with the 300gr .452 for a 45lc. I will let everyone know what the weights end up being and will offer a service to mill the gas check portion off to make a lighter plain base bullet or ream that section to make a heavier plain base bullet.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well, I have an rcbs 200gr mold that might be the ticket for the .357 in the future. I am going to get a Lee 310 44 mold and mill off the shank portion where the gas check seats. This should get the weight down to 275gr or so. That should be the ticket in the 44spl. Will do the same thing with the 300gr .452 for a 45lc. I will let everyone know what the weights end up being and will offer a service to mill the gas check portion off to make a lighter plain base bullet or ream that section to make a heavier plain base bullet.

I own the Lee 310 (and the Lee version of the RCBS 35 cal 200). I may be interested in both of the milled versions of the 310 in 44 cal from you.

Since I've begun powder coating, I find less and less use for gas checks. The most accurate 357 loads that I plink with shoot the Lee 125 fp (which casts at 130 in my alloy) water quenched and powder coated at full 357 pressure and speed.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

W
Willicd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I own the Lee 310 (and the Lee version of the RCBS 35 cal 200). I may be interested in both of the milled versions of the 310 in 44 cal from you.

Since I've begun powder coating, I find less and less use for gas checks. The most accurate 357 loads that I plink with shoot the Lee 125 fp (which casts at 130 in my alloy) water quenched and powder coated at full 357 pressure and speed.

I got a little off topic there. When I get around to milling mine, see what they weigh each way, and work up some loads, I will start a thread with a report on my findings.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I got a little off topic there. When I get around to milling mine, see what they weigh each way, and work up some loads, I will start a thread with a report on my findings.

Thanks. As I said, I am interested in said findings.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Great shooting.

dla is a fugking idiot. Pay no mind.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Great shooting.

dla is a fugking idiot. Pay no mind.

So says the forum gun fondler.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats, nice deer and open sights is impressive. Bought a 6" GP100 .357 a few years ago and sighted with 158 grain Hornady HP to use on white tails, but have yet to hunt with it. This thread is giving me some inspiration. I'm thinking of setting up in pine thickets where traffic seems to be common and just sit on the ground. Again congrats and nice follow up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
first congrats on a real nice mule deer buck!
and yeah, my brother-in-law has used a 357 mag marlin carbine too deer hunt for decades,
its lethal if the shots well placed as you found out, but Im rather sure the extra barrel length helps velocity
[Linked Image]

my brother-in laws hunted deer and hogs for many years with his, loads a 158 grain jacketed or 170 grain hard cast over a stiff load of BLUE DOT OR H110 POWDER
he prefers the 170 hard cast nei bullet,
having the skill to do so with a hand gun at 60-70 yards is impressive and far from common,
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/d...ype=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=
[Linked Image]
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

Last edited by 340mag; 12/14/18.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 21 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.